Join Strat-Talk Today

A PSA about my videos

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Bodean, Dec 2, 2019 at 8:55 PM.

1. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Counting headlice on the highway Strat-Talk Supporter

Starting in January 2020, if creators mark a video as directed at kids, data collection will be blocked for all viewers, resulting in lower ad revenue, and those videos will lose some of the platform’s most popular features, including comments and end screens.

Google confirmed that this new system was the result of a landmark $170 million settlement YouTube reached with the Federal Trade Commission in September for allegedly violating children’s privacy. It’s the largest fine ever collected under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), which forbids collecting data from children under the age of 13 without explicit consent from their parents. In this case, the ruling means YouTube can’t employ its powerful ad-targeting system on anyone who might be under the age of 13 — a dire problem for a platform with so many young users.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13...coppa-ftc-fine-settlement-youtubers-new-rules

rgbedard likes this.
  2. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

3. Bodean

4. Bodean

I suppose this means everyone who keeps their videos up would be responsible to go back and check the boxes for all old videos on their channel.

Nick-O likes this.
  5. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Guess we'll find out next month. I've got over a hundred videos on youtube but only leave them up so my wife can go look at them after I pass. Nothing to make money on, just me playing guitar badly and some videos of my daughter and her gymnastics routines.

Bodean likes this.
  6. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

We support you Bo .

Bodean and duzie like this.
  7. Bodean

I appreciate that.
    My PSA was more to let those who may not find videos I had taken of leather straps I made, a reason why you won't find them any more.
    Am I being over reactive?
    Maybe, but I can't risk it. Things on you tubes end will need to be sorted out and the dust needs to clear.
    Even if folks still keep their videos up. You may need to check your compliance. I was just curious yesterday and stumbled upon this. It's not like they are gonna let everyone know by sending you a message.

CB91710, tery and duzie like this.
  8. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

When I was going through deleting the videos from my two accounts, it was odd... One account had the option of making a default selection of "not for children", "for children", or "select for each upload"... the other account (the older of the two) did not.
    Some videos I could tag directly, others I could not, and it was tedious navigating to where I could delete my own videos.

It really is BS. This is a problem that YT (and Facebook, and others) have created themselves because of the way their tracking systems follow users' activity around YT and other online activities.
    THEY are tracking.
    THEY are targeting advertising based on those tracking results.

But now it is the content creators' responsibility to make sure that YT does not violate the privacy of children? :banghead:

So flag all of your videos as for children... YT won't track and you won't be in violation... but then your video will also not be promoted because YT cannot target advertising at children.
    I guess that is one solution for hobby type video sharing where we really don't care about promotion, views, and monetization.

Bodean likes this.
  9. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Strat-Talk Supporter

Youtube "needs" to go to login only, no anonymous viewing.

They said you needed to be 13 or older to get an account, but were tracking non-logged-in users that turned out to be a lot of children under 13. Wow, big surprise there. They got caught, and fined.

Now, they are pushing back onto content creators, because Youtube obviously doesn't want the liability.

Youtube is blaming it on COPPA, but Youtube has a choice in how they implement this, and they're pushing it all back on content creators.

It's probably looking a lot worse than it will actually be ... but who knows? Our species isn't known for a high aggregate intelligence ...

CB91710 and Bodean like this.
  10. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Blame it on irresponsible parents who do not supervise their children .

CB91710 and Bodean like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.