Am I the only one that hates clean humbucker tone?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Polarbear, Mar 10, 2021.

1. StratifyMe

StratifyMe Strat-Talk Member

To OP’s question. Yes

StratoMutt likes this.
  2. StratifyMe

StratifyMe Strat-Talk Member

But seriously,
    I played a LP for years. It’s all I played or wanted. Now having bought my first strat I was blown away by the totally different voice of a Fender Stratocaster with singles. Do I now hate the Humbuckers? Not a chance, still love them. Why live so single minded. Like them both for what they are.

StratoMutt, Anacharsis and Cali Dude like this.
  3. Polarbear

Polarbear Don Poleone

I’ll happily live never playing humbucker cleans again.

Vermoulian likes this.
  4. danzigdan

danzigdan Strat-Talk Member

This is largely correct. I put a Fender Shawbucker 1 in a single pickup guitar and I've found that to be true. Some of the other Alnico II's seem to be all-around good at just about everything.

HazyPurple likes this.
  5. cglasford

cglasford Strat-Talk Member

I guess i need to clarify, you hate to play it or hate to hear it? And define clean? Like no added distortion from pedals? Because do you not like the Allman Brothers, Skynard, or any southern rock? They almost all played Gibson's direct into an amp. Personally I would play a humbucker all day every day over a single coil if I wasn't allowed to add some dirt to the single coils. They sound thin and lifeless, other than a tele bridge but that is pure country sound to me.

6. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

On jazzboxes w/ the tone rolled well down, I love 'em (though not quite as much as P90's). Otherwise awful. The LP is the worst clean tone guitar ever devised.

Gretsch cleans are beautiful too, come to think of it, sort of soft and crisp at the same time.

7. bsman

bsman Senior Stratmaster

In general, I tend to prefer P90s for "thicker" tones, but there have been some notable exceptions. For about a minute, I had a mid '00s LP Studio with the dreaded 490r/498t pickups. I was really impressed, particularly with the bridge PU. However, for clean sounds, I tend to prefer the SCs and P90s (which I know are SCs, but always sound distinct from "fenderish" SCs to me.)

8. celticgods

celticgods Strat-Talk Member

The only good humbucker is a mini-humbucker, in my humble opinion.

9. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @Polarbear -Buddy

I think single coils sound pretty when clean.
    Also It would be boring if no different kinds of pickups for personal preference/choice ?

10. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I like 58 Classics no matter what they're doing. The 490/498 set in my SG on the other hand does not have very pleasant cleans

11. keys88

keys88 Strat-Talker

It depends on the humbucker and it depends on the amp. My '74 Les Paul with original t-top humbuckers through my Bluesbreaker sounds like absolute heaven, clean or dirty. BB King had a great clean blues tone too with Lucille. And I've always loved Allman Brothers "Jessica" which I think was a Les Paul into a mostly clean Deluxe Reverb. But on the flip side, a really dark amp can make some humbuckers sound muddy. And I don't like high-output humbuckers played clean. They sound overly sterile (like Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters").

StratoMutt and Cali Dude like this.
  12. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

I really like my 11 LP and the 57 classic and classic plus. A PAF clone with alnico 2 and 3 on the plus. I think. It sings. My Lollar too. Especially when I use single coil on bridge.haha but the gibson sings. No regrets.

Cali Dude and StratoMutt like this.
  13. StratoMutt

StratoMutt Most Honored Senior Member

My '73 Lester has magnificent PAF clones in it; ReWind PAF-1 with A4s.

[​IMG]

Bladesg and Cali Dude like this.
  14. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Strat-Talker Platinum Supporting Member

I'm not fond of higher-output Gibson-style humbuckers, but I do like some of the less hot PAFs, and some non-Gibson buckers can be quite good---Filter'trons, for a big shining example. But given the choice for most of what I actually play I prefer single coils. Humbuckers don't twang or jangle as well, which are two sounds I like.

I don't play jazz hardly ever, so the neck bucker jazz box thing is not really relevant to me, although I like listening to it.

Cali Dude likes this.
  15. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

Don't know if they count for the purposes of this thread, but the mini humbuckers in my SG have plenty of sparkle, chime, and punch. You have to turn the guitar's volume knob down, though, to get there. Otherwise they're too hot. But once you do it's one of my favorite clean tones, and I love Telecaster cleans.

16. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

Tokai Love Rock and OX4 PAF style low wind with A4 mags

IMG_3879.JPG

StratoMutt likes this.
  17. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

There is such a thing as crappy humbuckers and great humbuckers; that's why Seymour Duncan and Larry DiMarzio have jobs. Or maybe your amp is a dud.

18. Visualist

Visualist New Member!

It depends on the type of music you're playing.
    Play what is suited to the style of music. That way you're not fighting the guitar/amp settings to get that "sound."
    I play a lot of Standards and Bossa Nova. Twang, generally, doesn't fit in with that.

19. dspellman

dspellman Strat-Talker

But....but...there can BE only one!

20. Southpa

Southpa Strat-Talk Member

Try wiring your HB's out of phase with each other. It adds another dimension to your clean tone.