A Stratocaster is better than a Les Paul because?

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
Not better, you must have both.

I had an editorial job up for grabs on a magazine for musicians about 20 years ago, so I set every candidate the task of writing a few hundred words on the topic "Which is the better guitar, the Fender Strat or the Gibson Les Paul?" A couple of the candidates came up with some plain vanilla internet cut-and-pastes, but the winner successfully argued "You need both", so we gave her the job. ;)

In my case, it's a Strat and a 335, but much the same idea.

grantinvanman41

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 18, 2022
Canada eh
Maine actually but that’s a suburb of Canada in the summer eh?
Oh yah, you betcha! How’s it going, now?

I haven’t actually been to Maine, despite being in sunny Gagetown, New Brunswick for some time (tracking … ).

Someday, this pandemic’s gonna end.
Cue: LCol Bill Kilgore, wistfully looking off into surf, smoke and sounds of helicopters in near frame.

Nick L Plate

Strat-Talker
Sep 15, 2020
Santa Barbara
Because I say so.
Of course, I speak only for myself.
I have both and have played them both endlessly, and after so many years I must say that the LP is starting to look to me like an antique, and the Strat looks timeless. I'm also finding the Strat to be more responsive and articulate, sonically -- not by a lot, but by a little -- though enough to make a difference.

SIngles Forever

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 14, 2019
Montreal
For me self .
1. Versatility
2. They just look beautiful, iconic.
3. They don’t look like a pregnant violin.
4. Easy to work on and mod.

There's only one answer to this question, and it's the same answer SRV and Jimi would give without a moments hesitation: the single coil pickup design and pickup body placement delivers a touch sensitive, dynamic, percussive, organic, open, and ultra detailed sound that no Les Paul can come anywhere close to giving.

A silly question really.

Stratafied

Dr. Stratster
Oct 29, 2019
North of South
There's only one answer to this question, and it's the same answer SRV and Jimi would give without a moments hesitation: the single coil pickup design and pickup body placement delivers a touch sensitive, dynamic, percussive, organic, open, and ultra detailed sound that no Les Paul can come anywhere close to giving.

A silly question really.
Perfect answer!!

Hanson

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 3, 2016
Mesquite, Texas
I had an editorial job up for grabs on a magazine for musicians about 20 years ago, so I set every candidate the task of writing a few hundred words on the topic "Which is the better guitar, the Fender Strat or the Gibson Les Paul?" A couple of the candidates came up with some plain vanilla internet cut-and-pastes, but the winner successfully argued "You need both", so we gave her the job. ;)

In my case, it's a Strat and a 335, but much the same idea.
I’ve also grown to be a bigger fan of the 335 than the LP. Fortunately, I can have and do have a 335, LP and Strat. They all get along and play nicely together. Guitar hatred is a learned behavior.

Caddy

Strat-O-Master
Aug 30, 2016
Indiana
Not sure why about the Strat and LP, but if I have to list in order it would be
1. Tele
2. Strat
3. LP

Neil.C

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 3, 2012
Surrey, England

A silly question really.

Yes, Jimi sure hated those humbuckers. :p

1650440547197.png
1650440603890.png