Adding Locking Tuners

hwy 49 blues

Strat-Talker
Jan 18, 2013
Mississippi
I'm going to add the Fender deluxe locking tuners(with the Fender "F" on it). There are three tuners w/long posts and three w/short posts.According to reviews,there are no instructions included about which strings go with the long posts and which with the short posts.Anyone know the answer to that problem.Hope my wording was understandable.Thanks.

Craig Howard

Strat-O-Master
Mar 17, 2013
New Zealand
Wow..I feel stoopid.

I fitted some to my strat and never even noticed this.

I just installed them in the order they came off the card.

Needless to say I have them wrong if Jack is correct with his advice.

Wonder why this info does not come on an instruction sheet!

BTW: my strat sounds great and I am in no hurry to fix it... but darn..its going to annoy me until I do.

jimmiraz

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 3, 2010
Buffalo NY
Wow..I feel stoopid.

I fitted some to my strat and never even noticed this.

I just installed them in the order they came off the card.

Needless to say I have them wrong if Jack is correct with his advice.

Wonder why this info does not come on an instruction sheet!

BTW: my strat sounds great and I am in no hurry to fix it... but darn..its going to annoy me until I do.
Jack has it right!

hwy 49 blues

Strat-Talker
Jan 18, 2013
Mississippi
Why wouldn't Fender just put it in writing? I'm going to go with Jack's info. In reviews i've read, I've come across both ways to do it. Oh well,Thanks again you guys.

Stratosaurus

Strat-Talker
Jun 11, 2006
Roseburg, OR
Just to reiterate, Jack has it right.

Why?

The strings that are higher up the length of the peg head require a string tree or shorter tuning posts to pull the strings tight over the nut. Always wind those strings from the top of the post toward the bottom.

hwy 49 blues

Strat-Talker
Jan 18, 2013
Mississippi
Thank all of you guys for your posts. That is why I love this site. There are so many knowledgable guitar nuts on it,and they don't mind sharing that knowledge. All of you guys are the best! God bless.

hwy 49 blues

Strat-Talker
Jan 18, 2013
Mississippi
Thanks Jack. I'm getting 2 sets today from Musician's friend. If I run into any probs,J'll probably come a calling. Have a great day my fellow guitar nut. God bless!

bbarott

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 29, 2010
Marietta Georgia
Locking tuners are great, must-have for me. The one and only reason I went with a Dx strat was to get them, being too darned lazy to just install myself. They'll change your life.

b.

hwy 49 blues

Strat-Talker
Jan 18, 2013
Mississippi
Locking tuners are great, must-have for me. The one and only reason I went with a Dx strat was to get them, being too darned lazy to just install myself. They'll change your life.

b.

Man,I'm really hoping that they do(change my life).Nothing I hate worse than changing strings.Except having to adjust tuning of strings between songs. Just making the frustration of changing strings quicker and easier is worth it .Throw in not having to constantly adjust a string here,a string there,etc. is going to be fantastic.Got a set for each of my 2 strats.Guess I'll get a set for my Tele next.

bbarott

Mar 29, 2010
Marietta Georgia
Man,I'm really hoping that they do(change my life).Nothing I hate worse than changing strings.Except having to adjust tuning of strings between songs. Just making the frustration of changing strings quicker and easier is worth it .Throw in not having to constantly adjust a string here,a string there,etc. is going to be fantastic.Got a set for each of my 2 strats.Guess I'll get a set for my Tele next.

I hear that. I'm actually thinking of making a small block, something I can lay on the fretboard right behind the first fret that I can pull the strings over to give me the perfect amount of slack. Then it'd be a simple thing of cutting off the old, threading the new, locking it down and crank it to tune. It'd turn a restring into a five minute job, tops. In fact I may just do that this afternoon, as both mine could use a restring right now.

b.

hwy 49 blues

Strat-Talker
Jan 18, 2013
Mississippi
Put both sets on my two strats plus added Elixar nanowebs 10-46. Sounds like a different guitar(both). Don't know if it's the added mass on the headstock,the strings,or a combination of several things,but d*mn, those two strats sound like honey!

bbarott

Mar 29, 2010
Marietta Georgia
Put both sets on my two strats plus added Elixar nanowebs 10-46. Sounds like a different guitar(both). Don't know if it's the added mass on the headstock,the strings,or a combination of several things,but d*mn, those two strats sound like honey!

Excellent. It might be that they stay in tune better, or perhaps it's the staggering that helps. In any case good deal, enjoy!

b.