Advice Needed: Cerulean Blue Classic '60s Strat

Jesse414

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 1, 2019
Wisconsin
That is just..... AWESOME!!! And the color is.....even more AWESOME!!!! I want one like right now because it looks so ... AWESOME!!! Happy awesome strat day to you!!

Neil.C

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 3, 2012
Surrey, England
Thanks, and from what I can tell, the '60 series Classic Strats all had white trem covers.

It's true.

Congratulations on your new guitar, I have the exact same model bought over here for £429 new from GuitarGuitar.

Great guitars - and the best colour!

P.S Mine weighs 7.4lb.

strat.jpg

Bucklander

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 27, 2020
The Cotswolds, England
Nice - the mint green guard works beautifully with that colour. There's an identical one on eBay UK now for £650.00. I'm considering one myself, in a lacquer finish. The 60s appears to be universally loved (like the 60s Tele). The only thing I've read against is that the bridge pickup is a little weak, but that's obviously a matter of taste. FWIW, I would put a three-ply mint green tremolo cover on it.

Agtronic

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 3, 2017
Montreal
Jesus Christ that is one beautiful Strat. Absolutely love the color. And the combination of the yellowed headstock, lustrous rosewood fingerboard and faded pick guard is just perfect. Really, really nice.

Ruscio

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 14, 2016
Pennsylvania
I normally don't buy used guitars online as I've had some bad luck in the past. But I've always wanted a Classic '60s Strat w/rosewood board and since they're discontinued, used is the only way to go.

I know the new Vintera models are available and I almost went that route. They look really nice and I can't imagine the Pau Ferro board would feel much different than rosewood. But I decided to be patient and keep an eye out for a '60s Classic Series instead.

Well my patience paid off. I recently found a Classic '60s Strat on the Bay in excellent condition and grabbed it. Came with a non-Fender hard-shell case which I'm fine with, much better than a bag imo.

The verdict: I have to say I'm in love. She plays beautiful and sounds like a Strat should. Can't put the thing down. Just a joy to play and no dead spots or buzzing. I can do full bends on the 7.25 board and she doesn't fret-out and the rosewood looks beautiful.

The color is called Cerulean Blue which wouldn't have been my first choice but now that I've had her for a few weeks the color is growing on me. It's hard to describe but its kind of a more turquoise than blue, kind of in between green and blue like a very pastel kind of blue.

Anyway, being a used guitar and my poor luck in the past with used instruments, I have a couple questions. Like what's the protocol for going through a recently purchased used guitar from online? Is there anything I should do right now to make sure she's totally legit?

The seller seemed very nice and I have no reason to think I've been scammed. But I have been duped in the past buying online and this guitar wasn't cheap. I paid $700 plus shipping and feel that was kind of high for a MIM Strat. But she's in excellent condition with no fret wear and plastic still on the pickguard.

So I posted some pics and just wanted to ask if you see anything unusual and perhaps give me some advice on what y'all would do after acquiring a nice used guitar like this, other than play her a lot.

II32Y3A.jpg

Extxhz0.jpg

qY5EKMl.jpg

5VyWWe3.jpg

yODkj2O.jpg

RnpulxH.jpg

ByhxpWX.jpg

That's gorgeous, the fretboard in particular. Congrats. If you like it, the price will seem inconsequential in no time.

Deafsoundguy

CERTIFIED HACK
Silver Member
Mar 6, 2020
Area 51
Thanks for all the compliments, she weighs just under 8 lbs. Actually 7 lbs. 14 oz.s to be exact (according to my scale).

One thing I thought was odd is that although the pickguard is mint green, the trem cover on the back is white. Does anyone know if that's how these came?

Yeah buddy, I've never been into the colored Strats or bursts myself but I really like that color. Just sends me back to Beach Boys years et al. Obviously by your responses, it was a great color choice.

I have to ask though about your avatar photo with the blue headstock. What the heck is that all about? I really think that's cool. A Strat in that color with matching headstock would be too cool. Is that something that's offered or some yesteryear thing? Excuse me if it's a dumb question, I have never seen that before....

Retroe

Strat-O-Master
May 22, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
Had no idea I'd get so many nice compliments. Y'all made me feel confident about my purchase. Thanks guys.

Need to remove the plastic film from the guard and install a new set of strings and maybe a little lemon oil to the fretboard this weekend to make her mine

I have to ask though about your avatar photo with the blue headstock. What the heck is that all about? I really think that's cool. A Strat in that color with matching headstock would be too cool. Is that something that's offered or some yesteryear thing? Excuse me if it's a dumb question, I have never seen that before....

My avatar photo is from a Strat I had many years ago. If I remember correctly she was seafoam green or maybe surf green with a matching headstock. Can't remember what model or year but I'm pretty sure it was also a MIM. Sadly I didn't really bond with it and ended up selling her.

Last edited: