All in favor of mowing the yard...

circles

Resident Pinball Enthusiast
May 26, 2013
West Seattle
I re-landscaped, replaced all grass (except for a small patch for the kitties) with shrubs, trees, wood chips, vines and flowers. Next spring I'm adding rocks and boulders.

It takes me 5 minutes to cord cut my 'lawn'. When I moved in, at least an hour and a half, the back yard is sloped with potholes, had a tacky chain link fence etc. Much better now!

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
I really should do other stuff with parts of my lawn but that's yet another field, no pun intended, that I don't know much about. I need a hardy groundcover that doesn't mind a lot of shade, but also will not take over everything. That would help a lot but I have not really found anything that would have those qualities.

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
I have 1.6 acres in Tennessee to keep mowed. It seems like I have to cut it every time it rains. It takes about 45 minutes with a riding mower, which is not bad. But it does have to be done during the hot part of the day. Before I got the riding mower it took up 4-5 hours per week, and really hated it.

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
I was supposed to mow this week. Too bad that didn't happen. Every morning, I'd wake up to soaking wet grass from rain the night before and it would be too hot to mow by the time it all dried up. So I'd wait until the evening. Nope. It's still 98* at 8pm. No thanks. If I wanted to mow in 100* heat, I'd have mowed at noon.

So I'm still waiting. And it's getting longer and longer lol. I even have a self-propelled mower but I don't mow wet grass so...

Last edited:

Nubs

Strat-O-Master
Aug 29, 2015
Eastern Shore, MD
Mowing the lawn is one of the activities around the house I actually enjoy doing. It gets me outdoors and accomplishes something. Now if I could figure out how to mow in a straight line...

Swingbass

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 21, 2011
Nature Coast Florida
I did my own when living in MA and NH on 2 acres with my John Deere with 52 inch mowing deck. Lawn care is simple there; Fertilize a few times, put down grub killer and lime, mow. Rake leaves in fall, enjoy break time while snow covered. Here in FL on a 1/4 acre lot the entire yard is a chemistry set best left to people that understand it better than I can. For mowing we have a company that mows every week, trims my hedges and weeds my gardens. I just enjoy it.