Am I going to do the forbidden?

Kasporr

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Hey everyone.

I've been looking for a new amp quite a while now that will replace my Vox AC30. After a whole lot of research I've come to the conclusion that the brand Egnater really sounds tempting. This because of their versatility and their size (I'm looking for a 1x12).

So, you might be wondering, what's the "forbidden" thing? Well, I'll explain it in short. You see, I've never really bought stuff from the web that I haven't tested out before. A few years ago I bought an amp, a very small and cheap one, over the web. The thing is that before I bought it I had it tested from a friend and therefore I could tell it wouldn't disappoint me.

Now thought with the Egnater I can't test it because I can't seem to find any music store or friend for that matter that has one. This leads to the question; should I just go for it and hope it meets my expectations or should I ditch it all together and go for another amp? I mean, for instance, I would never buy a guitar over the web. I really have to play it first and get that good feeling with the guitar.

Oh well, what do you guys think?

Captain Bb

Strat-O-Master
Aug 8, 2007
UK
As long as the web store has a good returns policy should you decide it's not for you, then I don't see a problem.

abracadabra

Most Honored Senior Member
Oct 5, 2009
UK
I think guitars are very personal as we hold them and how they feel is very important. amps are just sound, which you can get a good idea of from listening to demos and reviews. yes, it's true that you will sound different (with any amp) compared to the demo player, but I think you can get a good idea, especially if you can compare the same player playing the same guitar into both amps (as is sometimes possible on PGS for example.)

plus, as Capt Bb says, with a good returns policy you're not risking too much.

rcole_sooner

Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
...amps are just sound....

Blasphemer.jpg

BTW ... My advice is to keep the Vox. I was not blown away by the Egnaters.

Kasporr

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
BTW ... My advice is to keep the Vox. I was not blown away by the Egnaters.

Yea is there a reason for you getting rid of the vox other than just too much amp? I love my ac15.

Well, the size is my number one reason to get rid of it. But also the fact that I haven't yet found an am that handle pedals worse. I've tried like +10 different OD pedals but I just can't make it scream lead tones. Those two are the reasons to my change and even though it does have some superb sweet spots, it's to me not enough to compensate.

Oh, by the way, rcole. What would you recommend if not anything from Egnaters lines?

chippertheripper

Strat-Talker
Jan 1, 2012
Semass
What kind of tones are you looking for? My bandmate uses an ac30, and gets some massive sound out of it. With an 808, a generic Berlinger vintage overdrive, and some old "reverb friendly" fuzz, it does everything.

rcole_sooner

Mar 11, 2010
Oklahoma City, OK
The thing is, to me, amps are as much a part of the sound as the guitar. No 2 amps are the same. Especially with tube amps. I can see going through amps, faster that guitars, looking for the right sound.

The Egnater was not bad, I just found I played other amps instead.

I've not tried a lot of amps. I still have not tried any Vox or Fender tube amps. I did try the AC4TV, but that is hardly a real Vox.

I have tried Egnater Tweaker 20 and Blackheart Handsome Devil (15). I like the Blackheart better of those 2.

I have an older model Peavey C30, that I love. I sold the Egnater immediately, and the Blackheart is probably not far behind.

I also love my Marshall JCM 800 2204, but that seems a given.

I would like to try a Fender Reverb Deluxe or a Peavey Blues Deluxe. I think those are the right names.

Really there are a lot of amps to try. Like a Dr. Z Maz, if I had the money.

JohnnyL

Strat-O-Master
Dec 25, 2010
Israel
I really like to try before I buy. But one can't always get a chance to do it.

My overdrive pedal was bought without testing and I really loved it.
I might buy a parts telecaster in a few month as Fender doesn't produce any model that I really love - not a lot of variety in the thicker necks department as far as I'm concerned...
Changing pickups also has its risks - and you really can't try them before you buy...

And some of my worst gear was bought after I tried it in a store. You just can't test for reliability, and performance with a full band or with all of your gear. I wasn't happy with my Big Muff, Turbo Rat or Ibanez Blazer guitar... all bought after I tested them in a store (I must admit that they were all pretty cheap options).

So yeah - trying before you're buying is good - but it is not a bullet proof method and not the only way to go.

abracadabra

Oct 5, 2009
UK
Can't say I agree with this at all! My amp plays just as much a part of the equation (even more so) then my guitar.

I can get a ****ty guitar to sound good through a great amp but couldn't make the best guitar sound good through a crap amp.

Shoot me! ;)

obviously everyone would ideally try every product in person before buying, but what I meant with amps was that you don't have to see or hear it in person to get a good idea of its main function: sound. a guitar has to 'feel' nice, an amp doesn't.

of course, you'd want to make sure it was well built and not flimsy etc, but you can get an idea of most of the features of an amp and the sound from online reviews and demos.

I agree 100% that the amp is the most important part of the sound equation.

Kasporr

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
What kind of tones are you looking for? My bandmate uses an ac30, and gets some massive sound out of it. With an 808, a generic Berlinger vintage overdrive, and some old "reverb friendly" fuzz, it does everything.

I'm partly looking for that nice clean tone I've already got. But at the same time I'm looking for a more modern lead sound with a push of a button. I've really been through a lot of OD pedals but I just don't seem to get a great sound with the AC30 and my Strat.

At the moment I'm really in to Fender-ish amp tones (cleans) but I really dig the incredibly nice breakup from my present amp. It's just that I can't get that kind of modern lead sound with either of the two.

Hope you get what I mean.

-------

I have to say that amps aren't just sound. Like a lot of you guys have said the amp combined with the guitar makes a whole lot of the tone. Therefore I'm quite sceptic about ordering something I haven't yet tried.

On the other hand there's this store on the web that does have a 30-day return policy which is quite nice. That means it's not that much to lose if I go for it.

If anyone wants to help out in my search I can add that I currently have around $1500 to spend on a new amp.

Shades of Blue

Jan 28, 2008
South Carolina
Keep the Vox. I have not been impressed with the Egnater's I've tried. I've owned the Rebel 20, 30, and Tweaker. If you like the Vox's overdrive and the sweet chimey tone, you will NOT like the Egnater. I describe Egnater as having a sterile, brittle, harsh tone. Now, it is a VERY clear clean tone, just not for me.

Kasporr

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
Keep the Vox. I have not been impressed with the Egnater's I've tried. I've owned the Rebel 20, 30, and Tweaker. If you like the Vox's overdrive and the sweet chimey tone, you will NOT like the Egnater. I describe Egnater as having a sterile, brittle, harsh tone. Now, it is a VERY clear clean tone, just not for me.

Thanks for the input! What for an amp would you recommend then? I mean, sure, keeping the Vox is by all means an alternative. I just miss the ability to get a sweet lead tone out of it.

EooN

Strat-Talker
Sep 22, 2011
Poland
I hate that when you say that you'd like to change your vox for something else people instead of helping you just keep trying to convince you that the AC's are awesome. Indeed they are, but they might not be one's cup of tea, or they might lack that "something" that YOU need.

I'm in a similar situation - I have an AC15 but I am longing for that snappy attack and sweet bluesy tones of Fender amps so I'm looking for something else. I think I'm going to end up with a Blues Junior which people here tend to describe as "boxy" and "not sounding like a proper Fender amp".
Let your ears decide, listen to some people play it. Doesn't it sound like a Fender amp should? It does! (I'm talking aout the video below) And the amp isn't even modded which (after reading many posts) seems to be obligatory to make this amp sound any good. Ah, the internet experts...

Fender Blues Jr. with Clean Sound - Demo - Blues Junior - YouTube

chippertheripper

Strat-Talker
Jan 1, 2012
Semass
If you forego the cleans on the vox, can you dial in what you're looking for with it at all?
And which version of the ac30 do you have?
Look at the ac30cc2. That thing gives you another channel to work with, it looks like.

Kasporr

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
EooN:

You are absolutely right. It really is hard for some people to comprehend that I'm not 100% satisfied with my AC30.

I'm too looking at Fender amps. I guess buying something like a Deluxe Reverb RI second hand and a fresh pedal board would do the job. Not quite sure yet, though. I just feel like there gotta be some kind of am that is low wattage and with nice cleans and a hot gain-channel.

Chipper:

I've got the later model, the AC30c2. It's in my opinion even hotter and more versatile then the cc2. Not enough for me, though.

And people, don't get me wrong. Yes, I love the AC30 clean and break-up sound but then I love the Fendery cleans too. What I'm trying to say is don't get closed in on the belief that I'm only looking for a Vox replica. :)

thwilliams

Strat-O-Master
Jun 20, 2011
South Houston, Texas
I've had a blues junior for years and I feel like I took a nice upgrade when I got my ac15. I love it because I play mostly 75-150 people gigs so it's perfect to crank and get that sweet tone. I use a ts808 and an xotic ac plus for all my lead tones and I couldn't be happier right now with my tone. It's all personal opinion of course but I'm a relatively newly converted vox fan. Not to mention the built in tremolo...