Advice Needed: Cerulean Blue Classic '60s Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Retroe, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

I normally don't buy used guitars online as I've had some bad luck in the past. But I've always wanted a Classic '60s Strat w/rosewood board and since they're discontinued, used is the only way to go.

I know the new Vintera models are available and I almost went that route. They look really nice and I can't imagine the Pau Ferro board would feel much different than rosewood. But I decided to be patient and keep an eye out for a '60s Classic Series instead.

Well my patience paid off. I recently found a Classic '60s Strat on the Bay in excellent condition and grabbed it. Came with a non-Fender hard-shell case which I'm fine with, much better than a bag imo.

The verdict: I have to say I'm in love. She plays beautiful and sounds like a Strat should. Can't put the thing down. Just a joy to play and no dead spots or buzzing. I can do full bends on the 7.25 board and she doesn't fret-out and the rosewood looks beautiful.

The color is called Cerulean Blue which wouldn't have been my first choice but now that I've had her for a few weeks the color is growing on me. It's hard to describe but its kind of a more turquoise than blue, kind of in between green and blue like a very pastel kind of blue.

Anyway, being a used guitar and my poor luck in the past with used instruments, I have a couple questions. Like what's the protocol for going through a recently purchased used guitar from online? Is there anything I should do right now to make sure she's totally legit?

The seller seemed very nice and I have no reason to think I've been scammed. But I have been duped in the past buying online and this guitar wasn't cheap. I paid $700 plus shipping and feel that was kind of high for a MIM Strat. But she's in excellent condition with no fret wear and plastic still on the pickguard.

So I posted some pics and just wanted to ask if you see anything unusual and perhaps give me some advice on what y'all would do after acquiring a nice used guitar like this, other than play her a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    arcticstrat, Kdawg1966, ~NT~ and 24 others like this.
  2. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

That is one beautiful axe! So if it feels good to ya, and sounds fine, just play the heck out of it. That is a high price for it, but in the long run that doesn't matter if she's a good player. I have several that I can't remember what I paid for them anymore, they're just some of my favorite guitars.

Yves and Retroe like this.
  3. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

it is a stunner, congrats !

i think i paid too much for my used 2013 60's classic series tele but i do not care now.

the value and quality is extra high with the classic series. the fit and finish is as good as much more expensive guitars and the hardware is high quality also.

i can not wait to get a matching strat.

Retroe and Stratwrangler like this.
  4. Gevalt

Gevalt Strat-O-Master

Ohhhh yes. That fretboard. And the colour! Holy shnikees. :)

Sarnodude, s5tuart and Retroe like this.
  5. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    They're "almost AVRI" for less than American Standard pricing. Absolutely killer guitars for a great price. That colour was a FSR, IIRC...

I've been thinking of selling my 60s that's in my avatar. I must not play it first.

Yves, Retroe, Deviljho and 1 other person like this.
  6. Rocket King

Rocket King Strat-O-Master

Congratulations on your purchase and perseverance, it definitely paid off! Beautiful finish:thumb:

Retroe likes this.
  7. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

Beautiful guitar congrats

Retroe likes this.
  8. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Nice. Congrats. ENJOY!!!

Retroe likes this.
  9. BlurgyWurgyWibble

BlurgyWurgyWibble Strat-O-Master

In the UK these go for about £500 used in mint condition. That's about $620 at today's exchange rate.
    You would not expect a hard case at that price ..
    So, while you did pay top wedge, I would not be too concerned as it looks wonderful!
    The Classic series are my favourite Fenders bar none. I have 2 70s ones and sold my 2008 Amstd last year because I just never played it.
    The 2008 was a superlative instrument, far better wood and finish, but it had no character. Sounds silly perhaps but the Classic guitars have a slightly more rough and ready feel and tone. It certainly couldn't compete with my 1999 70s Classic once I'd put the raw vintage springs in.

How heavy is the 60s Classic BTW? My 1999 is a whopping 9.5lbs!

PS: Definitely recommend the raw vintage trem springs. They are a higher diameter wire and add a ton of resonance and sustain.

Jesse414 and Retroe like this.
  10. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

Thanks for all the compliments, she weighs just under 8 lbs. Actually 7 lbs. 14 oz.s to be exact (according to my scale).

One thing I thought was odd is that although the pickguard is mint green, the trem cover on the back is white. Does anyone know if that's how these came?

11. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster

I'd put new strings on (if you haven't already), and probably a little lemon oil on the fretboard as it looks a bit dry.

A new complimentary strap would also be on my list but that's about it.

And apart from playing it, there's really not much else to do.

Great colour too! :thumb:

Jesse414 and Retroe like this.
  12. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Senior Stratmaster

Love it, congrats!

Retroe likes this.
  13. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

Thanks, exactly the kind of advice I was asking about.

14. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster

:cool:

Retroe likes this.
  15. Davesarge

Davesarge Strat-Talk Member

I’m with you on the fret board wood type. This looks fantastic

Single Malt and Retroe like this.
  16. Lewbypls

Lewbypls Strat-O-Master

I would have easily jumped on that. I really like the color a lot lol

Single Malt and Retroe like this.
  17. antitype

antitype Strat-Talker

Very nice! Congrats! I have often wondered why some have mint on the front and white on the back. I’m just ocd enough to change the tremolo cover.

Retroe likes this.
  18. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich Strat-O-Master

Cerulean Blue is my favorite Strat color.

Retroe likes this.
  19. Retroe

Retroe Strat-Talker

Thanks, and from what I can tell, the '60 series Classic Strats all had white trem covers.

20. Nolefinity

Nolefinity Strat-Talker

I have a lacquer fiesta red classic series Strat on Reverb now. I removed the back Trem cover when I got it and forgot until I just saw it again: it’s bright white, and the front pickguard is mint green. So I believe that’s how all of these classic series are. Not sure why though!

Retroe likes this.