Join Strat-Talk Today

Aftermarket Neck Manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Violeiro, Jan 13, 2020.

1. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talk Member

They are a VERY different place now because USA CG was acquired by MJT finishes in November and they moved everything to Missouri.
    Over the last month someone from USA CG has posted several necks on Seattle craigslist, so I messaged the guy and asked if he was Tommy. No reply. Nothin'. Nada.
    So now that makes more sense.

2. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

That's very interesting, I didn't realize the modern construction weighed more. It looks like they can carve the neck and fingerboard to the same dimensions, so the only differences I can come up with are wood densities (which won't differ systematically between modern and vintage/modern, as you can get the same woods either way and all wood varies) or truss rod (which could differ). So I guess what I'm wondering is whether, all else being equal (e.g., woods), the modern construction will weigh more than the vintage/modern and if so, is that because of the truss rod? Thanks for any insights you can offer!

3. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

I didn’t know that. Cheers.

stratmatt777 likes this.
  4. CGHguitars

CGHguitars Strat-O-Master

FWIW...I have bought multiple bodies and necks from Warmoth. All were fantastic. Superb quality control. I’ve also bought two distressed Tele bodies from MJT. ALSO superb quality.
    just sayin....

5. stratmatt777

I didn't realize it either until I watched Warmoth's video where they compare the sound of each of their neck types and also weigh them.
    When the modern weighed more thank the others it all made sense (having owned one in 2002).
    The dual expanding truss rod weighs more. The video will show how much... 3 or 6 ounces or something...?

6. stratmatt777

Yeah, I'm sure they are all fantastic. I didn't mean to imply that MJT was a bad company that acquired USA CG, but it was nice having them 45 minutes away (not that I had bought anything from them in the last 3 years since they quit offering finishing).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.