Almost made a big mistake

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Axis29, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

So, I've got a couple of Strats. They're very different creatures. I do love them both, but I was having doubts (I know, but don't hate me just yet!).

I bought a CP50's Strat (shoreline gold) and loved it. Then sold a vintage Gibson and had some cash. I wanted a nitro, 3 tone Sunburst with a rosewood board and just at the same time Fender came out with the Roadworn. I bought a RW60's (it reminds me of my very first strat).

One is pure 50's twangy, clean, goodness. 57/62 pickups sound luscious through my Deluxe reverb with some reverb and a bit of slapback! It is very Buddy Holly, very early 70's Clapton.

One is pure 60's creamy rock goodness. These RW Tex-Mex pickups are awesome, very rock n roll! They get that Hendrixy, SRV, Bluesy gritty sound in spades.

They compliment each other nicely. But in all honesty I don't play the CP50's as much any more. Then I put some heavier strings on it, to test and didn't really like them... so I played it less. Had a buddy come over a couple of weeks ago and he loved it. absolutely loved it. He couldn't stop raving about it.

Here's the dirty part: I put some money down on a Les Paul a few months back. I'm one payment from bringing her home.

See where this might be going?

Yea, I started thinking about selling the Classic Player. I would pick it up and start thinking about it. I love the neck on this thing, but the big piano wires i had put on made it unpleasant to play. So, I'd put it back down. Finally the other day I got off my duff and put on a set of my regular strings (DR Pure Blues 10's) and fell right back in love with that Classic Player.

Boy, that was a close one. the LP will just have to wait till next paycheck, that's all there is to it. I can't give up on my Classic player. She's a wonderful guitar! What the HECK was I thinking? :D

So, now I've been plucking away on her for a couple of days with fresh strings and a big stupid grin on my face. She ain't goin' anywhere.

2. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Mod Admin

more guitars= more love

3. rudarb

rudarb Strat-Talker

The more guitars the better, you'l kick yourself after selling a nice guitar like that. Its always nice to have some variety. I think every guitar player should at least have an LP and a strat of some kind. The cool thing about the stratocaster is that its very versitle and customizable so you virtually do anything with them.

4. Goodkat

Goodkat The One

What strings exactly did you use?

As for your not selling the CP Strat ... I'm really glad you decided to keep it.

5. Donovan

Donovan Strat-Talker

Yep, that would have been a big mistake... close call.

What is it about the DR Pure Blues strings that you like or notice a difference form other strings? I've been playing DR (red) coated .010's that I got as a birthday gift and I like them more than the Elixirs I normally use, but can't pin down why.

6. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat

Close call? I am not sure that something like this warrants that label.
    If you were planning on selling a vintage instrument to fund something else, then maybe. However, Fender seems to be comming out with a new strat style guitar every six months.

7. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

I think they were .12's. They were either DR's or Ernie Balls.

I like the sparkle and spank of the high notes and piano like tones of the bass notes. I find when I play chords, each note has a nice definition within the chord. They last a good long time as well. They sound good on my Strats and my Gretsch. I can't wait to hear what they sound like on my LP as well.

I tried some Ernie Ball Slinkies a little bit ago and changed them within two weeks (I'm not playing out these days so strings last me a little bit).

I used to use Dean Markley Blue Steels and they were okay. They sounded nice and lasted a long time... but the DR's are just a tad bit 'more'

I've been thinking about trying some Ernie Ball Pure Nickel strings for comparison.

And regarding this particular Classic Player... I tried a bunch of them. I ended up getting this one on clearance (it had been at GC for a few years, but wasn't all beat up, rode hard and put away wet). I think it had been sitting in the back or on one of the higher racks. Plus it's shoreline gold, young guys just don't seem to be into it much. I had been thinking two tone sunburst originally, myself. But it was the best example of all the ones I tried.

8. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

Oh and I almost forgot... regarding string size... I had an old Affinity Squier a few years ago that loved big fat 12's on it. It played like a dream with them and against those cruddy ceramic pickups it got tone for days. I guess i had spent more time setting it up for those 12's. But bending on it was much easier than on this CP50's with the 12's.

So, really, nothing against 12's I liked 'em on that guitar, but this one prefers 10's. Waddya gonna do?

9. Goodkat

Goodkat The One

Yup ... same here.

Yup ... same here.

I had a feeling you were trying to use a set of 12 gauge strings. I tried a set of Ernie Balls (12-54) on my CP Strat but it just didn't feel right. :neutral: Don't get me wrong, it was fine as long as I stayed away from those big bends I really like (things like that two whole-step bend in the 'Another brick in the wall' solo).

10. CandyAppleHead

CandyAppleHead Strat-O-Master

It's easy to go through phases with particular guitars - for a while they can do no wrong and you can't imagine ever parting with them, and then you get into something different, maybe a different type of music or player's style, and suddenly you're out of love for that instrument. It changes so frequently that you have to be really sure you want to let one go before you actually go through with it; otherwise you'll regret it. Sometimes its something as simple as a new set of strings or even a tweak of the EQ on your amp, and bang! you wonder why you ever even thought of selling it. Or maybe that's just my excuse for hoarding guitars!

11. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

you almost sold a guitar because you were unhappy with the strings on it?

I'm shocked!

Glad you came to your senses.

12. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

:?:

That's what I'm saying! LOL

It seems a little short sighted when you boil it down to that... :oops:

13. Axis29

Axis29 Strat-O-Master

Yes, it's funny how that works! I can be driven one direciton so much just by what I'm listening to on my iPod that week.... let alone what songs I'm trying to learn!

Fickle? Not me!

Usually I'm not quite so rash. sadly I stared at my CP50 for a couple of weeks thinking about it. I hadn't played it in a while and I had forgotten it was something as simple as changing strings. Shame on me!

oh and by the way, there's no such thing as hoarding when it come to guitars. It's called investing for the future.