Join Strat-Talk Today

A PSA about my videos

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bodean, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Due to FTC coppa regulations and the YouTube goobers not being on the same page. I am pulling down all videos I have posted of my/your leatherwork, and anything else I have there.
    There is too much of a gray area in their explanations of the sweep that will begin Jan. 1
    Don't know if I can go any further with explaining it here without getting the ax.
    All I know is I can't take a chance of a 42k fine per video for some stupid bullcrap that an A.I. bot decides.
    That is all till I know more.
    Thank you for all your support.

#bettersafethansorry #donttrustthegov
    #ihearmyasstastesgreatsoiamcoveringit

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

That sucks bro. I hope you can get something worked out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

3. Bodean

Ain't me it's them. This could affect anyone with a video on YouTube. Especially those that make money on their channels.

Nick-O and Guy Named Sue like this.
  4. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Sounds like Uncle SM need a spanking......with a 4" wide leather thingamajig. :sneaky:

Bob the builder and Bodean like this.
  5. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I post on YT a fair bit and I've heard nothing about this. Oddly enough, I don't have $42,000 to waste either. Who would impose this fine? AFAIK YT couldn't bill me for anything I hadn't agreed to, but I may be wrong.

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah, post the source of this @Bodean.

fezz parka likes this.
  7. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Children's Online Privacy Protection Act = COPPA.

Bodean likes this.
  8. Bodean

There are lots of YouTube vids on the subject.

9. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I don’t think I have anything to worry about. I have like five videos and one subscriber. I don’t think I’m gonna miss more than 14 cents.

Lovnmesomestrat likes this.
  10. ChuckHardwater

ChuckHardwater Strat-Talk Member

COPPA is about children under 13. How does it effect what you have on Youtube ?

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  11. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Not a bad idea.
    I just had some dashcam video examples for sharing on a couple of forums I no longer participate in, and some motorcycle trip videos.
    Whopping 60 views and nothing recent... I killed them all and flagged the channel as "no content for kids"

I agree completely... it's not worth the risk, no matter how slight.
    Due Process doesn't apply to Youtube and even if it's BS, I don't have the resources to defend myself in court.

12. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

If any content is determined by YT's AI to be of interest to children, certain privacy standards apply.
    I have no idea how it works, and what the content creator is supposed to do about it either way when YT has control over user accounts.
    For that simple reason, it's not worth the risk for a hobby.

Guy Named Sue and Bodean like this.
  13. ChuckHardwater

I've just gone over a Youtube video regarding this. It is a strange way to do things.

Is the video made for kids (Under 13). ?

Well, I could make a very explicit but factual sex education video. It is actually made for kids but I don't think this is their intention.

EDIT: They have not gone down the road of a rating system like movies and also I don't remember ever being asked my age when I have used Youtube

14. Bodean

Here is the basics.
    When you upload a video to YouTube, you have to check one of two boxes. It is for children or is for adults.
    There is a huge gray area in between, because there is no middle ground.
    Because one of my straps has a baseball on it, it falls under kids under FTC guidelines.
    I'm not worried about my content being kid friendly.
    What I am worried about is some power to be deciding what is or what isn't. If they decide you made a wrong decision on choice it could cost you, the creator of the video. Either in a fine, or bunches of dollars paying a lawyer to defend your ass.
    I watched the videos on the FTC sight, and watched other lawyer goobers trying to sipher this crap.
    I don't have time or the money to hope a simple video falls under guidelines that are vaguely set. And a gov watchdog is involved with their A.I. bots to scan videos and flag anything questionable.
    I have been railroaded before by the judicial system, I ain't taking the chance over something silly as a stinking video.
    If you want to do find out more, I suggest you look it up on the interwebs, and investigate it for yourself.
    I am no lawyer and can't offer advice.
    I have little ass left as it is, and I am covering mine till this is sorted out
    I imagine there will be a big stink raised about it sometime after the first of the year when the shtf, and tons of people making money on YouTube gets their channel shut down, or leave.
    I don't make money on YouTube so I don't care about my channel. I just use it to upload videos to post elsewhere.

tery, Guy Named Sue, CB91710 and 3 others like this.
  15. ChuckHardwater

Yes, this seems a very strange way to do things and I don't blame you for just washing your hands of it.
    A guitar strap is not intended for either kids or adults just as it is not intended for males of females. It's intended for anyone that wants to strap on a guitar.
    I don't understand what they are trying to do with this ??

CB91710, Bodean and circles like this.
  16. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I swear I'm ready to get a server of my own here at home and have complete control over the content and by pass YouTube and Vimeo completely. No resources at this time.

17. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Make a new and improved ST while you are at it. You could call it S-Type talk. At least you care about most of the rest of us here.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Guy Named Sue, Bodean and circles like this.
  18. Bodean

Yep. The FTC covers some middle ground in their guidelines on this, but YouTube chose not to. The answer I found was to save money.
    The gray area is the size of Texas.
    There is enough crap in life to worry about. Who wants to worry about the feds coming down on you for a stupid video.
    Whether you had good intentions doesn't matter. You're guilty till proven innocent in this country. How much would it cost you to fight a claim? If it happened.
    This all started because Google and YouTube were using info from kids. It cost them a 170 million fine in April. About a half days of earnings for them.

19. ChuckHardwater

The other thing I noted about this was the way one countries law is being exported to other countries. Youtube (like all of the Internet) is a WORLD WIDE resource and although I am obviously in agreement with safegarding children I think it has certain ramifications. For example, if Uzbekistan introduces certain legislation do you want to be held accountable in a country that has no such law.

There are many issues and dilema's that are to be faced in the future. Hopefully they are solvable. (You know they heralded Television as an incredible tool for education and all we ended up with was lousy reality shows !!)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 12:17 AM
    Believer7713 and Bodean like this.
  20. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    "When you upload a video to YouTube, you have to check one of two boxes. It is for children or is for adults."

I literally just uploaded a random video from my iphone as a test and didn't have to check any boxes. There was a blurb at the top of the screen saying my video had to comply with COPPA but that was it. That's odd.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.