1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Advice on Marshall JCM2000 DSL401

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by ChrisD, Jul 25, 2020.

1. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Stratmaster

I have the chance to buy one of these but I know very little about them. I've read some very mixed opinions on them, mostly reliability and heat issues.

Does anyone here have one? Any advice or comments. Its the 1x12 40w combo.

2. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-O-Master

If the price is right, do it.

Can't go wrong with a JCM/DSL.

ChrisD and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster

Get another model if possible.
    Some have problems with bias voltage not stable.
    Maybe you can get a JVM combo for the same price.
    All the best,
    Robin

4. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

I tried one when they first came out. I didn’t think the cleans were very inspiring and the distortion was buzzy.

I went with a Mesa Boogie instead...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    ChrisD, TIMB and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

I have one and absolutely love it. I never use any of the distortion or drive channels though. I always just push the clean channel pretty hard. Depending on the year it was made they had issues with biasing. I think that was pre 2006 but don't quote me on that. The big issue that most ran intobwas the SS bridge rectifier would overheat and open. The best thing is to replace them with longer legs that will lift it about 1/2 inch off the board. A lot of other people liked to put a heat sink and a fan on them too...I only lifted mine and haven't had an issue since.
    I also had to replace the volume pot when it opened causing a tube to red plate.
    So a pot and a BR were the only issues in a decade.
    At bedroom volumes you can get so.e really smooth jazzy overtones. If you want it to wKe up and get happy, push it hard and turn the volume up to at least 4 1/2.
    I get lots of compliments on the tones I get from it all the time.

ChrisD likes this.
  6. Gridlock

Gridlock Strat-O-Master

The early ones had overheating problems during the first year or two of production. I had any early 2001 DSL401 and I never had any problems. I always sat a small fan behind it when I played it for any long length of time.

A pretty versatile and fun amp. Sounded good at lower volumes. The stock speaker was its weakness at higher volumes. I paid $300 for an almost mint amp about 6 years ago and traded it later for another amp plus cash. Three Hundred Dollars would be about the max that I would expect to pay for a DS401 or a DSL201.

If the amp is still working now 20 years later the early issues should not be a problem.

ChrisD likes this.
  7. ChrisD

Thank you all. Seems everywhere I look it's a real mixed bag of opinions on these lol!

I've read about the heat issues, replacing 2 resistors on the earlier models seems to work well as does raising the rectifier. Regarding the stock speaker, I see many recommendations for putting a Vintage 30 in there. I happen to have an Eminence Governor here that is supposed to be a copy of the V30 so I could give that a try!

I suppose I should try one first but a UK built Marshall for under £300 is tempting seeing as its main issues, if it has them, can be sorted relatively easily. I shall update the thread if and when I get it:thumb:

The-Kid likes this.
  8. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-O-Master

Definitely worth a gamble for £300 IMO.

That's a steal.

ChrisD likes this.
  9. ChrisD

Ok so I've managed to find what I think is a good one! I'll post further details tomorrow when I very may well have it in my possession! :D

Robins and Bob the builder like this.
  10. ChrisD

Ta-Da!!!
    20200903_161855.jpg

Picked it up earlier today! 2007 DSL401. So far I like it. I'm finding myself setting all eq's below 5, it's a really bright amp, I think I have the treble on the clean channel set on 2 lol. The reverb is quite weak but it's there. OD2 is more fun than OD1 that's for sure:whistling::whistling:. All in all it's a nice amp and its LOUD!

It seems to be 100% stock. Original gold back speaker and 8 Marshall Valves. Being 2007 it has had the heating issues sorted and upon checking the pcb I see no signs of burning etc.

It's still early days but if I mod anything it will be a new speaker and reverb tank and that's about it:cool:

jtoomuch, Robins and albala like this.
  11. ChrisD

On a final note on this amp, I rebiased it this morning and the eq has opened up a little it seems. I can now get the treble control on the clean channel above 2 without shredding my eardrums. It was set pretty cold but I adjusted it and it sounds pretty good now:thumb:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Robins likes this.
  12. ChrisD

New speaker today and I have to say it sounds like a new amp. Eminence really knocked it out of the park with these. I'd recommend anyone with a Marshall try one
    20200909_172730.jpg

I did have one in a Laney that was beyond repair so never got to hear it before I parted it out. The Governor is simply fantastic!

I also replaced the bridge rectifier as a precaution and kept it raised of the board. These are a known problem on the amps and I went with one that is a bit higher spec than the standard BR102. I went with a KBPC1010W.
    20200909_170030.jpg 20200909_170038.jpg

Not very interesting but it might help someone else down the line someday :)

13. ChrisD

So much for only modding the speaker and reverb tank:confused:
    20200927_140848.jpg

That's what I took out yesterday lol. The 3 little guys on the right were the "mods". The rest were swapped out for Nichicon/Panasonic/Orange drops etc that I had lying around. The 3 mods made a nice difference, the rest was an exercise in boredom and nothing more:D:D.

14. ChrisD

I initially asked for advice on this amp, I think now I just need help because I'm putting this in it:D
    20201012_142657.jpg

Its likely getting more investment than it's ever going to be worth but I see potential in it:confused: