Advice on what to do with my brand new strat being delivered damaged

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by jpokwatka, Apr 23, 2020.

1. R-Dizzle

R-Dizzle Strat-Talker

Yep

2. SunburstHSH

SunburstHSH Strat-Talk Member

RTS. Before you get attached to it.

3. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

How many days after you return a guitar do you have to return the guitar?

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  4. whiteheat777

whiteheat777 Strat-Talk Member

5. whiteheat777

whiteheat777 Strat-Talk Member

No two ways about - send it back

6. Bettyfender

Bettyfender Strat-Talk Member

I love how every one blames the seller. This is clearly shipping damage. That's not the sellers fault. If the box was signed with the courier and damage was not declared its not on the seller. Its on whoever signed for the package. I can't imagine a 600+ plus guitar being shipped without a signature required. Once it leaves the stores shipping department they did their part and shipped your order and the mistake was on the consignee. If you signed for it good condition you cannot insurance claim the freight damage. So you screwed the seller out of being able to benefit for they insurance they paid for. Be glad they took it back! 60 buck is 10 percent off thats a decent discount a min fender is not an investment. With map pricing nowadays that vender isn't making any more than 25-30% on the guitar plus you probably got free shipping to the tune of 50+ bucks out of the sellers profit. There was probably less than 100 buck profit in the whole deal for them After paying the sales staff warehouse cost and shipping. 60 bucks is generous. That was the same box fender used to ship it to them in.

7. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Strat-Talk Member

Forget about a discount - that's only money. You will never be fully happy with that guitar IMO. Indeed, send it back.

8. CAR63

CAR63 Strat-Talk Member

If the seller will cooperate , send it back . I worked as a receiving clerk for 20+ years at a large national company . If we did not document damage or short deliveries with the delivery driver our ass was grass . I don't remember one time a shipper would honor a discrepancy without the drivers signed statement , or better yet pictures . Towards the end of my career the drivers would be happy to take pictures with their phone , but we took pictures as well to cover our ass . Not everyone is going to be a nice guy about this … as the saying goes nice guys finish last , especially in business !

9. SueG

SueG New Member!

Coming from some one who was in Retail Mgt. For over 25 years..RETURN IT!! And if you get Any negative response. Call Credit card,cancel payment ect.
    There can be more problems you haven't discovered yet! Thats A Lot of money,that other Retailers would glad to hook you up with a Perfect Guitar. I returned my Seagull 6 Times (a different company) then turned around and put it into Warranty Repair,till it was Perfect. Dont regret a minute of hassel. Good luck

10. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Strat-O-Master

Leave it to your wife/girlfriend to do it for you....they ll give them so much crap,that the store might throw in an extra practice amp and a couple of picks for the inconvenience....:D

11. jpokwatka

jpokwatka Strat-Talk Member

OP here. I do agree that maybe I should have opened the box and inspected it before I signed for the package. However you gotta think about the reality of the situation. Think, the ups guy is standing on my porch, in the midday sun, so then I gotta make him wait for me to open up and unpack the box, inspect it all over and then even maybe plug it in and jam for a minute and make sure its all good? In reality I don't think the ups guy would be too pleased with that minimum of 5-10 min delay. Especially now in the days of the coronovirus. BTW I worked for ups for a time years ago, so I guess maybe I do have a little bias towards not wanting to make their jobs any harder that it already is.

And I don't exactly how it would work, but say I spotted the damage before I signed for it and then refused to accept it. Wouldn't I then still have to communicate with the seller and request a refund and do basically the exact same process as I just did now.
    Seems a bit like blaming the victim to me... lol

Bottom line, the seller should have packed it way better. Yes it was the same box fender shipped it to them, but it obviously had been opened, taken out and then repacked before it was sent to me. They shoulda known that single layer of cardboard was not an appropriate box to ship a 700 dollar guitar. As I mentioned before, when I shipped it back I sent it back with full of packing.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  12. jpokwatka

jpokwatka Strat-Talk Member

BTW just want to thank everyone for their replies on this. I really was on the fence as to whether I could fix the damage for a nice partial refund. But I totally get now that would have been impossible to fix right regardless of any partial refund.
    Just as a bit of closure on this story, I shipped it back out last week and I just received my full refund last night. So alls well that ends well!
    I wonder what they'll do with the guitar now? Collect whatever shipping insurance and then maybe part it out?

13. LawFlow

LawFlow Strat-Talk Member

To the OP - I'm glad it worked out for you. A few years ago, I ordered new gear valued at $2,500 from a well known online store. The delivery guy didn't knock or if he did, I didn't hear it. He just put the stuff on my porch and left. It's a good thing I had been tracking and was home. I should have raised a stink, but was just happy nothing was stolen or damaged.

strat1339 likes this.
  14. LordOfPudding

LordOfPudding Strat-Talker

Glad it worked out.
    The undamaged parts will probably end up on Stratosphere.

15. DaveDaDude

DaveDaDude Strat-Talker

You're not less refined than me. I'd also tell them to stick it and either refund all my money, pay me to ship it back to them or talk to my attorney. (and hoping my new Strat doesn't arrive like that)

16. DaveDaDude

DaveDaDude Strat-Talker

I saw someplace that if the seller won't cooperate, that Reverb will push him to. Not sure how successful that will be, but iirc it was successful.

17. Jam Handy

Jam Handy Strat-Talk Member

You didn't say which shipping company f-ed it up for you? I going to guess UPS (United Parcel Service) as their we-don't-give-a-damn Teamsters Union drivers pretty much could care less if their work is quality or not. No matter how they deliver your package, they can't get fired or in any trouble because the union protects them, Kind of like how the United Auto Workers (UAW) protects workers who have other people clock them in at work while they sit at home playing X-Box and continue to make $30+/hr... or take a nap as 20 of their cars pass them by on the assembly line, missing the 6 screws they were supposed to put in the dash for $30+/hr... (meanwhile we are supposed to wonder why cars cost $50,000 these days... duhhhhh)

Return the thing and tell the store you don't want UPS to deliver anything to your house. If it was from Guitar Center/Musician's (un)Friend(ly)... they only use UPS because UPS gives them a kick back cheaper rate if they agree to use them exclusively.

My first suggestion (if that's where you bought it) would be to never do business with Guitar Center, Inc again... knowing this company and how they run their business, it could have been damaged in their warehouse, they knew all about the damage, shrugged their shoulders in good Guitar Center fashion, and they sent it to you anyways...

Besides... was there no shipping insurance put on the shipment??? When it gets damaged in shipping, that's where the money comes from to replace the item that was shipped.

I smell a typical UPS fart, but it could be any of them... I've just had the most problems with UPS. The last package they brought me (which is the last package I will ever let anybody use UPS to send me items)... driver knocked on the door, I was home, by the time I stood up and opened the door, the guy was getting in his truck to drive off... leaving my $300 stomp box on the steps... IN THE FREAKING RAIN... to hell with UPS... they will never deliver anything else to my house...now if I order anything online I specify FedEx Ground or USPS only... and if they only use UPS, I shop somewhere else...

FWIW, I made it a policy to never buy guitars online... how do you know what the guitar is going to end up like? Its kind of like playing Russian Roulette with guitars...

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  18. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

A clause that states “we will not accept returns under any circumstances’ would be ruled out as an unfair contract in Tge UK unless you were buying goods that were known to be B grade, damaged or second hand and sold as seen. You can’t simply state ‘no returns, no refunds’ as a caveat on a brand new item.

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

I don’t think holding the seller responsible for sorting out the customer is the same as blaming the seller for the damage. It just tracks back up the chain.

20. skinnyass

skinnyass Strat-Talk Member

I think your best course of action would have been to chain it to the back of your pickup, drag it down a gravel road, 1/4 mile per side, carve a few sets of "famous musicians'" initials with a broken beer bottle, marinate it in a manure & garbage mulch pile for a month or two so that animals can urinate on it, and then sell it on eBay as "heavily reliced & once owned by some guitar hero." Should bring a hefty profit in today's idiotic market.