a new medication

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by heltershelton, Dec 30, 2021.

1. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

Just do it Jeff. You'd be amazed at what meds you can drop/cut just by eating right and dumping a bit of weight.

I don't know if you're full on type 2, sounds like it. Trulicity/duplaglutide sound similiar to semaglutide. I wonder if they have the same mechanism and effect on appetite?

I lost 30 lbs in about 4.5 months using semaglutide.

Sixstringer107 likes this.
  2. Telecaster54

Telecaster54 New Member!

yeah, congrats on both retirement AND being in NW Arkansas. Really a beautiful area.

64 Tele likes this.
  3. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

Yep, we escaped Kansas nearly 18 years ago.
    Lower taxes was a lot of the incentive.

4. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Senior Stratmaster

The Endless Mountains Of Northeastern Pa.
    Yep, type 2. It's supposed to curb your appetite, but that doesn't work on me, I guess that's why I have so many problems in the first place. I tend to overeat if I really like something. They did have me on the semaglutide (Rybelsus) and I did drop about 10 to 15 pounds, but it was really messing up my stomach, that's why they switched me to the injectable once per week. So far so good. You're right, I just have to get in the right mindset, and DO IT.

5. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

So far so good meaning it's controlling the A1c or that it's helping with weight loss or both?

The semaglutide (Ozempic) comes in a once a week injectible too. The FDA just approved it a few months ago for weight loss.

I know a bunch of people who were prescribed it for the A1c benefit and they all said it tastes godawful and it upset their stomach. but no stomach issues from it for me.

Kinda lost a taste for food, but that's the trade off. It ramps up your pancreas and mimics the hormone that makes you feel full. I'm like you. If I like it I eat a lot of it and the semaglutide has curbed that.

It's a little hard to tell because they have me on some experimental/orphan meds that play hell with my digestive tract (not necessarily my stomach.) All I can say is the the semaglutide didn't make it any different or worse.

The only other comment i have about stomach issues is noting you're on Metformin. That stuff has been around for a century and they prescribe it reflexively because it's cheap, but it wreaks havoc with your stomach biota (good bacteria). Ask your doc if maybe the issue was with those being used in combination?

But sounds to me like the injectible you're on should do the same as the semaglutide injectible.

Sixstringer107 likes this.
  6. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Senior Stratmaster

The Endless Mountains Of Northeastern Pa.
    It seems to be working so far keeping the sugar levels down. Next A1C will tell the tale. I'm going to try and get the weight down also.

Baelzebub likes this.