Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Alfa Romeo Oh My

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Lonn, Mar 19, 2017.

1. nungesser

nungesser Lightning coming out of the speakers Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    a '69 spider drove past me the other day, a rare sight in this country
    I was just looking at a catalogue of the new models yesterday Lonn and the one you pictured caught my eyes as well
    My step day had a few different alfa's over the years including the 69' spider, there was a local Alfa mechanic named Wayne who was over at the house tinkering on which ever model my step dad had at the time, we knew Wayne well as he spent hours at the house working on the cars and often stayed for dinner, they were temperamental machines to say the least and so was poor Wayne

Neil.C, jimyjazz and felis like this.

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    The Germans are behind their game in cars these days too; VW especially are almost universally below average on measures of reliability.

gwjensen likes this.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Yeah, it's like the children in a bad divorce. Two weeks with you, two weeks with the mechanic. Two weeks with you, two weeks with the mechanic...
    I got rid of my built-up Chevy and got a bone-stick Toyota for that reason.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    I've been trying to get used to the beak on the new line of Alfas and it's just not doing it for me.

I saw one in person yesterday, a Q4 variant. It was fast though.

6. Lonn

Lonn Administrator Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    "The Germans are behind their game in cars these days too; VW especially are almost universally below average on measures of reliability."

VW has never been a paragon of reliability.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    No, they haven't, but other makes such as BMW aren't particularly reliable either compared to others.

gwjensen likes this.

8. felis

felis Senior Stratmaster

Nov 27, 2013
    Antwerp/Belgium
    Even though we 'used' to say "you have to be a mechanic to drive an Italian car" :whistling:, I always loved their designs. :thumb:

Robins likes this.

9. tery

tery Senior Stratmaster

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    James Bond would drive one :cool:
    . . . that's enough of an endorsement for me .

10. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't know... four door Alfa... In my mind, Alfa = Spyder.

11. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    I'm glad you get it. Many still believe the marketing BS, but the stats show the BMW/Audi/VW/Mercedes to be down at the lower end of the league. Only Japan can still (mostly) hold their heads up on that score.

As for Alfas, I had a Brera for a while that I got for a song, it was pretty but not so easy to live with. It didn't ever let me down though pieces of interior did break off.

12. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I still see a fair number of 80s to mid 90s Volkswagens on the road, although I've heard of people complaining about them too. I know someone who had an (older) VW that lasted about 18 years before he bought a new car, and the VW still had its original clutch. I drive a VW myself, which I bought new a bit over 8 years ago and I haven't had any serious issues with it yet.. I guess everyone has their own experience. One thing I did hear, though, was that the New Beetle which was being manufactured in Mexico had a lot of quality problems - I heard the issue was that they were not checking/inspecting the cars before delivering them to their destination. I heard the plant manager in Mexico was fired for that, and many of the Volkswagens being sold in the US at the time (2006) were being assembled in Germany again.

Recently I heard the VW Golf is one of the best-selling cars worldwide:
    http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2016/01/top-10-best-selling-cars-in-the-world-for-2015.html

Aside from that, I suppose if many people have complained about issues with VW, then there may be some truth to that. The recent VW diesel scandal for sure doesn't really say good things about VW..

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Yeah, they've all been declining steadily over the last couple decades.

14. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 6, 2012
    Telephone Road
    You know what ALFA stands for, right? Fix It Again Tony!

I was an Italian tragic growing up. My dad and brother both had Bertone coupes (a 1300 and a 1750) and I had a Fiat 128 SP, a very pretty coupe based on the boxy 128 sedan. Later I had a Fiat 500 Giardiniera, a wagon version of the Bambino with a fabric roof that rolled all the way back. That thing used to put a smile on people's faces.
    And yeah they were all badly built, prone to rust and totally unsuited to Australian summers.

Another brother has a more modern Alfa, 3-4 year old thing that is just beautiful. He's had no reliability issues.

15. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I thought that's what FIAT stood for. Failed Italian Attempt at Transportation is also acceptable.

stratocarlster likes this.

16. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    I have owned 2 Bimmers over the years. One of them was an M-3. Reliability and build quality was sub-par, to say the least.

17. Bladesg

Bladesg Senior Stratmaster

Oct 31, 2013
    Australia
    I used to drive old alfas years ago and I love them. Nothing I've driven (factory standard) is comparable. They want to be revved hard, they want to be thrown around corners at speeds they should be under steering of off the road at .. great fun! Spirited little beasts.

Would love to test the modern alfas to see if they still have that special spirit.

18. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    SU Carbs on a XK150.

HD6's IIRC.

19. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    Alfa's have a shocking name for reliability over here.

Years ago I owned a carburetter and tuning company and the Alfa's we saw with warped cylinder heads...

Generally good looking and driving cars when they are running with very nasty cheap interiors.

gwjensen, felis and Robins like this.

20. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Cheaper to keep er...

Stormy Monday likes this.

21. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    There are many variations on this theme. Fix It Again Tomorrow is the one I've heard for FIAT. Ford have "Fix Or Repair Daily" version.

It's all pub talk, new cars are generally reliable regardless of marque, and compared to 20+ years ago they are light years ahead. But cars that are still running with few major problems after 12-15 years tend to be Japanese.

Anyone getting a new Alfa today and running it for 3 years on a personal lease probably won't have much to worry about. Whoever buys that same car in 2030 (if combustion engines are still legal in 2030) will need to be an enthusiast who likes getting their hands dirty, or have a fat wallet.

felis and stratocarlster like this.