A new Blues Player question.

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by jbylake, Sep 15, 2020.

1. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Strat-Talk Supporter

I recently posed a question, and got crazy answers from playing blues on a french horn to a wikipedia link.
    However it was my fault. I asked what S/S/S pickups do you use, if you mostly play blues.
    I didn't mean what position pick-up do you use.

What I should have asked was what brand and model pickups you use if you have a S/S/S setup. Sorry for the mix up.

Can we try this again.:oops:

J.

2. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

The same answer = N4's on my Elite.

Brian H likes this.
  3. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Depends on what thought/philosophy one puts into it. Some folks like overwound/hotter single coils for that ****TEXAS TONE**** :)whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:)

I am of the opinion that good, normal single coils (like Duncan SSL1s) should get you there, with perhaps a slightly hotter bridge pickup.

There isn't a specific tone or kind of sound to play the blues. It's a language. The first guys played on gut strings and acoustic guitars.

This is going to be interesting.

dirocyn, jtoomuch and Cali Dude like this.
  4. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Strat-Talker

I remember that one. You know, a big part of the tone also comes from the amp that you are using. That said, my Buddy Guy USA signature Strat has 3 gold lace sensor pickups, a TBX tone circuit, and a 25db mid boost. It is just like the 90s Clapton model, but with ash rather than alder. I played that guitar in a couple of blues bands over a 10+ year period. I think it is a great Blues axe. I really love it through tweed amps, such as my tweed Harvard. As I said, the amp makes a huge difference in your blues tone.

bbarott, dante1963 and rafasounds like this.
  5. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Strat-Talk Supporter

Also, the title on this one is screwed up. I'm not a new Blues player, I meant a new question. Maybe I should quit posting.:D Anyway, this is more of a curiosity question than a how to question. I'd just like to hear different players set-ups.

Thanks much,
    J.

duzie and DanielB like this.
  6. DanielB

DanielB Strat-Talk Member

Hi, I just use the regular single coil pickups on my Fender Standard Strat or the humbuckers on my Gibson SG to get various blues tones, no modifications or anything like that

Groovey and jtoomuch like this.
  7. CigBurn

CigBurn You should see the other guy. Strat-Talk Supporter

My first thought is, what sort of blues sound appeals to you? For example, BB and SRV both may have great tone, but they require pretty significant changes in gear.

8. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm pretty sure pickups don't matter. I have Fender noiseless on one strat. Texas specials on another. My Epi ES-339 has Seymour Duncan Vintage Blues. My Gibson 335 has Classic 59's and my Heritage 535 has SD Seth Lover. They all play the blues pretty well for me. But the voices in my head lead me down this path so who am I to argue.

9. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

10. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth Strat-Talk Supporter

Rock what cha got Dawg! I got lots of Strats... all SSS... all with different pickups. You can play Blues on any of them. Get a decent amp and get after it!!! The amp thing is fa real... you can get a lot of stuff “tones” out of how you set up the amp... a single coil pickup can only do so much.

Not to be the bearer of bad news but practice matters more then what pickup ya got....

11. Ivan975

Ivan975 Strat-Talk Member

Exactly.

12. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Blues isn't in the pickups.

Stock pickups in my favorite.

And in my '65 Strat.

And in my '71 Les Paul Custom.

I like vintage wind pickups, whether single coils or humbuckers.

But I could play the blues on any type if I had to. Because...well...you know.
    It's not the pickups.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Whatever sounds good to you. That's the only real answer here, there aren't any "Blues pickups."

Dare1, jtoomuch and Kerry Brown like this.
  14. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Yep, your hands and your amp have more to do with it. My only Strat is loaded with the dreaded EMG’s. I like ‘em, and I’m pretty bluesy.

DanielB and fezz parka like this.
  15. JamesJoyce

JamesJoyce New Member!

I agree with everyone who says it's not in the pickups, but I have found some combinations I like better than others: I have a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge of a Les Paul with Dunlop 7s on it, does blues great (the 7s are not good for much else, I haven't been able to find a neck pickup that works with them for lead or rhythm); I have a Seymour Duncan JB on the bridge of an American Strat with EB 9s and it sounds great; I have a very old Strat with 3 Tex-Mex's (about as cheap a Fender pickup as there is) using EB 9s and it sounds fantastic; and I have a Suhr Classic S HSS with the original Suhr humbucker and EB 11s, and it sounds very good.

DanielB likes this.
  16. Tsjackson

Tsjackson Strat-O-Master

The best sounding strat I’ve ever had was a 79 with an original neck pickup and an original X-1 in the bridge (I don’t know if it was original to the guitar) AND a seven sound switch with both selected.

That thing was a blues monster.

17. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm sticking with the french horn ;)

Doc538, Groovey, jbylake and 3 others like this.
  18. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster

Any vintage wind / low output single coil or humbucker to me is tailor made for blues

my personal preferences are

Seymour Duncan SSL 1 or Classic Stack 4+ noiseless
    Fender 57/62
    Fender Custom shop ‘69
    Fat 50’s
    And pure vintage from fender
    Seymour Duncan Antiquities

There’s literally dozens more from other winders that are great like Dimarzio, Fralin, Mojotones etc

DanielB likes this.
  19. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

Same answer. Whatever pickups are already in the guitar will do fine.

Motley and Ebidis like this.
  20. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-O-Master

So many questions involved with this. Are you playing live or at home volume levels? What amp are you using? Do you use pedals? What strat blues players do you like? What do you want to change from your current tone? All that said I agree with a lot of the answers you's already received. What you already have is suitable for the blues.

RadioFM74, jbylake and DanielB like this.