Aluminum/Chrome Stratocaster

MT Poteet

Strat-O-Master
Sep 10, 2021
Denco
A friend gave me this guitar to do a simple set up for him.
I am certain the only Fender part on it is the Decal but I' looking for any info I can find on it.

The bridge saddles are non-metallic,I'm guessing for less resistance, and seem to be pretty decent.

The back of the pick guard has a Warmouth sticker and I think the electronics are Warmouth as well. It uses cloth wire and appears to be an amateur soldering job.
The tops of the pole pieces on the pick ups are a bit rounded off, not flat like on my old Fender. The pole piece on the first string is flush with the cover and on the b string, all three are below the cover. 20211008_110200.jpg 20211008_110256 copy.jpg 20211008_111856.jpg 20211008_111941.jpg 20211008_111904.jpg

MT Poteet

Strat-O-Master
Sep 10, 2021
Denco
20211008_111423.jpg 20211008_110312.jpg 20211008_110321.jpg 20211008_110618.jpg 20211008_110724.jpg

The neck has an old set of Shallers on it that are in good condition. It has string trees that appear to be American Standard versions that started in 1987.
This is the only indication of any time frame I could find.
It has what seems to me a very small truss adjustment nut and no skunk stripe.
I don't know what the finger board is,but it is very dark,and very smooth even before cleaning it.
Overall the neck feels really good.
Any help identifying it would be appreciated.

nutball73

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 12, 2013
Southern UK
Non-fender neck, looks like Ebony fretboard. Probably Asian origin.

Bridge looks like a Mexican 2-point from the block, with Graphtech saddles.

The dots on the pickups suggest they are Fenders - can't remember which ones.

Switch tip is Telecaster.

MT Poteet

Strat-O-Master
Sep 10, 2021
Denco

Thanks nutball73

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
A friend gave me this guitar to do a simple set up for him.
I am certain the only Fender part on it is the Decal but I' looking for any info I can find on it.

The bridge saddles are non-metallic,I'm guessing for less resistance, and seem to be pretty decent.

The back of the pick guard has a Warmouth sticker and I think the electronics are Warmouth as well. It uses cloth wire and appears to be an amateur soldering job.
The tops of the pole pieces on the pick ups are a bit rounded off, not flat like on my old Fender. The pole piece on the first string is flush with the cover and on the b string, all three are below the cover. View attachment 512061 View attachment 512062 View attachment 512063 View attachment 512064 View attachment 512065

None of this is Fender - the logo is a terrible example, but perfect example of a phony fake that can't fool most people.....it's wrong in so many ways......it's a late 60s to 70s large CBS style logo on a small pre-CBS style headstock - NO BUENO

It's not even a Squier by the looks of things, worth like $150-200 maximum - the body shape is off and I don't know how anybody with eyes can be fooled by this shape

SonOfLerome

Senior Stratmaster
May 25, 2020
Mandalore
None of this is Fender - the logo is a terrible example, but perfect example of a phony fake that can't fool most people.....it's wrong in so many ways......it's a late 60s to 70s large CBS style logo on a small pre-CBS style headstock - NO BUENO

It's not even a Squier by the looks of things, worth like $150-200 maximum - the body shape is off and I don't know how anybody with eyes can be fooled by this shape
While I agree that this is fake, you’re wrong about the logo. It’s very close to the Dan Smith early 80s one, minus the serial. Even the headstock shape is similar… strange.. I wonder if it was a fake made in the same period?
7A4AC2EC-1135-4F3A-ACC2-971EF526C5DA.jpeg

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
While I agree that this is fake, you’re wrong about the logo. It’s very close to the Dan Smith early 80s one, minus the serial. Even the headstock shape is remarkably similar… strange.
View attachment 512078

I am not in any way wrong about the logo, on 99.9% of Strats ever made, you don't see the combination you're referring to.....and, the fact that the OP's guitar has no walnut insert on the headstock (in addition to everything else that makes it a fake and not possible to be a Fender Dan Smith era neck, such as the shape of the headstock) makes it not even possible to be that Dan Smith era model.....so it has nothing to do with the discussion at hand IMHO sorry

SonOfLerome

Senior Stratmaster
May 25, 2020
Mandalore
I am not in any way wrong about the logo, on 99.9% of Strats ever made, you don't see the combination you're referring to.....and, the fact that the OP's guitar has no walnut insert on the headstock (in addition to everything else that makes it a fake and not possible to be a Fender Dan Smith era neck, such as the shape of the headstock) makes it not even possible to be that Dan Smith era model.....so it has nothing to do with the discussion at hand IMHO sorry
I never said that it wasn’t fake. But your blanket statement “it's a late 60s to 70s large CBS style logo on a small pre-CBS style headstock - NO BUENO” is just wrong.

SonOfLerome

Senior Stratmaster
May 25, 2020
Mandalore
It was a specific statement referring to only the look of the OP's guitar in question - I think sometimes me leaving out a bunch of words and specifics does this.....
Well, the wording was odd to me, but no worries. Was just trying to give OP a bit of info on. what his neck might’ve been trying to emulate.

PCollen

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2014
Florida

....the bridge plate looks American Standard with offset aftermarket saddles, as does the underside of the trem block .

Intune

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
The guy is asking for any help to identify this not “what fender is this?” He obviously knows it’s not a fender.

I have no clue what this is but it’s kind of cool.

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Silver Member
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA

With a Warmoth pickguard and likely pickups, I'd guess it was from Warmoth before Asia. You don't find many chinese necks with ebony fretboards that I've seen. Not a MIM trem, either. They don't have offset saddles. Only American trems have those. The saddles seem to likely be Graphtech.

Last edited: