A new Squier Classic Vibe 60s or a second hand MIM?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Rodrigoow, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-O-Master

Stock pickups on classic vibes are usually better than the stock pickups on a MIM strat. Other than that, I usually prefer everything else about MIM strats. Their necks just feel better to me. And you can always upgrade the pickups later on. (True, you can also upgrade the neck later on too, but at that point you might as well be buying a new guitar.)

In the end, just go with which one grabs you more. And if neither of them grab you, don't buy either of them. There are a bazillion MIM and CV strats floating around, you'll find the right one eventually even if neither of these two is the one.

Rodrigoow likes this.
  2. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely right sir. Import tax is 60% of the item's value upon arrival, plus shipping, plus insurance. All in US Dollars.

For that kind of money, OP should be able to get a very nice used Strat here. I don't know how important it is for him to buy new, but.. I know what I would do.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    The_Whale, Rodrigoow and J4ME5 like this.
  3. Rodrigoow

Rodrigoow Strat-Talk Member

They say it's because of taxes, but I don't know. I suspect fender has a larger profit margin here as well, since the market demand is pretty high.

4. Rodrigoow

Exactly. Importing anything here more than doubles the real price. And $800 in my currency is worth R$4000,00

J4ME5 likes this.
  5. Rodrigoow

Would you go for a used Fender instead of CV?

6. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

wedlcome !

i always play as many as i can and the best one is the one i buy.

i have a guitar from korea,mexico,japan and the usa and if you could sit and try them i believe you would think they are all the same "grade". it would be very hard for me to pick one if i was forced to and that is how i think people should buy stuff they are actually going to use.

same with amps, i left the house to buy an iconic amp once because i had the money and could... i ended up not enjoying the "icon" and bought an amp i had never heard of before i tried it.

i only buy with the intention to never have to replace it so i can just work at getting better and enjoy playing.

7. White Dog

White Dog Strat-O-Master

MIM Fender Stratocaster for me...from 2008 through 2016. They are great STOCK in my opinion, no need for expensive modifications and/or so-called "upgrades".
    I may be biased though, because I have four of them.
    Wouldn't trade any of them for anything else.
    Everybody's got their own taste.
    I do agree with everyone else though; if it's possible to put your hands on both of them, it would make your decision easier.

8. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely, considering the budget. If I had only 3000 reais to spend on a guitar, I would go the used CV route because it's the best bang for the buck (I have a Squier CV first generation and it's a stellar guitar). But it seems your budget is higher than that. There's plenty of good MIJ or CIJ Fenders in the used market for that money. Just my personal opinion, but I would prefer to go this route.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    montemerrick, The_Whale and Rodrigoow like this.
  9. Sparque

Sparque Seriously-Stratified Silver Member

I'm going to have to join the chorus of voices that advised you to purchase the genuine Fender.

Too many reasons to list here, but trust me, decades from now your son and grandson will thank you.

:)

Rodrigoow and Martin Mim like this.
  10. Martin Mim

Martin Mim Senior Stratmaster

Is the MIM a standard strat with ceramic pickups? I have a 2009 one, and it plays and sounds awesome. For overdriven rock and blues sounds this is the way to go.

Rodrigoow likes this.
  11. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

Yup.

Martin Mim likes this.
  12. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Most Honored Senior Member

I'm just going to take this opportunity to be thankful for my access to affordable gear.

13. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster Platinum Supporting Member Silver Member

Do they have import taxes on gifts?

14. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Senior Stratmaster

I have a 96 MIM and a 2008 CV 60. I would choose the CV everytime over the MIM. I am not familiar with the 2008 MIM not the new CV so I'm probably not qualified to answer really

digdug and Rodrigoow like this.
  15. Irzal

Irzal Strat-Talk Member

If available near you get a used rosewood fretboard MiM with preserved frets (if it's packed up with ceramics replace them with any decent Alnico Vs) and you get yourself an awesome Fender logo bearing instrument for the price of a new CV Squier...if the headstock doesn't bother you then go for a decent rosewood Alnico HSS Pacifica

16. Irzal

Irzal Strat-Talk Member

Preserved frets MiMs are to be found only if the guitar was used more as a decoratice object rather than an instrument...wait a bit for the Covid-19 guitar-drop-outs...any week now...:thumb:

alainvey likes this.
  17. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

I bought a Chinese CV 60s several years ago. It has the alder body and rosewood fretboard. I already had a very nice American strat (and a tele), and I got the CV60 as a cheap beater to use on camping trips, to hand to nephews, to have sitting around the house, etc. I was surprised what a nice instrument it is. The fretwork is good, the neck feels nice, it plays and sounds great. And I think it was only $250 at the time. Definitely a nice instrument for the money. I still play it regularly. I did replace the bridge with one that has a full-size block, but that was just being anal.

Rodrigoow and duzie like this.
  18. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

I know prices are VERY different in the U.S. than in Brazil, but a CV 60s Strat retails here for $399 new (and currently out of stock) while a MIM retails (new) for 699, and a used MIM will sell somewhere between $300 and $600 depending on condition. I gave $300 plus a $50 pedal for my MIM, and it's in great shape apart from some buckle rash. From your description, the MIM in question is what I'd call a $300 guitar, and it sucks that your market has everything cost twice as much.

For the same money, I'd rather have a new CV than a beat-up MIM. I say see if you can talk the used guitar down to $600, otherwise go with new.

digdug, Rodrigoow and Bighump like this.
  19. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

Rodrigo, vou te dizer que a linha Tagima T635 tem excelente qualidade de construção, se você escolher com cuidado na loja, tocando. E a diferença do preço eu usaria em um set de captadores de qualidade, que fazem muita diferença.

Se vc realmente quer uma fender, vai de classic vibe. Melhores que muita MIM e ate MIA. Outro dia toquei uma MIA 2002 de um amigo e fiquei bolado como a guitarra nao tem NADA DEMAIS em cima da minha Ibanez, da minha Squier ou ate mesmo da minha tagima tunada (q vendi e me arrependi).

Ja toquei muita MIM que achei fraaaca. Fender é muito hype da marca, se quiser minha opinião sincera. Hoje tem outras guitarras com melhor custo beneficio, inclusive Harley Benton e Ibanez. A única vantagem da Fender é ter valor de revenda. Boa sorte na compra!

Rodrigoow likes this.
  20. Jesse414

Jesse414 Senior Stratmaster

Welcome to strat talk glad you join and talk with us. You said the mim is not well preserved and it is 16 years old. I would not pay 800 dollars for a beat up mim. I would get the classic vibe. Best wishes what ever you decide. :)

digdug, Rodrigoow and Blackmore Fan like this.