Advice for a new strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Fox347, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Fox347

Fox347 New Member!

Hi guys, I'm new here and I really need your help... I'm having the hardest time trying to choose a 2000 USD Fender. I already have a "medium-end" Les Paul replica, but I just don't seem to cut through the mix with Gibson style guitars. They sound awesome alone, but with other instruments they sound too moody.

I play mostly blues/funk inspired hard rock. Nothing extreme or high gain, however, I'll play with overdrive and some distortion.

I've been looking at the Ultra series, but they sound too sterile for me. Maybe I don't know enough about strats, since I've played Gibson style guitars all my life, but that's how I perceive them. I also looked the Original series, more precisely the '60.

Which new fender or S guitar would you recommend in that price range?

Thank you for your help.

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

I think you ought to play a lot of different strats, to see if they're for you. It is a big adjustment going from thick humbuckers to thin sounding strat pickups, comparatively.

Not steering you away from a Strat, just saying to try out every possible option.

Fox347 likes this.
  3. mjea80

mjea80 Lost In The Light Silver Member

If you dont mind buying used I would look into the American Vintage series.

Fox347 likes this.
  4. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

I grew up a Gibson guy. I always stayed away from Strats because of the same thing, that thin sound... I even bought, traded, and sold a few over the years and never gave them more than 5 minutes of play time. They just weren't my thing.

I don't really recall why but I bought an American Standard, brand new, on a whim. I have never looked back. I've owned dozens since then and have sold off all Gibsons except an acoustic.

It takes some time to find the sound. The Strat is an incredibly versatile instrument. I think you will be well served by any high end Strat. I will say I never have been a fan of the noiseless pickups, but other than that. Just grab one that speaks to you and then spend some time getting to know her. Play around with the different pickups and with your amp settings, You will be surprised at the tones you discover. I know I was.

Strats truly are an addiction. Have fun.

5. TomH8

TomH8 Senior Stratmaster

I know you came to strat talk, but don’t overlook a Tele. A strat neck pickup is magical, but so is a tele bridge pickup. And if you came from Gibson and the whole floating trem worries you, a tele is rock solid

6. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Try these mods on your current guitar:
    -Lower the pickups and raise the screw poles 1/8th inch -- this will clean them up and brighten the tone. Might be all you need to fix the tone.
    -Swap volume pot(s) for higher measured in the spec kohms. Pots have a 20% tolerance range and it matters even when 'wide open'
    -Series cap on the muddy pickup(s), use 0.047uF, unsolder the pickup hot lead from the switch, solder in the cap. This cuts the internal capacitance of the pickup to clean a muddy pickup up.

As far as the Strat ... just get a used MIM Standard or a new (or used if they are around) MIM Player Series.
    Tricks with Strats are lower the pickups to the pickguard, turn up the amp volume, use something like a Fuzz Face pedal rolled back to clean up or a Joyo American Sound pedal.

Neophyte16, Fox347 and myredstrat like this.
  7. Fox347

Fox347 New Member!

Thanks, I'll definitely try them out before spending that amount of money, specially because my local store does not offer refunds.

Unfortunately, the second hand market in my country is very small and kind of risky. I think I couldn't even differentiate an original one.

Thanks for the advice, I too am kind of sold by how much clarity they have and how they cut through the mix. Yeah, I'm not so convinced by those noisless pickups either, mostly because I want a real strat sound.

I definitely will try them out! I've always been a fan of teles, although I would like something more versatile.

Thanks for the great advice, and although I couldn’t try the second and third mods (I don't know a single thing about messing with the electronics), I'll try the first one. I am really searching for a high end strat, so the MIM is not an option. I know they are awesome, but I would like something more classy. Specially since I won't have this amount of money anytime soon.

Guys, thanks for all the advice. Do you consider the American Professional a professional instrument? This sounds silly of course, but you know what I mean. I've been saving for quite a while know and would really like to invest in a great instrument. I'm just afraid that the Original series is not as good as the AV series, as I've heard some people have had very bad experiences.

mjea80 likes this.
  8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

any current fender product available from the mid range up constitutes a "professional" instrument... the primary defining moment of ascension is in the setup, including a fret leveling.

And if you truly seek "cut through the mix" articulation, it's in the pickups.. choose Bill Lawrence MicroCoils, Kinmans, Bardens, any of which will have many in the audience stopping and snapping their heads around to see who's playing THAT... so ya better know how to do it correctly..:p

r

9. tinkertoy

tinkertoy Strat-O-Master

Play as many as you can

There are magical strats, teles, etc. at all price points.

And yes, I have played lower cost ones that outplayed the more expensive ones.

Figure out the classic/modern thing first. That is important.

Then go from there.

I'd suggest a more modern strat if you are not dead set on a particular sound.

For 2grand, and being in the US, I'd do what I did before: build a warmoth to my spec.

But that is just me. No fender has ticked off as many boxes as my warmoth
    20181210_220032.jpg

Ut then, that is no easy task since I literally ticked them all with this one. Lol

Good luck on your search.

Let us know what you get.

And pics are required. No NGD without pics!

10. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 Strat-O-Master

As other have said - I’d just play as many as you can until you find one that feels and sounds right. At that price point, I think you’ll find that there are some pretty incredible instruments to be had, and that you won’t be disappointed. Good luck with your search!

11. Neophyte16

Neophyte16 Strat-Talker

you should try different strats to know what you are looking for. Since people have there own personal preference when it comes to guitars. I'm enjoying my 93 Fender MIJ 62 inspired strat at home. But when i gig (rarely) I use my Squier because I prefer the feel of it.