Join Strat-Talk Today

All about Tone!

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by JVjunky, Apr 13, 2019.

1. JVjunky

JVjunky Strat-Talk Member

A couple of questions for any of the techies on the forum!

1. What is the best way to improve the tonal range on my Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster?

And what I really mean is a nice smooth transition from treble to bass when I turn the tone knobs.

2. And, will changing the pots and caps be better than changing the pickups?

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

the answer is PICKUP HEIGHT. If the tone controls work.....then changing them won't do much.....also you can wire a jumper so the bridge pickup is connected to a tone control....that gives you a lot more options sound-wise.....

3. Chubbles

Chubbles Strat-Talker

Smooth transition: Audio vs Linear taper. I often use custom taper (in between).

4. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-O-Master

I would absolutely go with changing the pots and caps before buying pickups.

My experience...

I have a LP Jr Tribute and the P90 was way to bright for my taste. I went to GC for suggestions on how to decrease the iciness and they suggested a new pickup. I replaced the P90 with a SD Seth Lover PAF humbucker and that did the job. However, I learned how to do my own soldering after that and decided to install the p90 again... just for kicks. By doing so I realized that all I initially had to do was replace the 500k tone pot and install a capacitor with a different value to the P90 and that would've resolved my brightness issue.

I don't regret having the humbucker but I could've saved $150 if I had the right information from the start.

BTW - pickup height would be the first place to start as Guitarmageddon suggested.

5. fezz parka

fezz parka Making a record.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Plug it into a great amp.
    Don't pick in one spot. Anchoring is for boats.
    As Ryan said, find optimum pickup heights that suit your ears.
    Practice.

Not really. That guitar has decent pickups/electronics. Here's an important tip. The volume control also effects the tone. There's a big difference between 6 and full CW. Same goes for the tone pots. There's a big difference between 6 and full CCW. The change is abrupt once the cap starts tuning the resonance. The larger the value of the cap, the more abrupt it is. A linear taper pot can seem to smooth the bump out ...so can lowering the caps value to let's say .015 or even smaller.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  6. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The amp will have a huge impact on your tone. Going through a pedal will also have a huge impact depending on what you want. A little bit of reverb or slapback delay will work wonders for a sterile sounding amp.

Thrup'ny Bit and johnnymg like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.