A superstrat-HH guitar that sounds as big and full as a Jem but has NOT ultra thin neck and Floyd?

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by davidrf, Feb 21, 2020.

1. davidrf

davidrf Strat-O-Master

Hi there,
    I'd like to buy a Strat (or similar) shaped guitar for my heavier sounding needs. I checked out both Ibanez AZ2402 and Ibanez MM1, and even though they are exceptional guitars, their sound is pretty reminiscent to a Strat on steroids. You can clearly hear that mid-range focused sound. I don't want that, since I already have that kind of sound (more or less) on my AmDeluxe HSS.

I'd like something that, just to make the simplest possible example, sounds more like a Les Paul than a Strat. Fuller, bigger, more ballsy. I have tried an Ibanez Jem and that thing sounds incredibly HUGE and monstruous, but I hate both Floyd Roses and Wizard necks.

Does anyone have a suggestion? To recap:
    - strat-like body
    - HH
    - full, huge sound like a Jem
    - no ultra thin necks
    - no floyd rose. best of all if hardtail

So far I only found a possible candidate: the ESP Horizon III

Thanks!

2. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

Charvel?

mikej89 likes this.
  3. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Yeah easy charvel san dimas or so cal . No other choice really worth having , or an rg Ibanez and swap the pups to jem pups.

dogletnoir likes this.
  4. NewStratLover

NewStratLover Strat-Talk Member

Charvel or jackson pro.

5. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Any Strat will do, just put an HSH pickup config in it.

TangerineDog likes this.
  6. Dr Cannonball

Dr Cannonball Strat-Talk Member

Music Man Majesty may fit what you’re seeking. Neck is relatively thin still, but doesn’t feel as ultra thin as wizard. Huge sounding dimarzio pups, floating bridge, sophisticated electronics with boost circuit.

7. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

As one who has a number of varied Strats, and many varied Teles, I've made some which sound like just what you are interested in. Once you have one or two "typical" Strats, it's nice to add one or two that give you something really different!

This Fender Strat has a pair of Gretsch HS Filter'trons pickups and sounds AMAZING!
    [​IMG]

This one is a Fender American Standard Strat with a pair of Gibson Classic '57 pickups - sounds awesome!
    [​IMG]

I've done similar things with Fender Teles. Witness...
    [​IMG]

This Sea Foam Pearl Fender Tele has a pair of DImarzio PAF Master pickups in it. Great full-tone with clarity and sparkle.
    [​IMG]

I'd say that once you have your "basic" Strat and Tele guitar configurations covered, then it's awesome to add some more... with varieties of different pickups - purely for the joy of having a nice tonal palette at your disposal!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  8. NewStratLover

NewStratLover Strat-Talk Member

With the right pickup like a dimarzio sd or super 3, or maybe a duncan custom 5 you can get real close to what you want. Maybe on a guitar you already have. IMHO pickups, the nut and bridge are most of the tone on a solid body guitar. Just my 2 pence though.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Get any Strat-like object. Best value is going to be a used Fender MIM Strat. If you go Squier those are too skinny of necks. If you go Fender MIA you are not being value conscious.

Buy an HH pickguard on ebay/amazon for $10

Buy a set of Gibson pickups AND Gibson pots with matching caps.

Do a full cavity shielding job with aluminum flashing tape (nashua brand is good), and a shielded cable to the jack (no, just twisting the wires there is not good enough)

Block the trem like Eric Clapton approves.

Or, you can buy a stock SSS Fender MIM Strat and rewire it with an Armstrong Blender, putting a 500kohm volume pot in it. Then dial back to classic Strat SSS tones when you want or leave it in Super Strat HSH or anywhere between. A pair of 6kohm Strat pickups gives you 12kohm series humbuckers and the blend lets you hit PAF 8kohm range too.

Here's my MIM Strat wired up with an Armstrong Blender and a $10 (reverse Hendrix bridge) pickguard.
    The Tele Esquire (Junior) has a split bobbin humbucker run with a 4-way switch.

[​IMG]

TangerineDog likes this.
  10. crazyrachey96

crazyrachey96 Strat-O-Master

Just get another HSS or HSH strat and put different pickups in it. If you like the sound of the JEM, use Evolutions. Job done.

TangerineDog and dogletnoir like this.
  11. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

Buy an SG

Cerb likes this.
  12. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-Talker

AA4891AA-176B-476E-ADB1-32F36F995027.jpeg

One of these! Guitarist not included

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Any Strat with HBs will do what you want. I've got two right now, both sound huge and heavy.
    I AM using a Jazz/ JB Combo with A2s however…

Well... those are Fender-based Superstrats with Fender licensed neck and body carves mainly characterized by high Output pickups, so there are some other obvious choices as well if you're willing to change the pickups... like a PRS Silver Sky :D

If changing pups isn't an option however, then a Charvel is definitely the way to go.
    they make them in metallic Purple as well :rolleyes:

I've said it before, but you've got class...

14. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

I have the Ibanez 2402 and the Charvel DK24. I would say look at the DK but they do have pretty thin necks and the 2402 is not something I would personally swap PUPs on. I saw ESP listed, they have a great feeling neck but it may be on the thin side for you. Ola Englund's Solar brand might be worth looking into. The reviews I've seen mention the neck is thicker than expected and to my ears they sound pretty damn good.

15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

PRS Custom 22

16. Agtronic

Agtronic Senior Stratmaster

wow, great collection. I’d really love to hear what this one with the Gibson PAFs sounds like! Any video or sound clips?

17. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member Silver Member

Similar to what others have said already, I'd say buy any strat-style guitar and swap in Evolution pups; either just the HH or the full HSH set (as on a JEM). You can deck the trem to approximate hardtail as actual hardtail strats can be hard to find. If money is no object, can buy a hardtail strat body from Warmoth.

Good luck, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding what you're after!

18. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-O-Master

Find a hardtail strat shaped thing that sounds fat unplugged with a neck you like.
    I like mahogany and heavier basswood bodies.

Add dimarzio breeds for a vintage fat sound.

19. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Senior Stratmaster