Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Already getting into my next build - Valvecaster tube OD

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by Mr. Lumbergh, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I've been making plans for this build for quite a while now, and even enlisted the help of my dad to put the enclosure together, but I got busy, then got laid off, and never got around to starting it. I came across the enclosure a couple weeks ago looking for something else, and dug out the tackle box I have full of components for my DIY projects. The tubes/sockets, caps, and resistors are all still in there. Time to get started.
    I did something smart before heading out of Cali on my way home for the holidays, and packed the enclosure he had made. He has a drill press and a wider variety of bits, so I could get the hole sizes I needed given the odd mix of components. So, I took some time out in the shop between this morning's gift exchange and when my sis and brother-in-law will be getting here for dinner, and got the holes drilled for the enclosure:
    IMG_0002.JPG
    It doesn't look like much now, but when finished it'll (hopefully) be a 2-channel tube overdrive/distortion pedal. The row of three holes in front will be master on/off, with separate on/off for each channel so that they can be used independently or stacked for extra toobey goodness. Each channel will have volume/tone/gain, and a switch to change the tone caps for different tone characteristics. Up in the top are the cutouts for the tube sockets, and holes to mount the protective guards.
    I'll start on the insides once I get back to Cali and keep you posted on progress. As I look at this, I'm realizing my previous idea for graphics and a name for this thing won't really work, so if you have any ideas please throw them out.
    Hope everyone had a great Chistmas.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016

2. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    "Lumbergh's Tube Tone Monster"

abnormaltoy and Newstratbuilder like this.

3. Newstratbuilder

Newstratbuilder Strat-Talker

Oct 30, 2016
    far east texas
    That is cool I would like to try a pedal build sometime.

abnormaltoy likes this.

4. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

Jan 30, 2016
    Fulton MO
    This should be a very cool pedal when you complete it. When I saw the picture I immediately thought of the old Mesa V-Twin pedal from the 90s!

abnormaltoy and Mr. Lumbergh like this.

5. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Well I learned the hard way that I didn't have all the parts I needed; I forgot that I put a pair of the 100K pots I need to use on the Klone, but while I'm waiting for those to get here, I went ahead and did a test fit of everything. The two pots to the extreme right and left are tight, and I'll likely need to sand just a little off the wooden sides of the enclosure before putting on the shielding tape, but it all fits:
    IMG_0001.JPG
    Since I need to order additional components anyhow, I went ahead and ordered some orange LEDs instead of the blue I have; I'm planning on mounting them in the bottoms of the tube sockets so that when I engage the channel, they light up the tubes from underneath and make them look like they're really blazing.
    I'd still love some feedback on name suggestions though; since V-Twin has already been taken by Mesa, I was pondering something along the lines of the "Double Barrel" or "Little Deuce Coupe," with graphics to match of course. Thoughts?

6. OLDGREYGIT

OLDGREYGIT Senior Stratmaster

Feb 7, 2011
    Surrey
    Knucklehead? That's a twin.

skypeace and abnormaltoy like this.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Finally was able to progress a bit more with the build. Everything is firmly mounted, and I got the resistors and caps soldered to the tube sockets. I also went ahead and ordered a set of orange LED's that came in yesterday; I have a set of blue LED's I've used for other builds, but I want to mount the channel status LED's in the tube sockets firing up so that they illuminate the tube directly when the channel is active. With the orange, when I select the channel, the tube will look like it's blazing. :cool:
    I had to pick up a diamond grinding attachment for my Dremel to make that work though; the holes in the bottom of the ceramic sockets weren't quite big enough and needed a little reaming, but they fit now and are glued in place. They light the tubes quite nicely.
    Progress pics:
    IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG

8. suncrush

suncrush Senior Stratmaster

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    What's your input voltage?

I built mine at 18V to allow more clean headroom, and it sound great. I'm looking into building a 41V version using a charge pump to make a 12AY7 or 12AT7 a viable option.

abnormaltoy likes this.

9. suncrush

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    Here's my version. I omitted the tone control. I plan to build a new one with the tube mounted internally so I can mount it on my board.

[​IMG]

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I was just gonna use 12V.
    Did you happen to use a filtering cap on your power supply wires, and if so, what value? Do you have a problem with noise/hum?

abnormaltoy likes this.

11. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    abnormaltoy and Mr. Lumbergh like this.

12. suncrush

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    I did not, and no, I don't have any hum.

13. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    It's been a very busy last couple weeks, and I haven't had a chance to work in this. I did poke around a bit on some DIY forums on breaks at work and found a negative-feedback mod that essentially functions as a "Fat" switch, so I'll be pulling the components tonight to tap a couple more holes for the switches.
    Film at 11.

abnormaltoy likes this.

14. suncrush

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    By the way, highly recommend this for breadboarding tubes:

[​IMG]

abnormaltoy and Duotone like this.

15. suncrush

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    I do not recommend the JJ tube.

16. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Yes, JJs don´t work at 12V esp. the ECC83. Some of the ECC82 work but just use any Soviet or Chinese tube.

All the best,
    Robin

abnormaltoy, Gitrhack and mshivy like this.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Well that's a bummer, JJ are what I have. I'll have to check but I think my Lafayette uses AU's, I'll have to see about a swap when I get home.

abnormaltoy likes this.

18. suncrush

Mar 25, 2014
    Pittsburgh
    Or, since you're going to the trouble of DIYing, spring for NOS. NOS 12AX7's are pricey, but U's, T's, and Y's are all $20. My build uses a NOS Sylvania.

When I needed EF83's, I got 1967 Telefunkens for $35 for a pair.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Have you had better luck with the JJ's running at 18V?

abnormaltoy and Gitrhack like this.

20. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Problem with the JJs is the heater (at 12V) and on many of those the low voltage which should work with 18v at the tube and about 13V for the heater but the problem with 18V is you would have to get rid of the 5V to get the heaters about 12.6 or up to 13V. That is not that easy.
    You would have to turn some serious watt into heat and that is never a good thing in such a circuit in my opinion.
    Maybe the best idea would be to use a 13V transformer AC (wart plug) and rectify and filter that in the pedal. Maybe stabilize the voltage with a regulator but I am not sure if you really need that.
    Just try the JJs if you are lucky they work or you can try other things later.

All the best,
    Robin

abnormaltoy and mshivy like this.