Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

alainvey's understocked thread of harmless creations

Discussion in 'MyMusic Forum' started by alainvey, Sep 22, 2016.

1. alainvey

alainvey Senior Stratmaster

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    I'm glad the Death Ladies brought you some joy! Thanks for stopping by, ProSonic, much appreciated.

There is probably a good reason why most people don't normally listen to music like this ;)

2. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Well spotted! Dogleg is your new nickname, I hope you understand.

This was supposed to be a quick and easy tune, one to forget. I actually quite like it now that it's done :D Let's ignore the fact that the verse is more or less the same as the verses in every other tune we've done, and that the verse changes are subtle enough that I fail to play properly over my own creation in places ^_^

3. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Thanks, indeed maybe not everything ;), but I will try to make a selection.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    @dogletnoir Fancy doing a "best of" playlist? I'd actually be curious to know what your favourites are.

dogletnoir likes this.
  6. ProSonicLive

ProSonicLive Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2016
    Texas
    Which is exactly why I do listen to it. I cant learn and innovate if ALL I listen to it metal and blues....And dubsteb and nightcore and Djent and Norwegian death metal and....

7. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    In some ways this is what this is for me - I'm trying out things I'm not accustomed to.

Most of the tunes have some theoretical thing I'm working on or consider interesting. For this tune, the 'chorus' (the very first crazy section) is an example of me writing some nonsense melody and then trying to give it some life by harmonizing it with interesting chords. It was also trying to ape a common sort of fusion type thing, as well as the kind of mad harmonic movement of something like Giant Steps. The verse is relatively static, but it does change tonal centres three times through major thirds, which is totally copied from Giant Steps.

After writing this I realise it is not really a response to what you said, sorry!

I will happily listen to almost any kind of music, even if in some cases it's mostly an academic sort of listening rather than real enjoyment!

8. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Last seen sober in 1978 Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    England
    This crazyness gets more awesome by the week. Superb stuff from you both.

dogletnoir and alainvey like this.
  9. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Thanks mate, I appreciate it a lot :)

dogletnoir likes this.
  10. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Ok, here's something I cooked up last night. I was studying a little bit (a very little bit) of Allan Holdsworth's approach to chords the other day and although I don't have the spaceship hands to play his really good voicings I came up with a voicing that I liked. That is basically the starting point for this track.

I just slung the rest together with a single drum loop I thought was cool, and then sent it to @dogletnoir. I had hoped this one would give ol' dogleg a bit of freedom, because I've been doing quite a few tunes that don't have much breathing room lately.

(I think it was last night, but I've lost track of time)...

Just before I went to bed (very late!) I got the track back from doglet, and my evil plans had been successful - doglet had provided not only bass, but some excellent complementary guitar parts. Awesome, now we have a proper collaboration going :D I then added some lead of my own, fixed some errors in the mix, and this is the result:

Le Badaud:

Thanks @dogletnoir, it's very cool to be able to jam with someone that can read my mind like this :)

felis, mshivy, Mouse and 1 other person like this.
  11. dogletnoir

dogletnoir Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern usa
    The pleasure was all mine... great tune, and it was fun to play a bit looser on your stuff again.
    (both on DLoB and this one, especially with the fretless bass, that was such a joy for me)!
    i think my first listen to the track was at 6:25 pm my time on Saturday evening,
    and i had the sketch version of my parts (which turned out to be the keepers) to you by 8:18 pm!

i suppose i'll be on a rather short leash for the upcoming 'Summer', though... :p

oh, and i will start thinking about a 'best of' playlist asap.
    That's going to be difficult, though... i love them all!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Mouse and alainvey like this.
  12. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    I don't know, I came up with some pretty dodgy music at times :D LGYOOTWC was a bit iffy, no?

Yes, Summer will be long and painful! You can do it though :)

13. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    Very nice! Despite two guitars going, there's still a sense of space. You two are like peas and carrots and work so well off each other with good point/counter-point lines. I really like those ascending sequences around 3:20.

It also seems the nickname I inadvertently gave @dogletnoir is sticking. :D

alainvey likes this.
  14. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Thanks Mouse!

Doglet is pretty great, I have to say. I suspect that doglet does not enjoy the new nickname quite as much as everyone else, so I will try to ration its use.

Ah, the sequences at 3:20! Sounds very complicated, but the idea behind it is simple. It's the most bog standard minor pentatonic shape in the world, but I am enclosing each note. So I play the semitones above then below the target note, and ascend up the scale. I forget what the tonic was here, but I start on the 5th on the A string and end up on the m7 on the B string. I was jamming along to the tune and that just sounded cool over that section :)

dogletnoir, mshivy and Mouse like this.
  15. mshivy

mshivy Senior Stratmaster

So you do the Holdsworth trick of spreading out the dissonance so it's more pleasing ? Aha got you!
    Very good playing, you're atypical but still enjoyable
    I meAn in a good way
    More is always welcome

dogletnoir and alainvey like this.
  16. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Thanks Matt!

Interesting you should mention Mr. Holdsworth, actually. The enclosure thing was something borrowed from elsewhere, but I suppose it does embody that principle.

The project is actually called "Allan Holdsworth Type Thing" on my computer, and it's because the chords in the second section were inspired by his unusual "grab a four note shape and harmonize it up the neck" approach. I can't do his crazy voicings, but I can still apply the principle.

Thrup'ny Bit and dogletnoir like this.
  17. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    I thought I would post the recent cluster of @dogletnoir tunes on which I played a guest solo:

Great work on these tunes, doglet! I'm a "triphop" convert now ^_^

I have about 4 tunes almost done, just waiting on bass for some :whistling:

dogletnoir and felis like this.
  18. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    It's been pretty slow here! I think there are about four tracks nearing completion, we've both just been quite busy lately.

Here is one:

Sunset Cathexis

Some hot fusiony improv playing on my strat, warts and all. Great bass from @dogletnoir as always! I used drum loops for this - I am planning on doing about 50/50 loops and programmed drums so I can keep production levels up :)

I am pleased with how this one turned out.

Thanks in advance for listening!

mshivy, Mouse and dogletnoir like this.
  19. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Turns out another one is finished as well!

This is part 4 in the Seasons suite, Summer:

The track shares the same basic drum track and has certain musical affinities with Autumn, Winter, and Spring.

Congrats to @dogletnoir on finishing this collection! I love them all :)

I will post up the set of 4 in the collaborations thread a bit later.

Thanks again to dogleg for the bass, and for obeying my strict instructions :D

A very special mention to @simoncroft for his continued generosity and advice - thanks so much for helping me with my mixes, listening to various egregious "skronks", and noticing excessive uses of reverb :D

JParry335, Hal Nico, CigBurn and 3 others like this.
  20. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    Hot damn! There's a ton of stuff to get through in here. I listened to Sunset Cathexis and Summer. Great fusiony goodness with two very different feels. Summer in particular was very nice on a pre nor-easter Sunday. Beautiful playing by both you and @dogletnoir. I'll try to catch up with the quintet posted above these during the week.

alainvey likes this.
  21. alainvey

Jan 31, 2015
    London, UK
    Thanks, Mouse! I'm quite fond of these last two - Summer in particular I spent a lot more time than usual working on :D

I'm afraid there's even more on the horizon. I'm almost done on another track, then there are two others in production plus another I'm coming up with now ^_^

Thanks as always for taking the time to listen to my stuff!