1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

A terrible problem

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by FFGreen, Sep 22, 2020.

1. FFGreen

FFGreen Strat-Talker

Saved and have $1200 (give or take a few hundred $ either way) to purchase a new acoustic/Electric. Simple question, what should I get? I'm basically a fingerpicking, rock, blues, delta blues, figuring it out as I go kinda guy. I'm looking forward to checking out the Martin SC-13E but the big picture (the trying and buying) is what I'm truly looking forward to. Any Advice????

Thanks

Danny D likes this.
  2. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

Gabor Szabo solved that problem beautifully with a D45 and DeArmond Model 210 soundhole pickup, Elmore James did it with a Kay and the same pickup, Lightnin Hopkins used that pickup too... and none sounds like the other!

Danny D and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

1st couple suggestions

Try as many as you can
    & Have a helluva time doing it

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

I think Bob has the right answer here.

5. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

If you go the Martin route with that budget I'd recommend trying to find a used USA model versus a new Mexican.

Danny D, fishermike and Stratoskater like this.
  6. Dibbs

Dibbs Strat-Talker

I'd be tempted to see what's available, from Epiphone. Just sayin'.

Not that I have a dog in the fight, I like solid bodies, because they're almost
    quiet, when they're unplugged.

7. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

Martins are tough to beat , but I’d take a serious look at Takemine.

Mansonienne and soulman969 like this.
  8. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Get a Martin 15 series or save a bit more and get a 21 or 28 series or a Taylor 300 or 400 series.

Bob the builder likes this.
  9. Tone Quest

Tone Quest Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I've had a Taylor 514 for 22 years. Love that guitar. Check out the Taylor line, they make great guitars.

Mansonienne and Bob the builder like this.
  10. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

3 times i left the house to buy an iconic piece of gear, and 3 times it turned out that gear was not for me. however with an open mind and patience i ended up finding some of the best gear i have.

so do not jump in, only buy when you are sure. do not buy something just because you can, it is a "deal" or has a famous name.

be sure it is "the one".

11. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

For me it's one of those things where when you hear what you're looking for you'll know it. Unfortunately my hearing begins at about 2x what you have saved.

Currently the two I've played I'm shooting for are a Martin CEO-7 or a Taylor 324CE. IMHO both hit above their price point.

12. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Given your choice of styles, have you looked at a resonator? I've got an Eastwood Delta 6 that has a P90 in the neck and a piezo in the bridge with a blend switch. Covers most of that territory.

Cost you less than 1200 so you'd have dough left over for something to fill in the gaps where it doesn't.

13. Rudedawg

Rudedawg Strat-O-Master

I have an ancient Taylor 710ce and while I like it I recently played my nephew's Laravee and was blown away at the ease of playing it and the beautiful tone it had. Had I known about them back in the day things probably would have gone very differently. As others suggested play as many as you can, you may have your heart set on a Martin and it may indeed be THE one but you never know.
    Good luck.

14. Bcorig

Bcorig Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

15. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

1200 will buy you a fairly low level Taylor, Gibson or Martin. I own a Martin,

and to be honest, some of the higher level Yamaha guitars are better than the Low/mid level of more prestigious brands in everything but status.

I’ve had three taylors, the only one that I thought was truly exceptional for the money was the Big Baby Taylor. That’s the only one I regret selling.

I love the aesthetics of the Gibson Hummingbird, but every single time I’ve played one, I’ve been very disappointed. True bummer, because that was my “perfect” acoustic, until I played them.

Mansonienne likes this.
  16. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

You’ll know what guitar to buy when you find the right one. I have no advise other than that.

17. space

space Strat-O-Master

Look into a used tacoma dr15 great value for the buck
    USA made ebony board spruce top rosewood back and sides
    Its too bad fender closed them down after they bought them out
    :(

18. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Check out the new Taylor American dream series.

19. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

Go play every acoustic in your price range you can find and pay no attention to the names on the headstock. You’ll find one that makes you want to keep playing it. My Washburn Cumberland (currently on permanent loan to my uncle Bob) beat Guilds and Yamahas that cost substantially more. It’s pretty to look at, easy to play, and gushes air. I’m not recommending Washburn as a brand... I’m saying that if I’d been shopping for a brand, I would have missed out on a great guitar.

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

Years ago I had the money saved up. Plus, I had gotten a good bonus from the company I was working for at the time. So, I was looking and I had a preconceived notion of a good sounding guitar (and a lifelong lust for a Martin D-28). I was looking at the time, in order of preference, Martin, Breedlove, Taylor, Bourgeois (who was then just a brand new name) and Collings. I had a chance to play one Bourgeois and one Collings, but both were in Portland Or (I live in the greater Phoenix AZ area, was in Portland for business pretty often at the time). In Phoenix there were Martins, Taylors and Breedloves. I went into an unlikely store, and they had the relatively unknown to me Larivee. I played every one they had in stock, and the guitar that was WAY too gaudy for me was the best sounding instrument I had played to that point in time. But I HATED the inlay. Way, way, way too flashy for me. There was one D-45 in town at the time, it did not sound anywhere near as good as that Larivee. None of the D-28s sounded as good. The one or two D-35s were not as good. I could find a handful of Breedloves in town, none as good. The city was overrun with Taylors of all stripes, and I think I played every one. None as good. I went back four times before I laid my hard earned cash out on that guitar.

Years later, I still have it. Had to replace the frets twice now. It had gotten better over the years. My last job away from home was in Bloomington, IL. The local church band welcomed me, and said they needed an acoustic player. I don’t think I played 3 chords at my first practice and the music director (who had some fair experience) and the lead guitarist who still played out semi-professionally were commenting on the great tone of that guitar.

My point. You really have to play every guitar you can, particularly with an acoustic. Some guitars have a higher probability of being great than others, but even great high end models (like the D-45 I mentioned) are the best on a given day and a specific instrument. Indeed, the Larivee 9 series (I think it was) that was supposed to be the same as the C-10 that I bought without the cutaway or the inlay, sounded as good. Quite a few of the guitars I tried would have been good sounding, even great sounding, guitars. But that one C-10 with the excessive inlay done by Jean Larivee’s wife was the absolute best. Just think of the great search, discover and choice story you will have after you find the one.

But to answer your question, in that price point, Takamine, Taylor, Martin, Breedlove, Eastman (I’ve had a chance to play a few and they seem to be as good in this price point as the others mentioned), Guild, Yamaha and yes, Larivee all make solid models that will serve you well. I’m sure I am missing a few. Nonetheless, if you search out and play every guitar of the above 8 brands that are in your price point, one will stand out to you.

Mansonienne and fishermike like this.