Acoustasonic Strat - $400 off - Price Drop at Sweetwater

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
Those guitars seem pretty cool, but I'm still not 100% convinced. I think I'm just more of a traditionalist. Less fancy is my friend. I hope Santa (or whoever) makes your wish come true!
Let's say that I don't think that is for me, but I don't want to stop innovation just because I'm a traditionalist too.

I'm not sure what player or styles of music this is intended for.

33db

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 14, 2018
Earth
Let's say that I don't think that is for me, but I don't want to stop innovation just because I'm a traditionalist too.

I'm not sure what player or styles of music this is intended for.
People that can't make up their minds, a common affliction these days.
I seriously considered the Player version, but after watching videos I think not, can't really say why it just seems like I'll be disappointed with it quickly.

radd

Strat-O-Master
Jun 2, 2016
Santa Cruz
I saw the Acoustasonic Strat and watched the videos and had to have one. I got it and honestly I was thrilled to sell it. It was well made, fun to play but had no real good acoustic tones or electric ones.

I enjoyed my acoustic guitars and electric guitars more.

I think the new Player series will kill the American series sales in the Acoustasonic line.

0A463ACE-058F-4CC7-ADFA-70BC43725DD5.jpeg

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
I've seen a couple of emails from Fender that the standard color USA Acoustasonic Strats and Teles both have that $400 price drop - but not the Jazzmaster version.

There could be a couple of reasons - they are way overstocked in the warehouses and want to move product, all the current colors could be discontinued and will be completely replaced, they have a revised model in the works for 2022 (moving faster than their stated 4-year product life cycle), or they are just dropping the USA models in favor of the newly introduced MIM version. If they're going forward with only the MIM version then I would look for an MIM Acoustasonic Strat in 2022, unless for the USAs the Teles outsold the Strats by a fairly wide margin.

fos1

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 7, 2018
Texas
As others have mentioned, a hybrid probably isn't good at either electric or acoustic. I have never played one to see (hear).

So far, I have refrained from purchasing one due to the high cost.

I'll probably wait and see how the new MIM version looks and its price.

So far, I pretty much stick to my non-electronic electrics...

Y

yettoblaster

I had an early Tele version.
Easy to get and adjust on the fly to get a decent acoustic type sound in a big room (say, a church), for a half dozen light weight sounding tunes.
Never played it in a club.

Actually if you turn a Strat or Tele down you can get a decent acoustic-ish sound out of an electric.

SoulSurfer

Strat-O-Master
Apr 30, 2016
Toronto, ON Canada
Having had mine for over a year now, I gotta say that it's "some of column A and some of column B". it gets the job done and an easy rig to take to a gig. I don’t think that there is a truly "Swiss army knife" guitar out there - universe knows I certainly spent enough looking for one. it downs come close to my Takamine ESF-50; Taylor 562CE 12-Fret 12 String; Taylor 812CE 12-Fret Deluxe or Taylor GS Mini Koa FLTD but as mentioned, it gets the job done.

For those concerned, the radiator was "decommissioned" since we moved in and the humidifier is constantly refilled during the winter months. it is a challenge to keep the room at >25% though.

IMG_0792.jpeg

abnormaltoy

Mouth draggin' knuckle breather
Apr 28, 2013
Tucson
Acoustically, are these things a pre-war Martin or Gibson? Maybe not.
Electrically are these things a 1950s Strat or Tele? Probably not. Which is okay...they're still under warranty, you can change the frets without ruining their value, they may be the instapot of guitars.
In the long ago, I had a Bultaco Alpina...an enduro bike, Kenny Roberts probably could not have one a race with it on the track. It was better in the dirt than a full hog dresser. It wasn't the best of either world, but it was the pretty freaking good of both worlds.
I'd love to be in a position to get one of those for my brother...although he longs for the Tele version.

Last edited:

radd

Strat-O-Master
Jun 2, 2016
Santa Cruz
Acoustically, are these things a pre-war Martin or Gibson? Maybe not.
Electrically are these things a 1950s Strat or Tele? Probably not. Which is okay...they're still under warranty, you can change the frets without ruining their value, they may be the instapot of guitars.
In the long ago, I had a Bultaco Alpina...an endure bike, Kenny Roberts probably could not have one a race with it on the track. It was better in the dirt than a full hog dresser. It wasn't the best of either world, but it was the pretty freaking good of both worlds.
I'd love to be in a position to get one of those for my brother...although he longs for the Tele version.

I can relate

Early on, just one, a Yamaha 250 DT1 that kinda did it all

E5090021-5BD9-43E8-8B3F-187F8A9DFC89.jpeg

Years later two, one for each enviorment I loved

52E648E3-1B9A-48B2-85CB-BC7ACF20E9F8.jpeg 9F4BF449-6D43-48DB-BB43-17A9E41C9A0B.jpeg

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
My guess would be that trying to be all things to all people didn't result in the sales numbers that Fender would like. I thought the initial price point was ridiculous. that "sale" isn't any less so, IMO.

All that said, if not for current circumstances, I would have at least tried to play one to see what it was all about. Not that I'd even consider it even at the sale price, but just to see where the state of things were with regard to these hybrids.

I tend to prefer mostly single purpose things that do what they do well. For example, I use a phone to make calls and send an occasional text, but I don't watch movies, play games, listen to music or do any computing on one. I have devices that do all those things immeasurably better.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
I played one in a GC one day, unplugged, on a whim. Had surprisingly good acoustic sound. Didn't have time to give it a full run that day. Might have to give one another whirl.

Then again, it might be a "this is cool" guitar that you play for a day then let hang on a shelf.

66outlaw

Strat-Talker
Sep 14, 2021
SoCal
I played one in a GC one day, unplugged, on a whim. Had surprisingly good acoustic sound. Didn't have time to give it a full run that day. Might have to give one another whirl.

Then again, it might be a "this is cool" guitar that you play for a day then let hang on a shelf.

Yeah...maybe like treadmills and home gym equipment that evolve into clothing racks. Great for hanging damp shirts pulled from the dryer early to avoid shrinkage or a freshly ironed button down while you work on the next one.