Acoustic Doubling in the Mix

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by misterwogan, Mar 3, 2020.

1. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

I use an acoustic on all my recordings. Mostly it's my Yamaha LS16 into a Rode NT1A, sometimes it's from NI's Strummed Acoustic library.

In every case I have to decide to double or not to double. A lot of times this is a difficult decision to make - here are the major factors:

1. If it's a picked part with little bass, I will usually double - either with a second track or using the Waves Doubler plugin with asymmetric panning.

2. If it's a strummed part, again with little bass - then I'll double it. The guitar is being used here as a pad.

3. If it's a part with a strong rhythm, with a lot of bass - then I won't double, just pan slightly off centre. The rule here being, that I don't want anything sub 200hz hard panned.

How do you approach this?
    When will you definitely NOT double and why?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    thomquietwolf likes this.
  2. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

If I double a guitar part, I generally play the same thing twice rather than copy a track or use a plugin.
    Also I tend to spend some time with the track EQ to minimize bass, if there is an actual bass in the song then that covers the low so I would roll off more on the acoustic.

BallisticSquid likes this.
  3. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

I only doubled the rhythm acoustic guitar once and it was a track where one track was strums with picking incorporated and and the other was just picking but then strumming in other parts. I panned each 50% maybe...or 25%...I'd have to check the project. I liked the overall effect because parts of it sounded like the full sound you get from a 12 string.

misterwogan likes this.
  4. misterwogan

You got so much space in your mixes, you could quadruple if you wanted. Mine, as you know - are a bit busy and each instrument has to justify its space.

5. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

I generally double by using a capo to change the chord voicing and playing the part again. This way you get natural chorusing and a big fat sound which can be lowered in the mix to taste.

BallisticSquid and misterwogan like this.
  6. misterwogan

I like that :cool:

7. BallisticSquid

Never thought of that, but you are right. Even with my playing, I like things to have space. Honestly, it's partly derived from my skillset since I can't do fast and busy very well. You work with what you have :).

I plan on experimenting with more complex instrumentation and production, like adding strings or choral soundscapes. Not there yet.

Your mixes may be busy, but each instrument has it's space and purpose which is really cool.

misterwogan likes this.
  8. BallisticSquid

When playing in our church group which had 3 acoustic guitars, I would do that just to add something different to the sound. It is a cool effect and sound.

misterwogan likes this.