A Theory On A Guitars Sound :)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

I don't see this as complicated. It is simply that there are two variables in the situation: the player and the listener (often one in the same person, though importantly distinguishable!). Most phenomena in this world have more than two variables, after all.

2. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

The thing that makes guitars great is the variability of tone. Pick lighter or harder and it sounds different. Pick closer to the bridge and it sounds different. Use a different pick or strings and it sounds different. Turn the volume and tone knobs and it sounds different. Guitar isn't like a Casiotone. Every little thing makes a difference, even if you are just talking about one guitar. A guitar doesn't make just one sound, it makes a huge wide range of sounds.

So the difference between players can still shine through, even when the equipment is the same.

That doesn't mean all guitars sound alike. They all have their own range of sounds.

Bob the builder and surfnturf like this.
  3. StratChat

StratChat Strat-Talk Member

Wait I’m confused
    There are 10 guitarist playing in the woods with the same guitar and amp but no one can hear them?

Stratoskater and RobZ69 like this.
  4. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

No we are not in agreement.

And you didn't say that. You said this:

The guitar and amp do not sound exactly the same. As evidenced in the Vaughan Bros clip...the sound changes dramatically when the players change. A non- guitarist/musician can hear it.

Anyway, this is analyzing the size of a donut hole and it's effect on the taste of the donut. Navel gazing. Go play your guitar.

Stratoskater likes this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

ST-54.png

How's it sound now?

Stratoskater, davidKOS and fezz parka like this.
  6. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

If ten Gibsons fall in the woods but there's no one around to hear it, do the headstocks break?

7. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

Yep. Without the player, it's furniture.

We aren't signal generators. We don't put out a consistent 440 Hz tone. Take five tone generators. Plug them into the amp. Set it at 440. They'll sound very close if not the same.

Now take two players. Play 440. Your 440 and mine will sound different, because we're signal creators.

8. Bakelite1

Bakelite1 Strat-Talker

Humans only take in a certain percentage of new information, the rest is subjective expectation.

9. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

This is also closely related to an important point about pedals. A pedal has no sound. It interacts with your amp and guitar to do something. There is no pedal that sounds like a Marshall. There are pedals that perhaps when paired with a blackface amp and a strat will make the whole rig sound a little more like what you might expect with a Marshall.

10. publius

publius Strat-Talker

Are all those damned knobs set the same? Is the humidity controlled? Had anyone smoked any weed or had a taste of the curative?
    Were the windows open and the wind howling through?

I thought that Strat Tone thing had been settled long ago.....all ( reasonable persons) agreeing on the 57 sss Alnico 5 black bottomed staggered pole with that there formvar wire and the Pat. Pend. saddles, and a Swamp Ash body......or am I wrong?

P.S.
    Where is my friggin coffee cup?

11. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

The label on the pedal suggests the sound. It says Marshall...you hear Marshall. A LPB-1 into a Deluxe Reverb sounds more Marshall than straight in.

A lot of guitarists who know what they're talking about (See Kenny Vaughan's flat wound video) say this:

There is a point where a distorted signal is all about the distortion. The guitar doesn't matter. The amp doesn't matter.

Put that on your donut and eat it. :D

Leofender and Stratoskater like this.
  12. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

Now now. I find the discussion interesting. When your petty anger fades, how about you go play your guitar? I agree with you, fwiw, but do find another parade to rain on, willya?

13. rojo-funk

rojo-funk New Member!

Agreed! And there are even more things that make a difference, including especially the angle at which the pick crosses the string and the attack (not to mention fretting finger differences).

A common problem for me watching youtube demonstrations of a model of guitar is that the musicians they choose to demo the model are people who sound bad to me (ugly attack) but would sound bad on *any* guitar. I think the original poster is vastly underestimating the differences from player to player.

Even non-musicians would easily discern the differences between 10 players playing the same guitar/amp/speaker.

This has nothing to do with the (correct) observation that we each hear things differently. How does one know that? Elizabeth Wenzel (NASA Ames) did studies of Head Related Transfer Functions (HRTFs). By recording identical sounds in an anechoic chamber w/ tiny microphones places within the inner ears of the subjects in the experiment, she demonstrated pinnae filtering differences from person to person, related to our ability to localize sounds. Our outer ears selectively filter frequencies based on the angle/position from which a sound originates (and the physical properties of our outer ears differ from person to person). One can essentially listen "through the ears" of another person w/ headphones, by applying their HRTFs, and this will affect one's own ability to localize. I mention this entire digression to make the point that there is objective evidence to support the idea that we each "hear differently" (no doubt pinna filtering is just one of the ways )- but this has nothing to do with why 10 players sound different playing the same guitar through the same amp/speaker!

PonyB likes this.
  14. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

If they play the exact same song or lick it probably will sound pretty much the same to a point of the basic difference in playing technique.

15. PonyB

PonyB Senior Stratmaster

Interesting, thanks.

16. bluebeard

bluebeard Strat-Talk Member

What this guy said !

17. Chuck Conner

Chuck Conner Strat-Talker

In 1964 I had a Gretsch Country Gentleman Guitar, so did Chet Atkins and George Harrison. Neither of them sounded like me so they kept their guitars.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    Wrighty and Bob the builder like this.
  18. bmikultyak

bmikultyak Strat-Talk Member

I think the overall tone/overdrive would be the same but . . . If Santana or Jeff beck were to play they would add nuances using the setup and volume/tone controls on the guitars to give totally different sounds. Santana uses a pick and beck usually doesn't along with the different dynamics of each of them.

19. Rickman365

Rickman365 Strat-Talk Member

Complicate the idea, try to get them all play the same tune, and good luck with that. In fact, try to play a piece ten times and notice how different they are. I went to a guitar workshop, the instructor played a piece of a song twelve times, once for each student to play the lead and he nailed it each time. Blew my mind. Of course all of the lead pieces varied remarkably.

20. MoHump

MoHump Strat-Talk Member

To my mind(and ears), a guitar will sound differently depending on several factors such as pick stiffness, shape of the pick, how hard the pick is applied to the strings, and the pickholder as well.

PonyB likes this.