A new Squier Classic Vibe 60s or a second hand MIM?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Rodrigoow, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Rodrigoow

Rodrigoow Strat-Talk Member

Hey guys,

I know this forum for a while but this is the fisrt time I register to make a question. So here it go.

I'm about to get a new strat, the one I have is a cheap brazillian copy that was given by my father more than 10 years ago as my first guitar. Now I want to meet the real deal. Unfortunately, I cannot afford an American one, either I choose a used MIM or a Squier CV, that's my money limit.

I've been going through some reviews on Youtube and it seems like Cvs deliver a good tone compared to the MIMs, some say that the CVs are the new MIJ. But I don't know, there is this luthier that wants to sell me his 2004 MIM for $800. He is the second owner and the guitar doesn't seem well preserved. I dont know what you guys think but, for me, is not much worth to have an used guitar unless it is from a vintage era, like the 60s.

The other option is for me to go for a brand new Classic Vibe 60s, for the same price of $800(taxes).

So, I'd like a second opinion on this, this it worth to go for the Classic Vibe or may I get the MIM?

2. sale83

sale83 Strat-Talker

The one that sounds and feels better.

Mr_10awg, Martin Mim, Tele56 and 5 others like this.
  3. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Can't say more or better than this. When their prices are nearly identical always choose the better player of the two....always.

Tele56 and Rodrigoow like this.
  4. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

Both the MIM and CV are good guitars but must be weighed individually. I'm no t familiar with the 2nd generation CVs made in Indonesia. Some here really like them but they are a bit different from the ones made in China. You would want to play it 1st and appraise it based on that. The MIM Standard changed over the years. Bill Alston has a site showing the years and changes made to that series. Overall they are both good guitars. Most guitars I've bought, both used and new need a setup for the way I play. Don't assume, play the MIM and feel real good about the neck.

Rodrigoow and stratocarlster like this.
  5. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

The MIM will have the 'classic' alder body/rosewood board. The CV will be nato/laurel.

Stratafied and Chuck8436 like this.
  6. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

IMHO quality has suffered with the move to Indonesia. Although that's based on a fairly small sample, and potentially confirmation bias!

Chuck8436 likes this.
  7. Rodrigoow

I played the MIM in a cheap amp and although it sounded good it didnt caught me. Maybe I need to play a lot of these guitars to establish a standard.

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

depends on how much the Fender logo is worth to you. The pickups are definitely better on the classic vibes. I think I prefer the thickness of the neck on the MIM Fender though. They're both good guitars.

Rodrigoow likes this.
  9. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

Yes, it would be best to play several guitars to help you realize which one works for you. On the other hand it takes me awhile to understand my guitars and have them set up the best they can be. If you can manage it, don't be in a hurry to buy. Currently your able to evaluate any Strat compared to the one your dad gave you, how it sounds, how the neck and frets are better/different than what your used to.

Rodrigoow likes this.
  10. FrieAsABird

FrieAsABird Strat-O-Master

If it’s not a Special Mexican model, such as the Deluxe, a signature model or one of the classic series of players, I would not bother with Mexican ones. I’m a big Squier fan, and if you can get a new CV, it’s the best thing you can get IMO... the new ones are great too.

danieldrd and Rodrigoow like this.
  11. l88vette

l88vette Strat-O-Master

I am a huge fan of the Classic Vibes but at some point you may decide to sell the guitar and at that time the used MIM will bring more money than a used CV. However you should play several before you make a decision. I did just play a new CV60's the other day and it was really fantastic. I liked it better than the two MIM standards that I have.

12. Rodrigoow

Wow

13. Rodrigoow

Yeah. That's definitely something I'll have to do.

Tele like it is likes this.
  14. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Strat-O-Master Silver Member

If you know the red flags to look for I'd go used MIM. If you're a noob, go new CV.

Rodrigoow likes this.
  15. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

I'd go new CV.

You don't know what guitar Doctor has operated on secondhand.

FrieAsABird and Rodrigoow like this.
  16. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talker

CV!

Rodrigoow likes this.
  17. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I would get the classic vibe. If buying used is not a problem, I would try to get one from 2008-2018.

I see you are in Brazil too. If you would like some help with the specific guitars you're seeing, feel free to PM.

Welcome to the forum!

18. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

$800 sounds like a lot of money for either of those guitars. Would it be less expensive for you to build a partscaster? Does Stratosphere ship to Brazil?

Rodrigoow likes this.
  19. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

I understand import taxes in Brasil are HUGE, if I am not mistaken... - so imported guitars have a much higher price. And having parts imported are unfortunately subject to the same import fees / customs / other charges, if I am not mistaken.

EDIT: Just to add also, $800 is worth a lot more in Brasil, than it is in the USA - so it is actually a lot of money, if I am not mistaken...

Rodrigoow and BuddyHollywood like this.
  20. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right!

The deciding factor will always have to be your hands and ears. However, I know the MIM hardware is likely better quality than the CV, but the CV p/u's may be a little better sounding. Some folks really love the sound of the MIM ceramic p/u's, though... In the end, every individual guitar is an animal unto itself, and two "identical" ones may sound and feel totally different to you...

Rodrigoow likes this.