Alvarez

Discussion in 'Acoustic Soundboard' started by jeremy blaze, Dec 31, 2011.

1. jeremy blaze

jeremy blaze Senior Stratmaster

I posted a few weeks before we got the acoustic forum. I have everything for my tele build, and am wanting to scratch my acoustic itch.

I've been eyeballing this particular model Alvarez at my local music shop.

Alvarez Guitars : Product Information

They have a lefty version, that I enjoy playing. Its not quite as loud and bassy sounding as the Tak they have, but this one does feature a solid top.

Does anyone have any experience with the brand? When I mentioned it before, I got kind of negative feedback.

Unfortunatly I am a lefty so my option are must less. I would love to have them order me a Taylor as they are dealers, but I just can't spend that kind of money.

My options as far as new goes in my price range are this, the Tak, without a solid top, a Fender Hellcat or a Fender Sonoran. But to be honest I have not heard much good regarding fender acoustics.

I would go used, but finding a used lefty acoustic, is even harder than finding a lefty electric.

2. jeremy blaze

3. jeremy blaze

4. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

Go for the Alvarez!!! I own a couple of them and love them. My AD60SCE was my favorite acoustic until I foolishly moved to an arid climate and didn't keep it moist.

I also have another dreadnaught Alvarez (RD30 from the '90's) that I'm thinking about selling. The only reason I'm going to sell it though is because I like cut aways better.

They are fine guitars.

Good Luck

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  5. randelli

randelli Strat-Talker

+100 on the Alvarez

6. Strategy

Strategy Senior Stratmaster

I've got an Alvarez 5021 12-string. I really like it a lot - even more so now that I've recently had it set up, had the action lowered, and put Martin extra lights on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. NorthShore

NorthShore Senior Stratmaster

Never played an Alvarez, but my local tech and another experienced player have both told me in the past that Yamaha's FG720 and FG730 models are wonderful guitars at that price point. That's why I bought one (the FG730S), and it sounds as good as guitars costing twice as much IMO.

8. Tony6Strings

Tony6Strings Senior Stratmaster

Alvarez for sure. They're good acoustics, and they have solid top models that start at really reasonable prices. I think Jerry Garcia played an Alvarez Yairi custom.

9. spanker63

spanker63 Strat-O-Master

Alvarez all the way! Mine has been awesome from day one.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

10. RickleTickle

RickleTickle Strat-Talk Member

Try Seagull!!

My first guitar was an alvarez rd-10 (super low-end student guitar) and I still play it 11 years later. It's definitely not the nicest acoustic guitar I've played by a long shot, but I wouldn't trade or sell it either. Since I was 12 when I started playing, I didn't know or care about climate control/humidifying your instruments etc., and the thing still stays in tune after all kinds of internal bracing damage and replaced nuts and saddles. Yamahas are cool, but there is something about them that feels a little stiff and uncomfortable to me. If I was teaching a beginner and they asked me what to buy I would go with Seagull, hands down. They are made out of really nice woods in Canada and the tone (In my opinion) is incredible for the price. I can't speak to their durability because I've never owned one but the next acoustic guitar that I buy with without a doubt be one of their solid wood series folk guitars. Check seagull out if you want a big bang for your buck, check out that SX if you just want a beater acoustic to throw around, check low-end yamaha if you are into stiff play ability with punchy tone, and finally go with alvarez if you want a mellow, long lasting instrument.