Acoustic Frets too small?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Leofender, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Leofender

Leofender Strat-Talker Silver Member

I find my acoustic guitar buzzing, and it's not the fault of the guitar! It's mine... I feel like it could be solved completely if I had a refret with jumbo sized frets.
    You see the buzzing comes from the extreme pressure and accuracy needed by the guitar. My Fender Strat and Tele are great, as the action and pressure to fret barre chords is very light, so no problemo.
    The cost of a refret is quite expensive, so I wonder about how effective at reducing the buzz it would be!
    Please advise!

2. of this world

of this world Senior Stratmaster

is your action too high?

Leofender likes this.
  3. Leofender

Oh... No the action is very low!
    Great question, though!

4. rake6978

rake6978 Strat-Talker

Before I re-fret a guitar I take the time to check both the fretboard and the frets themselves. Fret buzz is usually a fault of un-level frets/fretboards and not the player's inadequacies. Re-frets are expensive because they are labor intensive and should be reserved for when one just can't get it to a playing condition anymore. Neck resets are in that same boat. Most luthiers will evaluate your guitar for little to no charge and can give you a diagnosis and an estimate of the repair costs.

Leofender likes this.
  5. Leofender

YES your are spot on! I took the guitar to a luthier. I appreciate the excellent advice! I found a luthier nearby and went directly, after a chat about my problems with buzzing!

He DID find the neck had way too much relief in the neck. Fixed that quickly with a few judicious tweaks on the truss rod adjuster nut.
    While there I asked him to ROUND OFF the fretboard edges and frets. The frets were razor sharp, nit sprouting out, but the comfort and playability is MUCH IMPROVED!
    So, moral to the story is, take your sick guitar to the doctor, it's going to be sorted really quickly, and at a very reasonable price!!
    Oh,yes my left hand is also definitely a part of the problem, that is going to take some careful practice and strength building to solve, so buzz is my fault!
    However, the extent of the buzzing is far, far reduced now, given my guitar has been properly setup!

6. rake6978

rake6978 Strat-Talker

There's something to be said for quality practice! LOL!
    There's also something to be said for practicing on a properly set up guitar!
    Glad to hear you found someone to correct your issues. Sounds like you found
    someone you can trust.

Leofender likes this.
  7. Leofender

Ha ha... Right again. The problem was ME, I'M a crappy acoustic player.
    You are so right about how easy it is to play a nicely setup rig!
    The guitar plays better now, more comfortable and much less buzzing, due to the Luthier. So I am better, too!

Geez, my electric guitars are so easy to setup, with all those saddles, trem bridge and intonation adjustability. It appears that the simple acoustic guitar is actually rather more demanding of skills and tech know-how... Go figure!

8. Wound_Up

Wound_Up CUSTOM USER TITLE Silver Member

Setting up your own guitar should be one of the first things you learn, along with where the notes are on the fretboard, IMO. Personally, I couldn't imagine taking my guitar to someone for that and I've only been playing for 1.5 years at this point. Even the first few months, I did everything myself. Replaced the nut, replaced the pickup, replaced the pots and rewired the guitar, etc... I couldn't imagine having to pay someone for such little work. Especially considering how much it usually costs.

9. telepraise

telepraise Strat-O-Master

Glad you have a decent luthier nearby! Size of the frets was not the cause of the buzzing. How level the frets are and how the neck is set up are the main factors. If anything, jumbo frets on an acoustic will not intonate as accurately or sound as clean, which is why you never see jumbos on an acoustic.

Acoustic action has to be considerably higher than an electric to sound any good. As electric players we live with lots of fret noise because it doesn't come through electrically. That same amount of fret noise on an acoustic sounds bad. If you keep practicing on the acoustic, your hand strength and accuracy will improve. I play both and enjoy them equally for what they are. Rock on!

10. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Setting up an acoustic is way harder than electric. You have to sand or shim the saddle for action and possibly sand the break points on a saddle to help intonation. It’s not like turning screws on an electric, if you mess up you may need to buy a new saddle. It also requires removing the saddle to adjust so it’s way more time consuming.

Leofender and StratMike10 like this.