Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

alainvey's understocked thread of harmless creations

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by alainvey, Sep 22, 2016.

1. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Hi all, just wanted somewhere to dump odd things of my own creation that I have become fond of.

dogletnoir likes this.
  2. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Here's a thing. Wanted to record the melody but got distracted and recorded three different takes which sound ok together. Makes me feel happy, warts and all.

"Wait, you posted this the other day!", I hear you cry? Yes, well, you can let that thread die and we'll just let it live here instead if that's ok:

3. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Here's another thing. This is some e minor thing I made about ten minutes ago, in probably less than ten minutes. I may or may not use it for some other purpose, but it sounds ok on its own. Just an improv 1-shot over a single chord.

I gave it a pretentious name based on a fairly specific philosophical concept. I did this mostly to sound cool and intimidating.

circles, Electgumbo, Noahclem and 7 others like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    This is more than just a thing - this is an excellent composition by @dogletnoir , which you have no doubt heard in two other threads already.

I can claim credit for about a minute's widdling from 2:30 or so. Thanks to dogletnoir for collaborating, I think it worked out great!

dogletnoir likes this.
  6. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    The pleasure was all mine. Sincere thanks to you for adding your wonderful solo bit!
    P.S. if i have any say at all, this place won't be understocked for long... ;)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    alainvey likes this.
  7. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Bring it on! If the amount of work I have to do is anything like the last tune then it will become very full very quickly :D

dogletnoir likes this.
  8. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Here's another thing. In the weekly jam the other day I posted a submission called "Half Mellow", the melody from which I became rather fond of. I was fiddling with Cubase and realised that some chord sequence I wrote many years back would work very well with the tune (the voicings are actually identical in some cases to the ones on the backing track I used).

Long story short, I turned it into a skeleton of an original tune. Chorus melody needs work, verse melodies are 1-shot improvs, middle 8 is reconstruction of a section from Half Mellow from memory (i.e. vaguely). Also messed up the 'solo', couldn't be bothered to fix. Placeholder track, asking a friend of mine to replace the sampled drums (which I got from @Twelve8, thanks very much!):

Noahclem, AxemanVR, Ebidis and 4 others like this.
  9. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Hello,

Great tones, phrases, use of clean & dirt & ideas coming through these tracks. Nice melodies too.

You need to get a bass to make the recordings sound complete however, as at the moment to me, they're great rough sketches, which is fine too, but the potential for completeness ( IMO ) still remains.

Thanks for sharing ! I'll catch-up when I can here, but for me, there's too much that goes on here @ ST to spend too much time within the one thread, when I'm committed to say-hello to others here too. All I mean by this, is that I'll listen to what I can, when I can, & not all the 20-tunes that may be placed here in a week, so I'll apologize now for not listening to everything in advance ! - But look forward to more.

Good stuff,

Rastus

alainvey likes this.
  10. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    That's ok man, I'm grateful you even stopped by :D Thanks for the comments.

I will be putting a bass on my list of things to buy, that's for sure.

11. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    LOL,

Please don't grab a bass or go broke grabbing one !!! It's just that your ideas seem to be going for a full band type sound ( generally ), & to my ears that's missing, but would lift the tunes to a much higher stage of fullness if it was there.

I've learned from my own recordings that even the sweetest most excellent sounding bass sounds, will get lost in the mix, so all you would need to find is something cheap, but stays in tune. New strings make a dramatic improvement in tuning & over-all balance of sound-output if you should find something S/H.

You honestly don't have to break the bank or budget on a bass guitar IMO, though if the budget allows, go for whatever.

And please don't grab one because I suggested it, grab one if you think it would work within your tunes !!!

Ciao,

Rastus

Hal Nico likes this.
  12. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Lol, don't worry - I have been planning on getting one for a while. I bought my THR10 because it has a bass setting, so it's part of my long-term plans. I will probably pick up a use yamaha of some description for peanuts.

dogletnoir likes this.
  13. Twelve8

Twelve8 Strat-O-Master

Dec 5, 2015
    Sheffield, UK
    Hey AV - nice drums! I've enjoyed these tracks.

If you want bass adding in the mean time... we've already got that workflow down ;-) I wont be able to do any flee-esque parts but if you're just after some root note padding for sonic fullness, hit me up.

Subbed.

dogletnoir and alainvey like this.
  14. mshivy

mshivy Senior Stratmaster

Nice mellow jazzy playing on the philosophical tune

Rastus, dogletnoir and alainvey like this.
  15. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Three responses:

1) No! No one else can touch my babies!

2) Mwahahahahahahahaha! You'll be sorry you offered! Get to work, bass slave :D

3) Thanks mate, I'd really appreciate that.

dogletnoir likes this.
  16. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Thanks man. I'll try and get something with some more 'technical' playing in it for the metallers out there :D

mshivy and dogletnoir like this.
  17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Guinness fueled old curmudgen Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Fortress Yorkshire
    Ah ha. Somewhere new to steal from visit ... :whistling:

18. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Ok, I've been messing around this evening. I found a free drum track that seemed ok, and I created this horror. Placeholder melody improv thing (pretty dodgy, doesn't sit that well in the mix either), very simple song, good clean fun. I did not spend much time thinking about the parts here. Wanted to try out double tracking, worked pretty well (especially once I panned the tracks...).

Edit: it goes on a bit actually...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    TheDuck and Rastus like this.
  19. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    I really have been messing around, so here's another thing I cooked up this evening. Another free drum track (these two tracks have had their structure almost entirely dictated by the drum track :D). I'm a huge fan of the phrygian mode and wanted to do something with it. I like the chord voicings I'm using here quite a lot as well.

The lead part is a one-take, turned out pretty good. I feel like everything I've learned from @fezz parka and @dogletnoir about melody, thematic development and restraint has finally started to have an effect. Thanks to both of you: you've both added a lot to my guitar playing (imho) :D

Edit: How remiss of me not to cite the cause of the @Mansonienne effect! Thanks to you as well :D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    dogletnoir likes this.
  20. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    Who, me? <blush>
    Great tune, alainvey! :)

alainvey likes this.
  21. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Ok, thanks to @dogletnoir the last track I posted now has a classy bass/baritone guitar part (and some much-needed low end), which really adds a lot to the whole. Thanks again for your sophisticated playing and generosity with your time :D

Edit: replaced with a new version from @dogletnoir with more pronounced bass part. Will get a higher quality version up later on.