alternate pickup wiring

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Tonespinner 2, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Tonespinner 2

Tonespinner 2 Strat-Talk Member

My first post

I love the Stratocaster instrument but there is one thing that I miss about a two pickup configuration and that is the "hollowed out" sound that can be achieved with the bridge and neck pickups in tandem.
    In my first "partscaster" build I am considering using a three way switch (bridge only, bridge and neck, and neck only) and wiring the bottom tone pot to work with just the bridge pickup (having no tone controls for the others). The upper tone knob would be used as a volume pot for the middle pickup and would be the only activation of such.
    My only concern is the 60 cycle hum produced by using just one pickup. Would this hum be doubled in intensity by using two pickups in tandem which are wound in the same direction (Bridge and neck)?

"anyone who wants the whole show, re mi fa sol la ti do, will find himself with no show. better play the note you know"---One Note Samba song

2. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

nope, noise doesn’t double when you use non-RWRP pickups. Stays about the same as one pickup itself.

If you plan on making neck/bridge combo being the main combo of pickup, you can make those two pickups opposite polarity.

Tonespinner 2 likes this.
  3. Tonespinner 2

I use the "cluck" stops a lot so I wouldn't make the B and N reverse polarity.

4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

You could. Depending on which way you did it, one of your cluck switch positions would still be noise canceling.

5. Tonespinner 2

After some thought I am considering wiring the pickups on my upcoming partsacster to work like the drawbars on a Hammond organ, that is: eliminating the selector swich and tone pots and assigning the three knobs to be volume controls for the three respective pickups. That would give me blending capability and the capacity to gradually morph one harmonic in with the rest as well as allowing me to use the seven possible combinations of three pickups. I believe that with a little practice one could develop a facility for switching pickups equally as fast as using the selector switch. Unorthodox, I know, but I believe that this configuration would open up some expressive possibilities not previously offered in the standard configuration. Your thoughts?

6. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Just add a toggle, S1, or push-pull that bridges the bridge and neck positions.
    Sigler sells 920D pickguards prewired with the mod.
    G&L has been doing it on the S500 from the beginning.
    Fender now does it on the American Performer.

Ebidis likes this.
  7. CB91710

Two problems with this:
    1 - Tone control... concentric pots would solve that.
    2 - Wired as independent (pickup attached to the pot wiper) you would tend to pick up more noise when all pickups are rolled off. Interactive wiring doesn't work without the ability to switch the pickup out of the circuit.

8. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

This.

9. Tonespinner 2

Thank you so much for this info. I will forget about this, then.

10. Tonespinner 2

Thanks so much. This sounds like a more viable option. (Really wanted to have that blending capability, though).

11. tubejockey

tubejockey Strat-Talker

This is the way.

Attached Files:

12. CB91710

There is a blending option.
    Rewire the tone control into a single tone, on the output of the volume pot. That's the '50s Gibson style.
    Now use the 2nd tone pot as a blender for the neck pickup, rather than just an on-off switch.
    Cosmetic advantage is it maintains the original appearance and you don't have a push-pull pot to deal with.