Affinity or Standard?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by anifyre, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Most Honored Senior Member

The Squier Bullet Strat

To make things even more complicated, there's the Bullet, which may in fact have a thicker neck than the Affinity. Rob DiStefano has been modding these, has a thread on it at TDPRI worth checking out.

My personal choice is the Squier Strat I can find made in Indonesia. The contractor, Cortek, has a great state of the art new plant in Surubaya and makes many great guitars, including the G + L Tribute series guitars. If there was one and only one rule of thumb I could offer a buyer with limited funds, that would be, shop the Crafted in Indonesia labeled Squiers first.

Bubbanov

2. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

Uh Oh Boris, I see a new crafted in Indonesia v. Made in Indonesia craze coming! LOL

I will say that my Affinity is a MII and I think it is better than the MIK and MIC Affinity;s I've messed with from time to time.

3. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

I think the reason there is no thin bodied American is simply because this is supposed to be the flagship of Fender Instruments. The American Stratocaster!

The Affinity's are supposed to be starter or student level guitars. Straight from the factory they are. A little setup and they can be playable and maybe on occasion you get a really nice example without too much work.

As far as thickness of bodies... Half the thickness is made up with the sealer! LOL The thickness of my affinity is maybe a quarter inch less total? There's more sealer than that on my guitar!!!!!!

I'm sure the full thickness bodies have something... I just am not convinced it's all that. Look at Ibanez guitars and PRSs.... Some of them are darn near anorexic! Heck look at the old Gibson L-6 I used to own, it was thinner than my Affinity, but sure as heck sounded like a full size Les Paul. and it had a maple capped maple neck and strings through the body!!!!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while I agree that the Squier's are certainly better than the Affinity's and the MIM are better than the Squiers and the American's are... well, you get the point. The bottom line is that you can make an Affinity a VERY playable guitar without too much work or even investment of capital. I have gigged with my Affinity and nobody looked twice at it... nobody in the band believes me when I tell them I paid 60 bucks for it. And NOBODY believes me when I tell them I have the stock pickups in it!

4. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Strat-Talker

My vote is for the Bullet, and I have a pair. 2nd choice is an Affinity. I like the thinner bodies and lighter overall weight. The Bullet is best since the neck is to standard Fender dimensions and head stock, whereas the Affinity and Standard have chicken head stocks (yuk) and the Affinity also has that narrow nut width. YMMV.

5. StratDen

StratDen Senior Stratmaster

Rob thanks for sharing that info. I just ordered one for my 10 year-old daughter as I metioned in another thread. I feel a bit better now having selected the Bullet for her...

6. StratDen

StratDen Senior Stratmaster

Here's the "pink" Squier Bullet Strat I ordered for my daughter today. She's been playing piano for over 4 years and recently wanted to take up guitar. It's seems the "color" was a big part of the decision for a 10 year-old girl :):

[​IMG]

In addition, I kind of built this order up like a package. I added these accessories for her as well:

G-Dec 15 watt amp, 10' guitar cable, guitar strap, medium picks (pink of course), Fender Deluxe Gig Bag, and guitar stand to start her off. She's quite excited about it al, and if she does half as good on the guitar as she has on piano, she'll be playing better than me in no time...;)

7. Wild_Rose

Wild_Rose Strat-Talk Member

oh God, I'm getting a Squier next week and I'm between Affinity & Bullet. I'll also check out the Standard but it's probably out of my budget. I only know how to play an acoustic, so the electric is all new to me! I tried a Bullet a couple of weeks ago and it fitted and sounded good to me! I won't change the pick ups any time soon, so.... Affinity or Bullet is the question? It will probably make no difference to me, since -like I said- I don't play the electric, but I want to make the right choice longterm!

8. ajgus

ajgus Strat-Talk Member

Have you gotten it yet? The reason I ask is that for a little more there are some really nice Squiers out there now. The Classic Vibe has gotten nothing but rave reviews. Also, The Vintage Modified is a great guitar & can be had for the same price as the CV, about $300.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  9. Wild_Rose

Wild_Rose Strat-Talk Member

I'm going tomorrow and check them out!

10. Bullet56

Bullet56 New Member!

My Bullet headstock. As you can see "Crafted in Indonesia" these have solid bodies (Agathis I Believe) not plywood. Serial No's begin with IC. Also note CE.

B56

Attached Files:

11. cdt194

cdt194 Strat-Talk Member

The biggest difference between the Affinity and Standard really isn't that much.
    The affinity has a 21 fret neck where's the standard has 22.
    The Affinity has a 41mm nut width Standard 42mm.
    The Affinity has an Alder body Standard Agathis.
    Affinity has a 6 screw tremolo standard comes with a 2 screw.
    Affinity has 1 ply pickguard Standard has a 3 ply.

Honestly their isn't enough difference for someone who's just starting out on the insterment. I'd get an Affinity and use the extra to have a setup done on it. Down the road when you get better and want to upgrade you could use the same guitar and just upgrade components; (pickups, machine heads ect.) and continue to use that same guitar. Squiers are great guitars. I have several Fender Strats Stock and 2 Squier strats with upgraded hardware. I'd put my Affinity Squier with S-1 harness and SCN Pickups against any american delux and I'd bet money you couldn't tell the difference. Likewise I'd put my Standard with CS69 PUPs against any 60s RI Fender Strat in a blind study and I'm sure you couldn't tell the difference.

12. Mark103061

Mark103061 New Member!

Affinity is good

I have to agree with the majority about the difference $50. makes. I also do my on setup which took a little while on the affinity. But once it is there, it is good, although I had to make the trem stationary just to keep it in tune. Could use some better tuners which I suspect is better on the standard. It is lighter, but might make the tone a little brighter also. I did opt out for humbuckers instead of SSS but that is a personal taste. So I spent a little more, and should have just got a standard.

13. kiwi

kiwi Strat-Talk Member

You folks are mainly talking about the Affinity of today, I have two Affinities from YN ’97 'Made in China' and CY ’98 'Crafted in China' both have full thickness 1.75” bodies, both have 22 frets, and both have nuts wider than 41mm. The pots are large 500k types, the caps are 0.047 uf, and the switches are a top quality unit with a die cast frame. The tuners are not at all good and every Standard I've seen beats them on that score.

14. stratluvr

stratluvr Strat-O-Master

I never new that a squire neck was thiner.. Dare i say I never realy played one..

15. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Senior Stratmaster

I would recommend the standard. No real reason other than I haven't found an Affinity I really liked yet. They feel cheaper to me. Thinner body does feel different when you're used to a heavier strat. I have a clone that noticeably outweighs my CV60s, which feels feathery compared to my clone. But as long as you get them setup properly, any of your choices would make a fine starter piece. And the lower end guitars are ripe for modding as you get better and desire more quality in the hardware.

We bought my nephew an 02 Bullet and the tuners were the weak link. Does not like to stay in tune very long.

Good luck and have fun deciding.
    Randy

16. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

STANDARD! The standard's body and neck measurements will be closer to a real Strat. The affinity has a thinner body and I personally don't like the neck.

The 50$ will be well worth it.

17. Dave67

Dave67 Strat-Talker

18. GilJanus

GilJanus Strat-Talk Member

19. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Senior Stratmaster

I read and listened to the SRV/bullet comparo. Very interesting. You really have to be tuned in to find the subtle differences. I don;t think most ppl would notice the differences. It definitely doesn't change my thinking to where I absolutely have to have an SRV. I would love to have one, but no real need for it at my level of playing. In fact, a Bullet would suffice for me. The one we bought for my nephew had a nice neck. Stock pups were a bit nastier sounding than I would like, but the bullet in that test had been modded and it sounded different. I wonder if a straight up, un modded comparo would yield such close results.

At any rate, like anything, get the nicest piece you can afford. And use it to the best of your abilities.

Randy