Am I the only one?

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Per Fender's webpage documentation, the 2022 Player has Alnico 5's in them, would be interesting to hear ceramic MiM era side by side, blind audio comparison. I think Edibis has a 2018/2019 build year, could be wrong on that though. Specs should be virtually identical otherwise. From what I've seen of YouTube pickup magnet mods there are Alnico bars & there are ceramic bars just the same as individual pole magnet pieces. To muddy the waters for this discussion, the 2018-2022 (present) have always been Alnico pickups, never had ceramic pickups. I think if one has the prior MiM Standard that appears to be ceramic or something different from the Alnico V that the Player has always had from Fender & industry documentation. I have to go with the interviews for Q&A to announce the new model. You have Alnico V's in your Metallic Sage Green Player.

"About the new line, Fender said, “As with American Professional and Elite, Fender Player Series takes what was great about the Mexican Standard Series and builds upon it, evolving the instruments to set the bar higher than ever before.” Each model features new Alnico pickups, updated body radii, upgraded bridges, 22-fret necks, and new finishes paired with Fender’s classic logo."

View attachment 561211

View attachment 561209
According to the Fender website serial number search, my Strat was made in July, 2018. However it is not a Player Series. Notice the 6 point trem, and 21 fret neck.

fullsizeoutput_3d8.jpeg

It was a special run of Standard Series done as an exclusive for GC. I've had the pickguard off to do some wiring mods, and it definitely has the MIM ceramic bar pickups.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
For what it's worth...hair shouldn't come from the pickups. That's your amp and whatever gizmos you have in front of it. Pickups should be able to produce a beautiful hi-fidelity clean tone. PAFs do this, good P90's do this, lots of pickups do. Overwound grindy pickups can't do this as well as vintage wind/types do. IME.

I'm with the @El Gobernador on this one. You can always add grit. You can't take it away. I prefer a guitar with nice clean tones every time. I can always use a pedal or amp to make her talk dirty to me.

That leaves me mixed feelings on Ceramics. They do tend to drive a little too hard IME. You can roll them back, but there's a little edge left... and then it's too quiet. But, so many options with amps, pedals, EQ sections, guitar controls - there's nothing absolute here.

nadzab

Play Don't Worry
Silver Member
May 15, 2009
New England
Completely agree...I don't have my Standard anymore, but when I did, I thought the stock pickups were great.

Some of my favorite pickups in a Les Paul are Super Distortions...doesn't get more ceramic than that.

This might be kind of an old trope, but I honestly believe that if the early Fenders had come with ceramic pickups, those would be the sought-after type, and alnicos would be considered weak coffee with skim milk.

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ
Two humbucker equipped guitars.

One has PAF types. AlNiCo II and unpotted.

The other is a ceramic bar type.

What's the difference...if any? And which is which? :)

Bowmap

100 seconds to midnight
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 23, 2017
Third Door Down
You managed to get some great pictures that brought out the pearl. Still it is prettier in real life. Good to hear you are enjoying that as much as I am enjoying my recently acquired big butt hollow body. I like big bouts and I cannot lie.

PlayerOne

Strat-Talker
Jan 29, 2022
Charlotte, nc
My only MIM Strat had ceramics and sounded great. I'm not one to go along with every trend spread on forums like this, so when I found that there were players putting the pickups down, I just let it go as being theie personal preferrence.
As it turned out, those pickups were the only thing I ever liked about that guitar. I ended up trading it because every time I oiled the rosewood fingerboard it turned a different color, finally turning a faded green that I could not live with.

rocknrollrich

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 8, 2016
philadelphia
So I guess y'all know that I got this new (to me) Strat 2 weeks ago.

View attachment 561112 View attachment 561113

It's a 2018 FSR MIM Standard (I guess it's the last of the Standards) in Sea Foam Pearl.

After much fiddling around with the setup, I got it like I like it. The guitar is outstanding, in build quality, playability, and sound. I'm more than happy with it. Ecstatic as a matter of fact.

So here's the thing. I have said before that I don't really dig vintage style pickups. I don't chase vintage tone. I like some hair on my sound. I even prefer Texas Special pickups over weaker, vintage output style Strat pickups :eek:.

After playing this Strat pretty much constantly for two weeks now, I have come to the conclusion that I really like the stock MIM ceramic pickups. They have girth, and a smoothness on the high mids that I really dig. They almost stray into P-90 territory. Almost. They actually are similar in construction to P-90's, with steel pole pieces and dual bar magnets.

They OHM out at 7.02K on the bridge, and 6.8K on the middle and neck. I know you really can't tell much from DCR readings, but It's all I can measure.

These pickups have a higher perceived output than the Texas Special clones in my other Strat, and they drive the amp harder. They work really well with higher gain settings, and OD pedals.

Am I the only one that really likes these oft looked down upon, maligned, stepchildren of the Strat pickup world? It seems like many folks just imediately relace them, and throw them in the junk drawer. Are any of you rockin' these?

I just did an internet search and it says you're not supposed to like them. Just trying to help.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
According to the Fender website serial number search, my Strat was made in July, 2018. However it is not a Player Series. Notice the 6 point trem, and 21 fret neck.

View attachment 561233

It was a special run of Standard Series done as an exclusive for GC. I've had the pickguard off to do some wiring mods, and it definitely has the MIM ceramic bar pickups.
Looks like for the GC Special, they did a parts run out on the 6 screw Trem & Ceramic pickups for the GC Special ? Going to 2 screw Trem & Alnico V's on the Player.

A different chase with your new information. amother difference the Players went to 22 frets, your GC has 21. They both sound fine in the videos.

joebtone

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Jan 26, 2022
Northwest US

View attachment 561233

You could be liking the balance of the non staggered pole thingy’s too.

gitlvr

Strat-O-Master
Sep 1, 2008
No. Va
Everything I have has ceramic pickups. Squier Bullet & Affinity, Monoprice Telecasters & Epiphone LP P90's. I agree with you that the ceramic pickups are maligned. But by the same token, there has to be a reason the biggest rock legends use some level of Alnico magnets. I'm content with the ceramics I have & see no reason to chase Alnico pickups with no guarantee they're going to be better, they may even be worse.

This is a stock out of the box Bullet that gets a few cosmeltic changes. I don't expect anyone to watch the entire videos, skip around and hear what you like or whatever.

This video is his Bullet vs a 1962 Fender.

Love me some Dave Simpson!

CigBurn

Total Hack
Jun 22, 2014
Same Shed Different Day
I've probably fallen for internet recommendations and much as the next guy. honestly I can't really say one way or the other if I have a preference based more than on my own confirmation bias.

Food for thought while I put up fencing today.. yay me.