Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Already getting into my next build - Valvecaster tube OD

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by Mr. Lumbergh, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    It's almost sad to see it this way, hopefully it won't stay like this for long:
    Image1499214155.767303.jpg
    The wiring I'm a bit embarrassed about; I hadn't thought it through as well as I thought I had when I started and it got a bit messy. Oh well, fix can be and do better on the next one.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017

2. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    I didn't know you built this stuff :eek:

[​IMG]

Mr. Lumbergh and abnormaltoy like this.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Too many projects! But I was finally able to move forward on this one a little more today.
    I've been having issues with my printer, it's getting to be about 12 years old now, and it's been difficult to get a good print. So, I set this aside while I got the Gretsch project going. I discovered a week ago that there is waterslide decal paper available for laserjet printers, which is about all that's available these days in print shops; I thought the paper was only available for inkjet printers. The order came in Monday, and on the way home from work today Kinko's hooked me up with a couple prints. The HōmBrü Double Barrel Twin Tube Overdrive now has graphics:
    IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    Trying to do this in on a single monolithic decal proved to be a challenge though; as it was drying, wrinkles started to form as it stretched. I spent quite a while with a damp towel smoothing and pushing them down. Most came out, but the areas of heaviest print tightened up more than the other areas, and made it difficult to get them all. The browns almost look like leather though, I hope it stays that way after the final coats of clear are on. I do need to find a good screen printer nearby however; waterslide just isn't gonna be the thing if I get too much more complicated in my designs.
    I'll also be modifying the regulator a bit to run this on 18V rather than 12V as I originally designed it; the feedback I've seen suggests that these types of circuits sound better at 18 and gives it more headroom, so I'll be doing that once I'm done with the pretty stuff and start to put it back together.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Got it all together last night with the 18V power supply @suncrush, and just didn't like it. Too much headroom; I couldn't get much dirt out of it. I also had an issue with an intermittent cutout on Channel 1. I swapped the 12V regulator circuit back in, but I'm still getting the intermittent cutout. I think the switch may be bad on it, so I'll be swapping that out tomorrow, but I'm pedaled-out for today.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    mshivy likes this.

5. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

Looking good there Bry.
    Graphic is cool as hell.
    Now when you say "too much headroom", is it a very mild OD? Because you may have built the next Klon.
    Can you try it anywhere with a very loud tube amp in different stages of breakup?

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Too much headroom is a very mild OD, but it's also noisier. I haven't played it through anything other than my little Vox practice amp yet, but you're right, I should've run it through my tube amp.
    Anywho, I am pretty stoked at how the graphics turned out, so thank you for that. :D:cool:

mshivy likes this.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I'm calling it done. Finally...
    IMG_0001.JPG
    I left it off the board for the past few days because I was getting a nasty crackling and cutting out on Channel 1. I just double-checked that there was no incidental contact with any of the shielding or on any of the wires, and it worked beautifully. I just played with it for a bit to see what sort of tones I could get out of it. This thing loves humbuckers. With only one channel, it's more of a mild OD. Each channel has a "profile" control that changes the cap values in the tone stack, and makes it either warm or snarly, and each channel can have its own voicing. Stacking both channels with gain and volume up on 1 and gain up/volume down gives it very raw, yet compressed-sounding drive that isn't quite a fuzz but isn't quite a straight OD either. Volume down, mid gain on 1 and everything up on 2 gives an OD with a ton of sustain. Very cool, and different from any other dirt I have. I'm not sure I like the chickenhead knobs on it though. I'm pondering changing them, as I think they clash with the graphics too much. I wonder where those Tele players that have shotgun shell knobs get theirs...
    I'll post a demo once I get it all figured out, I haven't played much with it yet.

Raiders757 likes this.