Aftermarket Neck Manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Violeiro, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Violeiro

Violeiro Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi all, I have a a Strat the I don't really bond with the soft V neck and am thinking that maybe instead of selling it, I could just get a new neck

In your opinion, what is the best quality neck aftermarket to get from?

Musikraf
    Warmoth
    USACG
    Guitarmill

Looking for best quality and no need for level fretting, dressing...plug and play if possible.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Censored Strat-Talk Supporter

Musikraft fits those criterias for me, I've never had problems with them

Violeiro likes this.
  3. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'll be interested in reading others' replies. Here are my two cents. When I needed a refret on a 17-year-old neck, I looked into replacement necks instead. I came across Warmoth and ordered one. I was highly impressed with the quality, and that sent me down a path of building guitars using (mostly) Warmoth bodies and necks. I've ordered 7 necks from them, 6 from their showcase and 1 custom, all have been fantastic. Between the quality, the options available, and the fact that I can see what I'm getting before ordering, I've not even considered trying a competitors' necks.

You'd definitely get plug and play, level frets and excellent attention to detail, but I'd still recommend polishing the frets. FWIW, I'd do this to any brand new guitar, too, as I've yet to come across one that's polished to the mirror shine you can get with a little effort.

Good luck with your search!

Violeiro and Miotch like this.
  4. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

I've had a really nice one from Warmoth and my current strat has a MightyMite you may want to consider them as well..

3bolt79 and Violeiro like this.
  5. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

My Warmoth neck, while the hated soft V, is the best I've ever played.

Violeiro likes this.
  6. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

A few others to consider:

Best Guitar Parts
    Sound Guitar Works
    Allparts

Violeiro likes this.
  7. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

I am a big musikraft fan, their profile V to C or 57 are great and thick. I may have bought 6 necks from them.

I level the frets when I get a new neck but with high action it might not be necessary...

Only advice is go for a biflex truss rod.

Violeiro and Ruscio like this.
  8. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have only played Warmoth and they make beautiful necks

Violeiro, Ruscio and Nick-O like this.
  9. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Bought a few Warmoth bodies and never been disappointed. Only necks I've bought not attached to a guitar were Fender and AllParts. Bought the Fender back in '91 through a guitar builder and got the AllParts on a smokin' deal I couldn't pass up. If I were to buy one today, I'd go with Warmoth.

I get every guitar or neck leveled and polished, including Fender, PRS and G&Ls. It just makes that much difference to me, no matter how good they were from the factory.

10. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

I have had 3 Warmoth and a couple of Allparts....I like the Warmoth the best and that is what I have used for past 3-4 years. More consistent I guess, plus stainless frets for extra $20...:)

11. Violeiro

Thanks guys.... I think I will give Musikraft a try to replace my Strat V shape with a C...I am getting another guitar in a few days which I am pretty sure I won't like the neck either - a Tele 50's AO with U shape neck...

12. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo

Just send me the V neck, that's my thing :whistling:

Violeiro likes this.
  13. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

My 2 main Strats have amazing USACG necks from when Tommy Rosamond was there, but word on the street is that it’s a different place now.

henderman and Violeiro like this.
  14. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-Talker

Scott Tucker at PST Guitars makes incredible necks. Handmade and very high quality.

Violeiro likes this.
  15. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Deeply SHY. Strat-Talk Supporter

@Violeiro

Hey; Have you considered also-Selling both the AO models, and getting a custom shop Fender thats also nitro ?

Not that Warmoth, Musikraft etc are bad .
    Just it might be worth considering all options for purchase of a really special guitar you love.

Violeiro likes this.
  16. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I've only used USACG and Warmoth. Each is outstanding out of the box.

stratmatt777 and Violeiro like this.
  17. Violeiro

Yes, absolutely... I am looking at a few custom shop models.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

18. Violeiro

The thing that is holding me back on a custom shop model is I don't know exactly what I want. I know the neck profile(s) I like - BUT, I am not sure if my 1st custom shop will be a Strat or a Tele, Maple or Rosewood. I like the new AO strat 50's, so I wanted to try with a different neck...but again, I never tried a custom shop...but before I get there I want to narrow down some of my preferences.

Thanks for the input guys!

19. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

If you don’t like the AO Strat due to the neck being too fat you will hate the AO 50’s Tele. I have one and the neck is the fattest I’ve ever played save an actual 57 LP Jr. that had a baseball bat for a neck.

20. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

I love my USA CG neck, however, USA CG no longer exists since MJT finishes acquired them in November and moved everything to Missouri.
    (Note that USA CG was started by Warmoth employees who thought they could do a better job of making '63 Strat clones).

I had a Warmoth neck in 2002, which was good/great, except that the 11/16" nut width is too wide for me and the Modern construction neck felt heavy to me in those moments when I was moving around and rocking out.
    This was possibly because the poplar body on my '97 MIM strat was so light... it may have been more of a balance thing than weight because the modern construction neck is only 6 ounces heavier.

I would go for a warmoth vintage modern neck and avoid the modern construction.
    Watch their youtube video of their fret shop where it shows how they measure and computer cut the nut. 100% accuracy.

They also have a video comparing the sound of the necks... the modern doesn't sound good (and reminded me of the neck I had in 2002).

The vintage modern will have the truss adjustment in the headstock, so it will still look like a Fender neck.