Aging Pickup Covers and Knobs... (Coffee Trick)

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Noiseless Ed, May 24, 2020.

1. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Strat-Talker

Was that Starbucks French Roast or Folgers Instant Crystals?

Coffee only works IF you're willing to leave it in for a MONTH or TWO, some plastics never, and even then the change is minimal on most recent cover plastics. The chemical properties of PuP cover plastic was changed as far back as the later 70's TO NOT change color artificially.

You're more likely to get the "yellowing" by exposing the later plastics to Alpha Radiation ....... the SUN, but then you risk warping and melting.

Noiseless Ed and rafasounds like this.
  2. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

I'm about to try to give an aged look to this very white pickguard in my ST62. I'll give it some gentle scrubs wth steel wool first, then soak it in strong coffee, possibly add some coke, tea bags, whatever, and leave it for a few days. Hope it works.

Noiseless Ed likes this.
  3. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

After 4 days , I’m glad to announce that the plastics are whiter than they were before going into the coffee.

Steven1145 likes this.
  4. myredstrat

myredstrat Strat-O-Master

beer then? :)
    tried it with the output jack plate for my les paul didn't work with tea or coffee. maybe I'll try instant coffee. the original broke 50 years ago, and I replaced it with one of those little laminate kitchen countertop samples, it's still perfect.

Noiseless Ed likes this.
  5. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talker

It does look reminiscent of MIJ reissue now. Problem is it’s an 2 tone burst.

Buddy Guys 58 has the darker pickup covers on a white guard but that has the more correct 3 tone burst.

2 tone bursts for the most part don’t have aged plastics.

Noiseless Ed likes this.
  6. Noiseless Ed

Noiseless Ed Strat-Talk Member

How about this one '57 2 tone sunburst
    1957 Stratocaster 4.jpg

7. freddairy

freddairy Strat-Talker

that falls under the blanket statement I made saying “most of”.

8. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

I aged the pickup covers, switch and trem bar tip and knobs on my 02 American Series, years ago. I used several hours old cheap coffee (real rotgut stuff), only took about 20 minutes. I tried the pickguard too, but it just didn't work. I once got industrial degreaser containing Sodium Hydroxite on that pickguard. that stuff causes near instant chemical burns for most people. It didn't do anything to the pickguard. (but it did a GREAT job cleaning the pickguard)

I might try soaking the pickup covers that came with my Fralins, the box says "Aged White". No, they're more like super bright white. Because of that, I decided to re use the original covers that came with the guitar, since they're cream, and the knobs and all that are cream too, but the pole pieces just barely line up with the new pickups. Maybe I can get them close enough to the color of the knobs.

Noiseless Ed likes this.