A Stratocaster is better than a Les Paul because?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratafied, Sep 8, 2021.

1. brokenbar

brokenbar Strat-Talk Member

In the spirit of this thread - A Strat is better than a (Les Paul) Gibson because you are taller than 5'3"
    25.5 scale > 24.75, and matches standard Classical Guitar
    7/16 (over 11mm) between strings > 10mm

(Also, really frustrating, it is the rare Gibson with 24 frets, as opposed to every SuperStrat. Gibson became like collector baseball cards and stopped improving, a ghost since bankruptcy a few years back, so why are we even discussing this???)

2. Strangher11

Strangher11 Strat-Talk Member

I have to admit, there's nothing like the feel of the neck of a LP, they play like butter. they're two different animals ... compare Jeff Beck playing both and you can hear the differences,

Stratoskater likes this.
  3. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

I have a couple of Carvin DC-145s and one LS-175.

The DC-145s have a super strat body shape, HSH pickup configuration with a five-way, master volume, master tone and a bridge pickup add-in switch. Neck-through construction with no neck heel, 24 frets, straight-pull headstock. Depending on the year of manufacture, they have either a 24.75" scale or a 25" scale. The bridge pickup add-in switch allows me to add the bridge pickup to the two most forward positions on the five-way, which effectively duplicates the LP's middle position and adds a useful position that the strat doesn't have, respectively. The DC-145s also have a pair of coil tap switches for the humbuckers, which effectively allows me to use three single coil pickups, ala the strat. If your humbuckers are hot enough, you get good single coil sounds when they're tapped. Body/neck woods are mahogany with a maple cap.

The LS175 Carvin is the same DC-145 configuration, but with a 25.5" scale (made in one year only - 1991) and 22 frets. This one is solid koa, body and neck, but with a "tilted pointy" Jackson style headstock. Again, the configuration and the switching allow me to get both strat and LP sounds, but in a much easier-to-play guitar compared to either.

4. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

There are a ton of Superstrats with 24 frets. Hard to miss in the mid-late '80's, though most were 24.75" or 25" scale guitars with neck-through (or similar) construction, but there are some 25.5" versions as well.

Gibson made the M-III superstrat that had a unique switching setup (you could run it either as a strat with five-way and single coils or, with a single mini switch change, you could run it as an LP-style with an additional option plus a killswitch). Interestingly enough, Gibson also made a series of Studio Lite guitars with the same three pickups and the same M-III switching setup. It has the same neck and body as a standard Studio, meaning the same clunky neck/body join and the same 24.75" scale, but the pickups are far more versatile than anything they've done since. Early '90's, I believe, for both. Hard to find either; they weren't very popular among Gibson customers.

5. Strangher11

Not sure that was meant as an attack, Skydog was Duane Allmans nickname ... :)

Stratafied likes this.
  6. Strangher11

Versatility, weight, contour shape, it's just a completely different animal bro.

Stratafied likes this.
  7. bmikultyak

bmikultyak Strat-Talk Member

My Ibanez Talman is strat like and with the SD hot rodded humbuckers has a great sound. I always thought LPs looked weird as well as SGs but to each his own. I'm plenty happy with the Talman and everyone who played it agrees about its action and sound. Ibanez Talman TC220.jpg

Stratafied likes this.
  8. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Strat-Talk Member

Skydod was the nickname for Duane Allman

Stratafied likes this.
  9. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Strat-Talk Member

I have both, and they are my main stage axes.

StratoMutt likes this.
  10. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talker

Actually it was SkyDOG .

11. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

12. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

I like that simple look on an LP..no.binding and a simple faded burst. Looks toney.

13. Dain Bramage

Dain Bramage Strat-Talker

Because Stratified is having fun with this one, I thought one more monkey wrench would be interesting. I notice a lot of responders typically polarize a bit from live play to studio play. If given studio parameters, I can formulate per track a bit. But, for live purposes, if I will need to cover a wide range of tones with a tolerable degree of authenticity, I suppose I may be utilizing the bastard son of the Strat and the Les Paul as my go-to. I have a few BC Rich Outlaws (non-trem) set up mostly the same. They are bolt-on neck, carved top/offset shape string-through body and a flat radius neck action that allows shred-to-blues easily. I do install real tuners (18:1 Grovers) and EMG 81/85. I take two of different colors on stage so I have a backup. So... I think that puts that view in a "both or neither" scrum pit.

14. Gas4Strats

Gas4Strats Strat-Talker

A Stratocaster can sound like an LP (HSS) but a Les Paul cannot sound like a Stratocaster.

15. semka

semka Strat-Talk Member

It depends, some LPs and SGs with split coils can be convincing.

16. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

Textele, JB74 and StratoMutt like this.
  17. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

18. TimJ

TimJ Strat-O-Master

They reissued the MIII in 2013 and it died a death…just like it did the first time they launched it in the 90s.

Imagine bigger negative market forces than:

1) it’s grunge time now - shredder guitars are bad
    2) Gibson shouldn’t make Superstrats, they should just pump out endless Les Paul/SG/335/V/Firebird variations (on the electric side) forever.

But let’s face it, the guitar market is super-conservative.

No-one went broke under-estimating the appetite of the electric guitar market for innovation - strange when you think how left-field the original Strat design must have once appeared, but hey.

19. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

temp2.jpg

You think you have problems?

Ebidis, ZlurkCorzDog and Textele like this.
  20. David Garner

David Garner Senior Stratmaster

This is not an either/or question:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ZlurkCorzDog, Textele and kdines like this.