about to go with Logic Pro.

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by of this world, Oct 21, 2021.

1. of this world

of this world Senior Stratmaster

my macbook air cant keep up with digital workload so i'm getting a same era imac (mid-2017) with more storage and loaded with Logic Pro that'll become dedicated for home and non-wildlife work - i'm stoked and nervous about moving from garageband to Logic though... I barely use gb to anywhere near its potentlial, so not exactly sure why i need to move to Logic, but there you go...

any Logic users who want to offer suggestions to ease the transition are appreciated... (the rest of you are appreciated too, but for different reasons, you know... hilarity, etc...)

2. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

I'm not a 'user' but I have used it. It's a big step up from Garageband IMO. One of the best DAWs out there and probably better than what I'm using.

of this world likes this.
  3. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Senior Stratmaster

I found logic to be really intuitive.
    It’s the first DAW I’ve used, and despite trying other options I always come back to it.
    The built in MIDI capability is super cool too, that’s mostly what I use it for.
    That being said I tend to prefer ProTools for guitar... YMMV

4. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

I'd say whenever you run up against something in Logic, just google it and you'll find an answer quickly. And youtube videos are a lifesaver.

I moved from using GB for years to Logic about 5-6 years ago. WAY more control over your effects. You can also place your tracks in "Track Stacks" which server as a file folder system. Super cool for clean efficient track management. And you can apply effect to that Track Stack so it's efficient on your processor, like a mix buss. Unlike GB, where you have to apply effects/EQ to each track or just a master effects. That can lead to heavy processor load with effects running.

of this world and simoncroft like this.
  5. fezz parka

fezz parka fezz parka

All of your GB projects will import.

I have both ProTools and Logic.

I use Logic 100% of the time.

6. SILENCER

SILENCER Strat-O-Master

I found I too despise ProTools.

I'm a Reaper guy, but Logic would be my next choice

7. Deebs3

Deebs3 Senior Stratmaster

I still use logic audio on an e-mac coz my version is so old it won't work on anything later. Sooooo much fun, especially when I use my keyboard for the plugins like the fender Rhodes.

simoncroft likes this.
  8. Straticus

Straticus Strat-Talker

I'm starting my Logic Pro journey the same time you are. My iMac 24 just got delivered a couple days ago with Logic Pro loaded. I have no experience with any recording, however, so my learning curve will be a bit different. I went with Logic Pro after researching DAWs for a few months. My audio interface is a Focusrite Clarett 8i6. I'm both excited and a bit anxious about how much I have to learn.

9. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

No specific advice, Monte, but if you get stuck you're welcome to ask.:) I actually think LPX is easier to use than GB, because it's easier to find out/set exactly what's going on, but I won't deny there's a learning curve. I seem to learn a better way of doing something every time I fire it up.

This guy's web site and YT video is a useful resource: https://whylogicprorules.com

10. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

You dont have to use it to its potential my guy in order to be excited about it.That DAW has pretty much anything you want to make music and is as user friendly as a DAW can be not to mention an industry standard one.For any task you might wanna achieve there would be a short tutorial online that ll get you going.

simoncroft likes this.
  11. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Logic is the most illogical to me. I also have a hard time with Garage Band too. How much is Logic these days, or is it a subscription now?

12. of this world

its 200, i got it as a pre-load on an older IMac i just bought for strcitly home use, to lighten the demand on my macbook air, which is my main work computer. i learned on garageband (well actually audacity years ago, but just as a spoken word thing.. not mixing music really.) so the jump to Logic has been pretty easy for me.

davidKOS and Scott Baxendale like this.
  13. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

That makes total sense. I’m not sure why GB & Logic are so unintuitive for me?

14. of this world

none of these things are intuitive to me... when i was 15 standing in line to see Star Wars for the third time or so, i thought i was a total sci-fi geek just aching for the day when i wored with comuters... Hahahahahahah - turns out i just want my transporter beam to work. i dont care how it does it at all... and if it wants to be called "smart" the it ought to understand the threat of violence.

davidKOS and Scott Baxendale like this.
  15. simoncroft

To some extent, I think it depends which DAW's orthodoxies you are already familiar. I've been using Logic for years, so I know my round the parts of it I use regularly. GarageBand is slightly alien to me, because the GUI is a bit different. Harrison's DAW I'm quite happy with, due to the way they follow the old 'multitrack and mixing console' model.

It's the same with video editors. I started with Adobe Premiere, so I'm also quite happy with DaVince Resolve, but I really dislike Apple's Final Cut Pro. It seems to go about everything a different way, for no good reason!

16. davidKOS

davidKOS not posting these days

Although I am currently a happy user of ProTools 10 and Cubase 8.5, which are both excellent, if I was starting from scratch I'd go with Logic.

BTW, I am a Mac user and will NEVER go back to PC's.

of this world and simoncroft like this.
  17. simoncroft

My Mac Pro is eleven-and-a-half years old, and I have no plans to retire it.

Many years ago, I decided it would be 'cheaper' to set up a video and audio editing system on a PC under Windows XP. After six months of trying and failing to get the system running smoothly, I upgraded one of our work Macs and brought the old one home. It probably took me 15 minutes to get it importing and editing video. That's when I bought my first copy of Logic, and that was a breeze to get working too.

However, I did learn a lot about IRQs (Interrupt Resource Requests) under Windows. :confused:

davidKOS and of this world like this.
  18. of this world

actually the iMac i just got is significantly older than i first thought...it's OS is 2017 (10.13) but the machine is 2011. and it's the fastest machine i have right now... 32 g RAM, 1 TB hard drive... dedicated to recording use. (and internet surfing) very stable.

davidKOS and simoncroft like this.
  19. simoncroft

Although you can install later versions of the OS than even 10.13, the iMac probably won't run as fast. I know my machine runs faster under High Sierra (10.13) than Catalina (10.15). I only jumped ship because I wanted a specific function in a later version of Logic Pro. It still runs very well within Logic, but things definitely loaded faster in High Sierra, I know because I occasionally go back to the earlier OS to use various bits of legacy software.

20. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Strat-O-Master

i started mucking around with GarageBand when I got a (then) new 2012 mac mini for my music room. For real life reasons, i didn't really get into it until a few years later, after I first tried then bought some plugins. Then I bashed the crap out of it for 3-4 years until I had pretty much gotten as far as I could with it, and needed more. I hemmed and hawed for a while before I finally took the plunge and bought Logic. I am so glad I did. The controls were very intuitive but so much more useful. The ability to create auxiliary tracks and assign audio tracks to them was a game changer. I've only recently dipped my toe into the MIDI capabilities and can't wait to really get into it.

simoncroft and davidKOS like this.