Algorithms taking over...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by lammie200, Oct 13, 2021.

1. lammie200

lammie200 Senior Stratmaster

My latest rant.

After 22 years of use and over 700 positive feedbacks as both a buyer and a seller EBay has terminated my account or, as they say, “indefinitely suspended” it. While their website says that an inquiry would give reasons for suspensions I have tried twice to get reasons without success. According to the help it is against EBay policy to disclose reasons for security purposes.

Everything was normal until I received a request through the EBay website that I needed to provide a copy of my ID and a copy of my bank statement with the account and routing numbers that I had already provided to them for their switch in payment operations. I provided the items as asked and through the means that they required. My EBay account was suspended shortly thereafter. BTW, if they bothered to check my credit score is near perfect and has been for many years.

During my conversations the help (one time I was transferred to four different people) would repeatedly say that there was nothing they could do because “the system” wouldn’t let them do anything. All I can figure is that some algorithm took hold and has identified me as a risk to EBay in error. What a crock!

One ironic thing is that EBay is now more of a security risk to me than I am to them. They have some of my personal and financial information. All I could get from their end is “I understand, but I can’t help and I assure you that your information is safe.” I also asked for an official notice that my account had been terminated and all I got was “The transcript of this help chat is your official notification.”

fos1, Exhead and joe_cpwe like this.
  2. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Silver Member

3. pn8830

pn8830 Strat-Talker

That is sad. Recently I read this https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...o-machine-managers-and-workers-are-losing-out which is related, in my opinion to your experience. Businesses want volumes, they streamline their operations so people with little or no experience can push the limited amount of buttons, and that would work for 90% of their customers. And if you manage to get into the other 10% you are screwed.

lammie200 likes this.
  4. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Unfortunate and infuriating. At the same time, I encounter such problems routinely and it's not due to algorithms.

thomquietwolf likes this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Didn't you rant about this last week?

6. lammie200

Yep. With less explanation.

7. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

That's an unfortunate situation, but I seriously doubt that "the system" is the root of your issue here...

I've been in IT for 31 years now and I've seen to often users blaming the system, when in fact they just didn't how to use it. It's way to easy to blame computers for mistake than admitting our own. I often say that computer will do exactly what the user instruct it to do and is only the mirror of the user's incompetence.

Not saying that is your case, but I would assume that the answer you got from support is more related to privileges than "the system". As a L1 support, this kind of tasks (reactivating accounts that were disabled) often needs to be elevated to a more experience support level.

I've never dealt wit ebay, but I would think what you describe is a Financial department issue, so if you can find your way to talk to someone in finance, they should be able to drill the issue down for remediation.

33db likes this.
  8. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

That's bs.

But . . . as far as bogeymen go . . . algorithms is about as good as it gets

9. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

Until we have machine building machine, all algorithms are the results of human who wrote them and the people who decided to implement them regardless of their efficiency. At the end, all blames goes to a human... for now !

CB91710 and lammie200 like this.
  10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

You can reduce the risk by closing any accounts you told them about and opening new ones.

CB91710, lammie200 and Ebidis like this.
  11. lammie200

What's it due to?

12. soulman969

soulman969 Most Honored Senior Member

I don't get why they can't provide a legitimate explanation for the termination. There has to be a reason so why is it being kept a secret. If they sanction someone they know why they did it.

lammie200 likes this.
  13. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Humans creating organizations and departments and work groups that have defined work that leaves some tasks undone. So you can bounce between departments and helpful people working hard will patiently explain that the issue is not part of their groups function.

Sometimes it's me telling people I can't help and it's literal truth.

lammie200 likes this.
  14. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

Out of curiosity I googled reasons for suspended accounts.

One thing that stood out was a small section about hacked accounts.

Its possible you were hacked and the hacker made you look like the hacker.

Recently my fb account was locked and I was unable to recover it. My only guess is that the hacker changed security contact info to themselves, so that they would be notified when I attempted to access the account.

Just a guess but, its all I could come up with. There are no actual real people at FB so, once I had repeatedly followed instructions to recover account, I gave up and opened another.

lammie200 likes this.
  15. tanta07

tanta07 Senior Stratmaster

I haven't been able to successfully log in to my Ebay account for probably more than a decade now. I never got to the bottom of it; there's many other options for selling and buying my stuff.

lammie200 likes this.
  16. lammie200

Believe me I tried to get an explanation. All they said that is that was against their policy to provide one and that I placed them at risk.

Yeah, but at least one person said that they would like to help me except that the system wouldn't allow for it. Meaning that if she could have gotten into the system to help remedy the problem she would have at least tried. I get it that people have made the decisions about how to design and use algorithms. But what do they do after they let the algorithms run? Sit on their butts and watch the money come in regardless of who gets thrown out of the way. At that point the algorithm is in charge.

I specifically asked them if my account was hacked. They said that it was against EBay policy to discuss whether it was or not.

17. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

Pretty soon you won't exist anymore

lammie200 likes this.
  18. lammie200

We have the internet. I will always exist. Just not the way I would like to both in the here and now and once I croak.

19. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

I agree with this, having done tech support (and having to listen to calls while boss was on vaca) people will often blame the system or some bug to get out of the call, simply because they don't know what to do, or they can't do anything and they are timed as well, so they have motivation to get off the call.
    There should be an escalation path if you're so inclined, it's a shame to see a good rep get trashed like that.

20. Eric_G

Eric_G Strat-O-Master

See, when I read your OP, that's the first thing that came to mind. However, if you are still able to log in your account, then that's probably not the case. Again, I'm not familiar with eBay, but when you said you received an eBay message, was that an email or a message through your eBay account (the same way we send private message in ST sort of thing...)

Not enough info to conclude here but were you victim of a phishing attack and provided your info to the attacker ?

Was your account actually hacked and used for fraud which now puts eBay at risk (as they say...) ?

Is your account currently the source of a fraud investigation which could explain why they are not providing any information ?

I found this link when trying to understand what is the process to unblocked an account... this may or may not help you...

What to Do When eBay Suspends Your Account (thebalancesmb.com)