Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

A Tail of Two Basses

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by Green Craig, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I had the fortune of coming into a small amount of money, so when I was into the guitar shop for lessons today, I had planned on purchasing a Squier Bronco Bass. But then, the shopkeep pointed me towards an Ibanez GIO bass that's still within the price range of the aforementioned Bronco. I played around with both, and while the Bronco is sketchy and awesome, the Ibanez was modern and awesome.

Pros for the Bronco
    -Price
    -Awesome punk rock vibe
    -Torino red!
    Cons for the Bronco:
    -Nonstandard bass pickup
    -Not as much sustain and reverb
    -Not sure what the body is...plywood? Paulownia?

Pros for the Ibanez
    -Solid mahogany body
    -Standard humbucker pickup
    -Thumpy, slappy, and really nice bass sound
    Cons:
    -Price (is more expensive, albeit only slightly)
    -I don't like the natural finish
    -The GIO line has always seemed suspect for me.

So, while I'm now stoked on guitars and basses, I'm horribly conflicted as to which one to buy! Any advice is appreciated.

craigh likes this.

2. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    While there's several Gio models out there, both of these basses have their strong points. Keep in mind, the shorter scale Bronco with it's OEM pups is sorta unique-not necessarily in a good way. It looks like the choice of drop-in pickups for the Bronco could be iffy.

Overall, my vote is for Gio models considering the factory pickups, and overall features.

3. Hugh

Hugh Needs Mo Motown Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 26, 2009
    Louisville (KY)
    Be patient and find a Peavey Foundation with Super Ferrite pickups. (The pickups have Super Ferrite written on them)

Made in the USA, and if you're patient you can find one for the price of the Squier.

Namelyguitar likes this.

4. Green Craig

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    Oh, one more pro for the Bronco: for being a self proclaimed Fender guy, I don't actually own a single Fender guitar!

The reason I'm set on buying a new one from this shop is that it'll include a fresh setup and new set of strings...and the tech is a wizard in that regard. He can make a guitar that plays like a wet fart into a dream machine.

5. Green Craig

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    I pulled the trigger on the Ibanez. It's pretty comfy playing it more upright, orchestral style, on my left knee (I'm right handed). I have a hard time playing it like a guitar, across my right knee...I've got flexibility issues in my left wrist which are slightly alleviated playing it upright.

I did about 45 minutes on Rocksmith just fartin' around with the basics, and even stuck my nose into Mountain King from the Bachsmith collection...it's a lot harder than what I remember of that song on tuba in 7th grade...

6. Green Craig

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    Obligatory pic bomb:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nice mahogany body, with a standard sized bass humbucker. I've got a few ideas on sprucing it up and making it my own, aesthetically at the very least...I've got some chicken head knobs for another guitar, so I might take the speed knobs off of that guitar and put it on the Ibanez.

Hugh likes this.

7. jatremayne2

jatremayne2 New Member!

May 5, 2017
    US
    I think you are gonna find the pickup is just a regular old strat single coil

8. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    Congrats............ that looks awesome.

What's that puppy weigh?

What are those string wraps at the tuners?

9. Green Craig

Oct 15, 2012
    Michigan
    It's not too heavy. I haven't weighed it, but it doesn't weigh a whole heck of a lot more than my Strat.

Those string wraps at the tuners are my shop's in-house brand strings. They sell every new guitar with a setup, which includes fret levelling and crowning, action adjustment, and new strings. The strings are purchased in bulk from GHS, so there's a slight degree of customization in them.

johnnymg likes this.

10. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    I have one...
    Seems a serviceable instrument...
    ================
    Disclaimer: consider the source(me)