AC-30 flight trajectory

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by SIngles Forever, Aug 27, 2021.

1. SIngles Forever

SIngles Forever Strat-O-Master

I'm about to bail on this amp. It's been about 6 months and it's just getting no love between the Twin and the Plexi. I think it's just not my sound. Sure, I never got around to changing the greenbacks, but that's just cause I have a feeling it wouldn't change it enough. I find the Vox sound to be 'cardboardy'. I remember even when I heard Vox emulations on Positive Grid Bias I thought 'why is it so scratchy'.

Does anyone have any magic settings on this thing for me? It just always sounds lazy and dull, or scratchy if you try to remedy that with treble.

I've gotten cool sounds with my tele and les paul. But nothing I like with strats.

Thinking of trading for a deluxe reverb or 80s marshall combo.

stormsedge likes this.
  2. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

With some tone stacks ( tone controls ) there is a a sweet spot where in a narrow sweep of the pots there is a bunch more tonal range to be had!
    I found out my Pig nose GV40 is this way in terms of the setting of the mid pot adding a bunch more range to the bass and treble controls.

In short take a hour to play around with very subtle changes in the amp tone controls in combination with each other and you might find a good sweet spot where all your guitars sound good!

also if your plexi is being driven into a 16 ohm cabinet I would try the Vox out thru those speakers.

If your complaint about scratchyness goes away when you finger pick then that which you hate is pick noise and lives in the 1K frequency range which you can tame with different speakers or even a multi band EQ stomp box placed in front of the amp.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  3. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Which particular AC30 is it? I'm guessing the AC30C2? I have the earlier AC30CC2. Best way I found to run mine was with the master volume up full (before I removed the master volume) and use the channel volumes to set the overall volume.

Tone wise I set the treble around 1 o'clock and the bass around 11 o'clock. Tone cut doesn't do much until it's over half way so set that however you like it.

Mine sounds best with the channels linked, both channels set to at least 50% full volume and I use the guitar volume to control it. I'm not sure how any of this will relate to the Custom model but they can't be that much different. Mind you both mine are quite heavily modified so maybe none of the above is helpful :confused::D

4. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster

Sometimes there are certain amps, guitars, effects, etc that you just don't get along with.

Personally I just don't like Fender amps. Not a fan of Gretsch guitars in my hands either. Same with Vox amps. Your ears like what your ears like

bbarott, dante1963, Ebidis and 4 others like this.
  5. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You don't like Fender amps???!!!

SIngles Forever likes this.
  6. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Vox amps have always sounded "boxey" to me, going back to the Beatles. George's tone using that Gretsch guitar sounded like cardboard to me...no sustain..plink-plink. But then Rory Gallagher's tone when using a Strat or Tele with an AC30 sounded great. So is it the equipment, or the player.....? I just never gravitated to Vox amps...I think the Deluxe, with a few good up-front pedals, would be better . Depends on the music you want to play, and the tone you are seeking.

Stratoman10 likes this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster

Concur. My gomi-pile of trade-ins/sell-offs continues to grow (no, I'm not putting them on the curb in true gomi fashion--so do not get excited).

8. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster

Nope. Started with a SFTR. Kept it for years. Nice amps but I bought it when I first started learning and there really wasn't the variety we have today. Just too clean for me, sterile is the word I'd use. I'd have to use pedals just to get a good base tone for me. Thats not what I want. I just didn't know it then. I've tried Champs, Princeton, Bass Breakers, etc but they just don't do it for me. Give me a Mesa, Blackstar, Hughes and Kettner and I'm happy. Wanted to test drive a Friedman or PRS yesterday but they were out of them

Anacharsis and jtoomuch like this.
  9. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Guitar Player

When it comes to Fenders, I only like tweeds (and a few other early models). I don't care for black or silver face Fenders. The only Marshall I like is the JTM45.

On the other hand, I love darn near every Vox model.

SIngles Forever and Stratoman10 like this.
  10. SIngles Forever

That's how I hear them man. Boxy cardboard. Even in digital recreations!

11. SIngles Forever

At points I like it. But only if I'm playing rock chords on a Tele or les paul. But I'm getting very little dripping blues single note satisfaction.on it, and the bass sounds flubby. Sounds pretty good for ringing out single notes in chords like Alex Lifeson or The Edge kinda stuff. But I don't do that very often.

Lots mids. If I'm playing the Vox for an hour and then I switch to my Twin Reverb all I hear is a big scoop through the middle like the amp isn't even there.

12. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You just found the answer your problem...play both simultaneously. ;)

Now seriously, get a cheap EQ for use at home and see if that might make one or the other better. Or sell both the Vox and Twin and get an amp that works for you all around.

13. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Flight trajectory? You're going to need at least a 6,000 foot runway. I believe the V1 speed for an AC-30 is abut 145 knots. Take off into the wind, and don't forget to set the flaps.

14. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

Sell it and get something that suits you. Don't do speaker swaps and add pedals etc to "fix" the sound of an amp that you fundamentally don't like the sound of. You will never be happy with it and you'll be in it for even more money.

It's ok not to like something that doesn't work for you. Even if it says vox, fender, or Marshall on the nameplate.

15. SIngles Forever

Actually I think you misunderstood. I am loving the twin and I am playing it Non-Stop. I just meant that the Vox has such a heavy mid-range that once my ears have adapted to it, it takes some time for the fender sound to come across right again. But that's only if I'm playing the Vox for a long time.

PCollen likes this.
  16. SIngles Forever

AC is the stock ticker for Air Canada....and its headed toward 30 soon.

17. Voxman

Voxman Strat-Talker

Run the Fender and Vox together, or the Marshall and Vox together.

And the AC30 usually likes volume.
    When I think Vox, I don't necessarily think Beatles, I think more Queen

18. SIngles Forever

Played it some today. It just gets so heavily outshined by the sv20 and Twin for me/my style. I hear the Vox sound as very rough and unrefined. Very Boxy and somehow 'not dense'. It's very large sonically though, and fills the room in an amazing way. It's a big sounding amp for sure....just lacks that definition.

Then there's always those Greenbacks that are in there. Maybe with some Celestion Annies in there it would be a total game changer. Tough to think that.

19. beep.click

beep.click Strat-Talk Member

An AC30 with Celestion Blue speakers is not like any other Vox. Something remarkable happens when you put those together. I can't explain it but whenever I hear it, it's a Goldilocks tone.

20. SIngles Forever

Man this will sound like a contradiction, but I've been playing the ac30 heavily for the past 2 days. I've been really experimenting with the controls ALOT. I've been getting sounds that are very very good... But there's just this one little aspect bugging me - a dull flabby thing - and I'm really just almost convinced I'm taking out the China greenback sound on the amp itself. The amp has this rock n roll PUSH in the mids that sounds like no other amp, but also this lazy rolled off grime.

I'm thinking Annies or Blues will turn this into an amazing amp. It's missing the detail and dynics those speakers will bring out if it.

Now I just need to care enough about this to spend 600 bucks.