A reliable vibrato - abusive strat, on a budget..?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by 123223, May 20, 2020.

1. 123223

123223 Strat-Talk Member

I understand... that is exactly something i was thinking about...after not having a FR for long, and playing it again...its..too floating..?everything becomes too touchy, that it influences a lot on the feel of the playing... demands tender surrender..:D which was actually recorded on a strat..at least some parts..if it is truthful info...

So i get it that stiffer 6screw is closest to the fixed bridge in feel out of all the options for mechanical enhancing and broadening vibrato technique...

Last night, was thinking a lot about all this...and FR is definitely out of the equation, and 2p as well...
    Actually at this point i am closest to staying hardtail and actually working on expanding my vibrato intensity to the max without tremolo (yeah, surely there are things which cannot be done...but will try to find useful alternatives to those notions)...

So most probably staying hardtail..although it would be intriguing to test the 6 screw once set up well...
    But thank you for all this information...it got me going thinking on som eother things, or confirmed some suspicions at least... and helped...!

Thanks man, that's a big help!

2. 123223

123223 Strat-Talk Member

Offtopic, but not that much...
    Tremking unit seems interesting...

3. 123223

123223 Strat-Talk Member

After summarizing all the thoughts and gathered info, the decision at this point comes to this:
    Vintage V6 vs SQ CV 60

Taking each of them in stock condition, as they come, which one would have your vote for the Henderson/Beck type of vibrato usage?
    (with the right setup, which is tremendous importance here, yes)

V6 comes stock with all the major parts involved in this function already "reinforced": tremolo unit+nut+locking tuners...
    On the other hand, it seems that CV comes with a reliable set of everything...

Any further input is sincerely appreciated!

4. fezz parka

fezz parka Duke of Dilligaf Strat-Talk Supporter

I would use the stock vibrato. Give it a proper setup. That's the bridge and the nut.

I don't lube anything. If the nut is cut well and the string path is clean (free of burrs and grooves) it'll work well.

The key is the six screws on the bridgeplate.

https://www.strat-talk.com/posts/3715970/

123223 likes this.
  5. 123223

123223 Strat-Talk Member

Stock vibrato on which one...?
    As i am planning purchase...deciding onto which one...:)

6. fezz parka

Are you buying this guitar?

Use the stock bridge/vibrato that comes with the guitar. Thinking about upgrades before you have something in your hands is a waste of time.

Get the guitar. See how it works. If after a proper setup it doesn't meet your expectations, then think about changes. ;)

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  7. 123223

123223 Strat-Talk Member

CV 60 is one of teh options i described in that post...at least what i wanted, i am not sure at this point...
    but aim of teh thread is to decide which one.. CV, V6..Pacifica...

I agree..i always like to exaust everything stock...and than some.prior going into mods...
    in here just being precautions gathering information and calculating for worst case scenarios

8. fezz parka

You don't know anything until its in your hands.

Electgumbo likes this.
  9. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth draggin' knuckle breather Strat-Talk Supporter

I just rec'd my bladerunner bridge. It seems very well made. I think I'm going to like the arm, it's a little shorter and it looks like it have a better overall shape. I think the whole thing ismade of gravitainium...it seems very heavy for it's size, I would know for sure until I have the stock assy off.

10. chicago slim

chicago slim Strat-O-Master

^ This!

I have two Classic Vibes. One has the original tremolo, the other is upgraded to a Fender Mexican Trem. Set up the original unit yourself. Do not pay someone else to do it, or you will forever be at their mercy. Tremolo adjustments will impact string height, and the playability of your guitar. If you are unhappy with the original tremolo, you can replace it with a Mexican tremolo, for a reasonable price.

The Mexican tremolo works better for me, as I have 5 similar Trem's on my other Fender Strat's. I am used to the length and shape of the Fender tremolo arms. Plus, the Classic Vibes don't take a tremolo spring, to hold the arm in place. This is important to me.

Although I don't do deep dives, I use my tremolo all the time. Enough, that when I tightened the outer Trem screws to take the strain (as people on this forum suggested), leaving the inner 4 screws a little looser, I wore out the outer plate holes. It only took about two months of average playing, for me to do this. But being that it was a Mexican Trem, I was able to replace it for under $40.

123223 likes this.
  11. 123223

123223 Strat-Talk Member

Very very good post..thank you for sharing...!
    I fully agree with doing setups on your own...otherwise it remains a secret..we need to know our tools..!:)
    i had FR terms for years, so i been in teh shoes... I remember my first guitar with a good FR term on it arrived...it arrived absolutely horrendously setup... it was scarry since i payed a fortune for me at the time for it..it was Ibanez Guilbert sig... and took me whole day of sweating and concern... but was incredibly valuable, although stressful situation...:)
    Stressfull not because of teh way FR is set up, but me worrying if teh seller sent me a lemon, judging from the way it was set up...
    Strings were completely detuned, trem at random height... horror...!
    i loved that guitar, played teh **** out of it, wore the frets so soon..:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.