All-roasted strat build

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Olly White, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Olly White

Olly White Strat-Talker Silver Member

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

I've been enjoying playing this guitar for a few days now. Had to flatten out the crazy relief the day after stringing up and there is a slightly raised fret at 5 and on the treble side of 17 but the action is really comfy as is and should improve again with a fret level. The fretboard radius is 7.25 - 9.5. Here's some more pics (the lack of fine finishing really shows up :thumbd:):

IMG_102262445BA1-1.jpg
    The neck is 25mm thick all the way. I've been using aluminium knitting needles as side markers, these are 3mm. I cut the fret tangs back - what's visible is just some maple dust sanded into the slots. Been running thin CA glue into the slots after fretting until they are chokkers but find the thin stuff tends to run onto the fretboard a bit too much - for these frets I ran thicker CA along the slot before pressing in the fret. The sharp edges of the fretboard were 'rounded' (scraped) with a box cutter blade.

The ash is quite speccy. I really want to do a burst finish - never done one before - but the edges are kind of bewitching and it will be a shame to cover them up.......these are for you, Dreamdancer:

_DSC7258.jpg

_DSC7256.jpg

_DSC7248.jpg

_DSC7253.jpg

_DSC7252.jpg

_DSC7250.jpg

The ding in the upper horn is courtesy of Ebay's Global Shipping Program, a fiasco of the highest order. The blank arrived in a thin box with 3 dents in the cardboard transposed to the wood. :mad:

Anyway, more than happy with how this build turned out, always feel under pressure to do justice to such beautiful wood. Still plenty of finishing and fine tuning to go but so far so good.

Thanks again for the kind comments.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    lammie200, Nick-O, Robins and 3 others like this.
  2. jazzman1021

jazzman1021 Strat-Talker

Very nice. I'm a believer in roasted maple necks. Most stable neck wood I've ever owned in 62 years of guitar playing. Guitar is beautiful.

3. pcampbell

pcampbell Strat-Talker

What a beauty! Very impressive!

4. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Senior Stratmaster

Congrats, that is one fine looking Strat.

5. tygr1

tygr1 Strat-Talker

Absolutely fantastic work!

6. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster

Wow, I like toast.
    Great job!

Life is good,
    Robin

7. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Very nice!!

8. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

How long did that take you?

How awesome would it be to be able to just make your own Strat whenever you felt like it?

9. Chilidawg

Chilidawg Strat-Talk Member

Beautiful grain structure. Seems a shame to hide it under a burst

10. Olly White

Thanks for all the comments.

As for how long it took, EC, the blank arrived on a Friday and the 'completed' pic above was the following Wednesday. The neck had been going for a week. I have plenty of time on my hands, which is :thumb: and :thumbd:.

There's still a lot of tweaking going on so it really is far from finished. The body is pretty good, just needs a final sanding (smoothing some spots on the round over, etc) before spraying. I agree with you, Chillidawg, about a burst blanketing the lovely wood grain. I was thinking of this kind of finish: seen today in a local music shop:

AA.jpg

11. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

Please....if you have to spray a guitar....build another one man, this one is amazing as it is. Really...it would be a high crime to do anything further to it....or sell it to me and start over!!! :)

12. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

Since its all roasted you can legit leave it unfinished and not really worry about it...the finish you want looks cool but very generic compared to the raw roasted awesomeness of that guitar.Apply some wax on it from time to time and you got yourself one of the best looking strats out there hands down....its like someone for example building an all wenge strat and then thinking about finishing it....Resist the urge....:D.

I would maybe use superglue or epoxy to fill the grain and not change the colour that much but even that seem unnecessary for this one.

13. Olly White

Haha, can I at least spray some clear?

The guitar below is the hero burst I originally wanted to emulate but the roasted blank has its own unique character....

USA-1954-Fender-Stratocaster-Body.jpg

...best left to its own devices, according to popular opinion, to which I have to agree. So much so I found another blank, unroasted and with similar (but not quite as fine) grain as the above gorgeous example to indulge the burst fetish.

It is a new found fetish. Tobacco burst was always my least favourite finish but it's the only one I haven't tried so it's becoming a bit of an obsession. Still have a couple of roasted neck blanks, thick enough for one-piece which is something else I haven't tried, so maybe an all-out '54 style build?

14. Opj77

Opj77 Strat-O-Master

One of the prettiest Strats I’ve ever seen, OP. Great job. I prefer gloss lacquer but that’s a personal preference.

15. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Wow, great job.

16. scooteraz

scooteraz Senior Stratmaster

Very nice looking. How does she play?

17. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

Looks sweet

18. Nick L Plate

Nick L Plate Strat-Talk Member

I think you can easily do a burst that allows the wood to show through. Look at all the classic LP bursts! Nobody says those would be even better left unfinished. You've used that spectacular wood beautifully. The be objective, I'd say that the fret ends look slightly uneven. You mention a high fret or two. I'd let the whole thing settle in for a month or two at least and then clean that stuff up. It's hard to wait, but I find that even with older instruments, work sometimes requires giving wood a chance to settle, abnd major work always does. Wonderful guitar. You just canb't beat doing justice to great wood. Well done, sir!

19. Olly White

Thanks!

The frets were levelled under tension with a Katana leveller :thumb: - the obvious high spots went and it played nicely except for some buzz around 5-7 on the low E, A & D so a few days later I Katana-ed a bit more through here....

AA.jpg

...which really helped. Been adjusting the saddles up and down trying to zero in the action, and the way it feels best to me is a more 7.25 saddle radius (it's 7.25 - 9.5 fretboard) which feels right further up the neck than a 9.5 does going down the neck. I try and get the action as low as possible while still playing clear with some restraint, and then adjust the saddles to the radius that just feels right - which is always higher, particularly through the middle strings D & G - and surprisingly when the radius is right the action feels low anyway. [insert: chin-stroking emoji]

Also sorting the fret ends by adjusting the initial bevelling on the run with a diamond whetstone, and rolling (scraping) the fretboard edges, which will all be finished properly when the neck comes off for the crown and polish. That will have to be later as I'm enjoying butchering various tunes on it too much at the moment. The neck is feeling really comfortable.