Acoustic pickguard removal & replacement

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by Tony6Strings, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Tony6Strings

Tony6Strings Senior Stratmaster

Hey all. I really want to switch out the gold colored pickguard that came on my Sonoran with a tort. Any tips for pulling the old pickguard off? It seems to be stuck on pretty tight. Heat gun? Is that safe for my guitar? Also, once I get it off, what's the best way to deal with the sticky mess that will be left behind?

2. CAR57

CAR57 Strat-Talker

Just did this on my Martin and got some nice blisters to prove it from rubbing off the glue with my fingertips. (plus side was it jump started my finger picking calluses! Haha) I just used a hair dryer, it doesn't take much, just heat evenly, peel an edge and keep heating as you're pulling. Just take your time and don't force anything. I believe StewMac had an article on this and they used a regular lamp (with incandescent bulb) I tried that first but didn't seem to generate enough heat. I like the concept better though since I didn't like having the hair dryer blowing into my guitar which I take so much care in properly humidifying but it only takes a few seconds so I'm sure it's no biggie.

A cool way to put the new one on is to lay it in position (while backing is still on) and make a "hinge" using masking tape, that way you can lift it up, peel off the backing, and then when you lay it back down it will be in the same spot. Make sense? sorry no pic.

3. CAR57

CAR57 Strat-Talker

found a pic. stupid simple, but effective. I hinged mine from the other side since I wanted to make sure it was aligned properly with the sound hole rings, but it probably doesn't matter which way. You can also fold a piece of tape and attach to the top of the p/g to create a little "handle" as in the second pic.

image-876745041.jpg

image-456093087.jpg

oh and there is a type of solvent that supposedly won't harm the finish for removing the extra glue, but I forget what it is and personally I wouldn't want to take a chance. your finger does work pretty well, but like I said... could be side effects

4. Tony6Strings

Tony6Strings Senior Stratmaster

Way cool man, thanks.

5. CAR57

CAR57 Strat-Talker

no problem man, that's the best part about finding little tricks like this.... sharing them