1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Am Original 60s Strat Wiring Issues

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by rmp3864, Oct 18, 2020 at 10:26 AM.

1. rmp3864

rmp3864 New Member!

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with the tone and volume pots on my new American Original 60s Strat, and before I send it in to the shop I thought I'd have a look inside to see what the issue is (seems like it's just a bad soldering joint). I should say I bought this guitar brand new from Guitar Guitar a little over a month ago.

I'm a little concerned as to some of the parts names/numbers on the inside as they don't seem to line up with the info from fender's website (https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/...ratocaster 0110120XXX SM REV A 10-16-2017.pdf).

I'll attach some photos.

Specifically I'm talking about:
    1. The body is an "AM CLSC 60'S STRAT OWT ALD PLAC PWT". Shouldn't it be AM ORIG 60'S STRAT..?
    2. I was under the impression there was a poly finish under the nitro, but I can see through to the wood in places under the pickguard. Does this mean the nitro will eventually wear through?
    3. The pickguard is a "PG ASSY AM CLSC 60'S STRAT MG/BMG RH". Again, shouldn't it be AM ORIG?
    4. And finally, I am worried that someone has replaced the electronics and done a shoddy job of it. I'm having issues with the pots not working, and I can't see any serial numbers on the pickups. Although I'm less worried about that as the magnets are clearly high quality, and sound better so far than anything I've ever played.
    5. The neck is definitely Original Series, so no worries there.

If anyone here who's more knowledgable about these things could take a look, that would be very much appreciated. Again, it's going into the shop soon anyway, but I thought i'll get a few opinions here regardless.

Thank you in advance!
    Rhys :)

IMG_4877.JPG IMG_4930.JPG IMG_4917.JPG IMG_4916.JPG IMG_4926.JPG IMG_4921.JPG IMG_4918.JPG

Jerseystratfiend likes this.
  2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

No worries, those stickers are internal factory assembly designations that have been used for years on vintage reissue type Strats, and have just been carried over to subsequent models (which still use the same basic components with minor variations).

The electronics look original, and Fender never labels or serializes their pickups.

Nate D and Scott Baxendale like this.
  3. Ebidis

What specific problems are you having with the pots?

Nate D likes this.
  4. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

The wiring looks original

5. rmp3864

rmp3864 New Member!

Thank you for the reassurance on that first point.

It kind of seems like the pots are dropping in and out. Occasionally all three will work as expected, and then there will be a scratchy noise, and then none of them have any effect on the guitar tone/volume at all, with everything defaulting to completely opened up. That is until you wiggle them around again to get the scratchy noise and get them back in.

This is the only example of it that I have recorded and not deleted. You're hearing the bridge pickup with the tone slightly rolled off, but in the middle of me playing there's a scratchy noise and the filter cutoff raises to full.

soundcloud.com/rhys-997/am-orig-60s-strat-pots-issue/s-bS5247h69PA

EDIT: Sorry, it really doesn't want to imbed my link.

6. Ebidis

Does it do this on any other switch positions?

7. rmp3864

rmp3864 New Member!

yes, all five

8. Ebidis

It sounds like there is a short in the switch that is bypassing the pots and sending the signal straight to the output jack.

Can you see any contact (like a stray solder blob) between any of the switch terminals?

It should be covered by Fenders warranty if you don't want to mess with it, or replace the switch yourself.

Nate D likes this.
  9. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

I've seen the "AM CLSC" designation fairly consistently on Amercan Original models since 2017.
    Apparently they were going to be called American Classic.
    Everything looks correct for an AO60s.

I don't see anything obvious in the wiring.
    I'd suspect something internal to a pot or at the switch contacts.

Warranty time.

10. CB91710

CB91710 CB91710 in a Legible Font Double Platinum Supporting Member

That all looks completely legit. If it's happening in all switch positions, then it's likely a bad ground on the #1 tone pot.
    This model does not have a separate ground wire from the chassis to the pot shells, instead relying on the volume pot to ground the pickguard plate, and the tone cap grounds through the shell of the middle pot to the plate.
    If that tone pot is the slightest bit loose, it won't have a stable ground... but that would only impact the tone controls.
    The pickups and input jack ground to the volume pot, and they are separate connections, so if one were to lift, it would silence the output.
    If it were mine, and I otherwise liked everything about it, I'd check and make sure all 3 pots are secure, and re-heat the connections on the volume pot shell.

As far as the name, even if/when they rename it in a couple of years, the internal part number and name will likely remain the same.

Highway One was discontinued and replaced by American Special in what... 2012?
    Yet my 2017 American Special has this neck label...

Neck-PN.jpg

11. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Silver Member

Pickguard assembly and decals are correct for AO60's.

I'd get it fixed under warranty if it's only a month old.