[Advice needed] Issue with my Strat bridge & distortion on Low E string

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Castellorizon, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Castellorizon

Castellorizon New Member!

Hey guys,

Would like to start off by saying that I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if I posted this thread in the wrong section of the forum. Feel free to move it somewhere else if that's the case! On to business...

I have an Am Standard 2012 Strat. I was restringing my guitar about a month ago, and the thing is, I don't really remember, but stupidly enough I think I bought different strings with a different gauge than I usually have (I usually buy 011-049 strings). So, my problem is - I don't remember which ones I bought (I think it was 012 and upwards) this time because I was in a hurry. Since it a while ago, I haven't kept the package the strings came in.

Anyway, I'm not sure if my problem is due to the different string gauge than usual, but my bridge is floating. When I was restringing my guitar, I didn't keep the tremolo on.

Here's an album on imgur with pics of how my bridge looks right now:
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

As you can see, my bridge is floating, and it prevents me from using my trem arm the way I want to. Also, I've noticed that my low E string is distorting while plugged into my amp. It doesn't buzz or distort while I play on it acoustically. I have no idea why. I was thinking of buying new strings, with the regular string gauge, but I want to see if it's possible to fix all of this before I do. I don't want to waste money needlessly.

Please help me out. I tried detuning my guitar to lower the bridge, then I put on my tremolo arm, and then tuned the guitar back up again, but the bridge is still floating. What can I do? I'm completely clueless here. :oops:

2. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    If the only difference is new strings then yes, you went with a heavier gauge. You can tighten the claw springs or go back to a lighter gauge.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

This should help....we also know where to find vids to do a whole setup including truss rod relief, action height, and intonation if you'd like...

Thicker strings have higher tension so it makes total sense that this happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7luUzgDwwcs