Alternative protection besides socks and t-shirts for guitar stand?

Retroe

Strat-O-Master
May 22, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
Like a lot of folks, I've been wrapping socks and t-shirts around those cheap On-Stage guitar stands to protect nitro finished guitars. But it looks kinda trailer park-ish and was just wondering if anyone has a more aesthetically pleasing solution?

thomquietwolf

Dr. Stratster
Gold Supporting Member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2010
Peardale CA
Like a lot of folks, I've been wrapping socks and t-shirts around those cheap On-Stage guitar stands to protect nitro finished guitars. But it looks kinda trailer park-ish and was just wondering if anyone has a more aesthetically pleasing solution?
Always
Always
7 pairs Socks
7 t-shirts
7 undie-shorts
1 pair shoes
One nite time jacket
In your truck, behind the seat
In case you have to evacuate(fire season)

nadzab

Play Don't Worry
Silver Member
May 15, 2009
New England
I've bought a few sets of these - they are a bit pricey with shipping and they take a while to get here from Japan, but they do look marginally better than most DIY solutions.

Stand Covers.jpg

rocknrollrich

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 8, 2016
philadelphia
Wish I'd gone for the NINA one, gotta be careful my Tele's headstock doesn't slip thru...

View attachment 582540
I bought a double stand (Hercules), and it is a top quality stand. I had to return it because my strat headstocks barely made it, and my tele headstock guitar slipped right through.
I was bummed. It had the auto lock yoke and was really sturdy. It just didn't hold MY guitars tight enough.

rocknrollrich

Jan 8, 2016
philadelphia
Shall I assume a Nitro finished guitar that you care about is not a cheap guitar?

Just stop buying crap stands. Include a quality case, stand and strap as part of quality guitar purchase.
My nitro guitars typically don't spend much, if any, significant time on a guitar stand. Usually they're either in my hands, or back in their cases. Maybe on a stand for a bathroom break or something quick, but that's about it

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
My nitro guitars typically don't spend much, if any, significant time on a guitar stand. Usually they're either in my hands, or back in their cases. Maybe on a stand for a bathroom break or something quick, but that's about it
That's probably wise. It's not my way but I admit, wise.

However, it doesn't really matter. If you're going to spend let's say $1000 on a guitar, why not just spend another $25 for a stand that won't wreck it? 5 minutes or 5 months, there's no reason to spend $15 on a crap stand when $25 will get you a good one.

rocknrollrich

Jan 8, 2016
philadelphia
That's probably wise. It's not my way but I admit, wise.

However, it doesn't really matter. If you're going to spend let's say $1000 on a guitar, why not just spend another $25 for a stand that won't wreck it? 5 minutes or 5 months, there's no reason to spend $15 on a crap stand when $25 will get you a good one.
I agree. I think the issue might be, most stands claim they're safe for nitro, but eh... unless it's leather or cork, it will probably react with nitro.
As an aside, Gibson headstocks have a way of "popping off" Lol. I try my best to keep that from happening.

AntStrat

Dr. Stratster
May 6, 2019
US
900.jpg