A train wreck of a Squire Bullet

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by mutato, Jul 10, 2007.

1. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Hi all,

I am getting a basket case Squire Bullet from my Nephew who trashed it. It's missing parts (destructive behavior) as well a crushed pickguard. The good news is the neck and body's intact and in good shape. I'm picking it up (free, of course) from him this Thursday and will post pictures asap.

This is an older type Squire that was from the Eighties, made in Japan, with the unique Tele style headstock, so it's pretty cool. I have three other electrics, so this one's going to be my "office" guitar once I get it functioning. Needs some parts, TLC, and some sweat equity!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  2. mutato

UPDATE: Please see the links below for latest Squire Wreck images.

I have to get some parts:
    bridge saddles
    tone pot
    wire
    Pickguard - Here's the tough one to find. First, I'll try the local GC and lay a new Strat guard over it and see if I'm lucky and it fits. Doubt it, though.
    Some places make custom guards from tracings (http://pickguards.us/pricestrat.html) I'd have to spend $37 plus shipping for a three layer. Yikes.

Screw for the high E tuning head. Have to back out the one that's SHEARED OFF.

Finish is bad. I cleaned it best I can with warm soapy water. I tried some solvents (Bestine), but that crud is stuck on good. I scraped some with a blade. If I can get it down some, I could salvage the finish with an overall steel wool job and buffing polishing. Other thoughts are to strip and leave natural looking. It's just that real crappy area that kills the look.

But the neck is wonderful!

I'd love to hear some thoughts!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  3. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

If it were me I would do the following.

1. Go to www.guitarfetish.com and but the necessary replacement parts along with a set of pickups to put in it.

2. Make sure all those stickers are in the garbage.

3. Clean and polish it the best you can.

4. Shield it.

5. Set it up.

6. Play it till your fingers bleed.

But, that's just me.

However, it has been a month since the last post, so, I am wondering... are you finished with it already?

Bob

BTW - The pickguard has a bit of an odd shape to it.

4. bobthecanadian

If all else fails, just throw it in the fire and spare yourself the aggravation.

Bob

5. giginthesky

giginthesky New Member!

screw the fire, i'll take it. i have a few of these *** squiers and i dig them very much. by the way, that neck will fit a vintage tele body perfectly.

6. mutato

Ongoing restoration update.

Hi all,

I have been a little busy, but did do some work on the Squire Wreck. Take a look. These are NEW links. I made two separate photo slideshows to view.

Squire Before:
    http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x317/mutato1234/Squire Pictures/?action=view&current=adbc14e7.pbw

Squire During restoration (as of today):
    http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x317/mutato1234/Squire Pictures/?action=view&current=6b705caf.pbw

I have touched up the filled areas on the body where there were deep scrapes. I used tinted wood filler. I painted with some black enamel paint. Once that dries good, I will wet sand the body again to blend those areas in.

I also couldn't help myself and sanded the fretboard because the peeled, darkened areas along the frets were crappy looking. I sprayed on a few coats of poly and will wetsand sometime soon. Then the body and neck will be presentable. I sent out for a replacement pickguard through Terrapin Guitars, which had the best price for a custom replacement PG.

7. bobthecanadian

hi mutato,

it looks like you are making good progress.

how are you going to deal with the pickguard? are you going to make your own?

bob

8. FoxRodder

FoxRodder Strat-Talk Member

Good work. On my 94 model bullet I replaced my pickguard assembly with one from GuitarFetish fully wired with a humbucker at the bridge. It took some minor fitting and a few screw holes drilled where some didnt match. Looks much better though and sounds pretty decent.

9. mutato

In regards to the pickguard, I looked and looked. I even ALMOST got a chance to get one on Ebay. It was a loaded pickguard as well. Looked like it would fit. But most quotes for custom made pickguards were running $75 plus shipping, which is too much for this project for me. But I got a quote of $51 plus shipping through Terrapin Guitars, which is better. It'll be a stock W/B/W replacement guard.

10. FoxRodder

FoxRodder Strat-Talk Member

Well if you goto guitarfetish.com I believe it is or search engine as one word. Look under the wired pickguards section. I think I payed like 41-42$ shipped for fully wired HSS pickguard with everything. All I had to do was solder two ground wires and one power wire and some minor fitting.

They sell stuff dirt cheap because of the amount of volume they deal with. They have alot of good reviews on ebay and you would see how much business they do.

I was also trying to keep costs down because I only payed 50 bucks for the bullet and wanted to keep from putting more money in than a new one.

11. mutato

Luckily, I got this sad little basket case for free (who would've PAID for this wreck?!) So, in all, when I'm finished, I will have put about $90 into the guitar. My own TLC labor time is a lot, but that's the fun, learning as you go part! I've never dissassembled a guitar completely and this is a great way to feel comfortable doing it.

12. bobthecanadian

So, how's it coming?

13. mutato

UPDATE

Hi,

I've got my replacement pickguard from Terripan Guitars this week. I fitted it in the body and it fit's perfect! I then cleaned the dirty pickups (plastic shell part) and put everything back on. I now just have to wire the tone and input jack to make the electronics complete.

As for the body, it's pretty much as good as it's going to get. I painted the filled in scrapes with black enamal and wetsanded them. They're still there, but a lot less noticable. My coworker is going to go over the body with a buffer to bring the final shine back. The neck has been touched up and I will be reassembling soon. When it's done, it'll look a heck of a lot better. It'll still have some wear and tear, but more like a cool used way, versus abused way!

14. mutato

Attached Files:

15. bobthecanadian

Looks like you have been busy! Good work!

16. mutato

Hi,

I got the guitar reassembled! And it works! I'll take pictures soon. One thing, I wanted to know is if the Middle pickup bottom magnet (stock non magnetic type pickups) was to be put back on the wrong way, would that make the pickup a "non-reverse" wound pickup?

The reason is, when I switch to the 2nd and 4th positions (on the 5 way switch), I not getting the "Quack" or the slight hum reduction you usually get. The sound actually gets slightly louder too! Almost like the two pickups (bridge and middle for example) are adding volume, humbucker style.

I haven't had time to take the pickguard and flip the magnet to test, but it'd be great to hear thoughts!

Mutato

17. bobthecanadian

hmm... if it were me I think I would try switching the leads (hot and ground) on the pickup.

Regarding the magnet, well, I don't know. Try it and see what happens? Maybe you find the 'right' way and maybe you fins a way that works for you. I may be wrong, you may be right, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for.

Bob

18. REDSTRAT

REDSTRAT New Member!

I Thought Bullets Were Made In China Not Japan.

19. mutato

You're thinking too recently, my friend! Do some looking around to find out more about the many places the Squires were built over the years.

Many different kinds with many different qualities.

Mutato

20. mutato