Advice requested for guitar for my daughter

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by DrDiederick, Jun 3, 2021.

1. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Senior Stratmaster

My advice would be to take her to the shop. First guitars should inspire a new player to want to pick it up every chance they get, so visuals at this point are more important than specs.

The other bit of advice I usually give is once it's decided what kind of guitar has captured her interest, try to buy it used. I know everyone likes the idea of a new thing no one else has played, but you'll get a higher quality guitar within your spending limit and a better quality instrument can help a beginner stay motivated. A lot people quit because they think they suck, when often the guitar is holding them back.

The other reason to buy used is that it can take a few tries to find the right fit. If you buy new and it's decided another guitar would be more suitable you're out a minimum 30%. If you buy used you stand a good chance of getting all of your money back to reinvest.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    3bolt79, Nadnitram and DrDiederick like this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I think you're best off letting her choose her own guitar, they're very personal things. Don't forget to budget for an amp too.

3bolt79, Nadnitram, Neil.C and 2 others like this.
  3. hiasakite

hiasakite Strat-Talk Member

This and this.

She needs guitar that is special to her, that makes her want to pick it up.

And clearly, something that is easy for her to play etc, but it must be something that she wants to play.

Let her choose, just steer her away from any "dogs"..

And enjoy it - I look forward to the day I could take my son or daughter guitar shopping....

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

It's great fun, even more so when you get to take your grandkids. ;)

5. Mike Manhost67

Mike Manhost67 Strat-Talker

I wouldn't buy her anything, but take her to a bunch of stores, and see what calls out to her.

You have to have that special relationship with an instrument when first starting out (and of course afterwards).

Let her find it and fall in love with it on her own.

6. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

Spanish acoustic. Easy to play. No finger tip pain after two hours!

DrDiederick likes this.
  7. Stevn

Stevn Senior Stratmaster

My friend Paul’s son wanted a guitar so they took me with them. I played every single guitar he pointed at. After and hour or so he had it down to three. Then I suggested buying the one with the longest resonance. So we hit an open G and timed the sustain. He was really happy with his choice.

3bolt79, dirocyn and DrDiederick like this.
  8. Slacker G

Slacker G Strat-O-Master

I always suggest a mid range guitar that sounds good, can be set up to play easily, and stays in tune most of the time. I also believe that a multiple FX pedal is a nice addition to keep a kid interested as they would not have to hear the same plain sound all the time. Sometimes FX can inspire playing. I have written songs just because I was messing with an effect and I would meld into the sound and become inspired by a chop that the effect enhanced.

surfnturf likes this.
  9. danzigdan

danzigdan Strat-Talk Member

Squier Classic Vibes are great, but maybe one of the new Epiphone SG’s. The SG Modern has coil splitting. Lighter weight too.

10. Richard McKay

Richard McKay Strat-Talker

Dude, you are missing the most important part. She needs an experience with her dad and a story:

"For my 16th birthday, my dad took me to four different guitar shops. We spent the whole day playing guitars and trying different ones and at the end i picked out this beautiful_______ and I've been playing it ever since." That's how you make a guitar player AND a cool daughter.

And then she counts the band in for her next number.

11. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

With my two sons I told them what they could spend then took them to the guitar shop and they played a whole bunch of them and chose for themselves eldest chose a Les Paul type can't remember what exactly but its long gone. The youngest made the excellent choice of a Pacifica which he still has almost 20 years later.

3bolt79 and Nadnitram like this.
  12. dbluesmi

dbluesmi Strat-Talk Member

PRS SE

13. Middle Earth

Middle Earth Strat-Talker

Perhaps a PRS SE with no maple veneer?.

14. Surf Green

Surf Green Strat-Talk Member

HSS Strat, Classic Vibe or Player. All bases covered.

15. cglasford

cglasford Strat-Talk Member

I agree 100% she is going to like the guitar way more if you just let her pick it out herself.

metrokosmiko and Wayne Adams like this.
  16. dudafun

dudafun Strat-Talker

Fender

17. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talker

I hear Pacificas are great beginner guitars, and she seems to dig your strats.

A Mexican Fender can be had used around your pricepoint... But I guess it's a gift after all and a new guitar would be nicer.

If you surprise her with the guitar she will he thrilled but she will also he stoked if you just take her to the store and have her pick up what she likes.

Either way it's a great gift from a cool dad!

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. Exhead

Exhead Strat-Tinkerer Gold Supporting Member

Kids are funny that way.

With some coaching on maintenance and upkeep on the guitar she can rally learn a lot about taking care of one as well so when/if she advances she is a step ahead in terms of treatment of the guitar for longevity and resell values.

I am on the set a budget let her choose and take her around to look team.

That "What does she want" question was the best response I have seen.

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. Downsman

Downsman New Member!

My experience with my own daughter, and the children of friends of mine, is that the guitars they fall in love with are not the ones I would have chosen for them. They might choose them for all the "wrong" reasons. They might not be the best value for money, or have the pickups, scale length, neck shape, switching you think would suit them best. But something about it grabbed them and made them fall in love with it, so it is indeed the perfect guitar for them. Because they'll look at it and want to play it. So another vote for making the birthday gift a trip to a guitar shop together. Will make it much more memorable an occasion as well.

3bolt79 and Nadnitram like this.